04-09-05 PCB Trip Report Span 14 and Hover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darcy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Better late than never!

Saturday I went out on Divers Den’s boat Splash, for an 8am show. The Gulf was like glass and we had a smooth hour boat ride out. We first dove Bridge Span 14 where we were at 75’ for 29 minutes. Air temp 72, water was 59, vis 45-50’. We saw many large jacks, and a big school of spadefish that I nearly had to push aside to get by. Vis got worse toward the end of the dive as the current picked up.

For the second dive Elmo took us to the hover craft so we could poke around for bugs. Flipper tied in and tried to squeeze in a hole to get a large one, but was unsuccessful. I didn’t see any bugs at all. On this dive we were at 78’ for 23 minutes, we were a little chilly towards the end of this dive. I vowed to not wear the hood again this season and the cold go to me a little. On this dive air temp was 73, water 58, vis 40-50’. We saw a lot of bait fish, again lots of jacks and some smaller schools of spade fish. Some spearfishermen on the boat speared a jack. Yum, dinner.

Coming back in around 1pm I noticed about 300 yards from the mouth of the pass the distinct line of demarcation where the emerald color Gulf tide was coming in and meeting the coffee colored bay water. I’d never noticed anything like it before. The bay is still very dark brown. I hope it clears up to look like it does offshore soon.

darcy:
Better late than never!

Saturday I went out on Divers Den’s boat Splash, for an 8am show. The Gulf was like glass and we had a smooth hour boat ride out. We first dove Bridge Span 14 where we were at 75’ for 29 minutes. Air temp 72, water was 59, vis 45-50’. We saw many large jacks, and a big school of spadefish that I nearly had to push aside to get by. Vis got worse toward the end of the dive as the current picked up.

For the second dive Elmo took us to the hover craft so we could poke around for bugs. Flipper tied in and tried to squeeze in a hole to get a large one, but was unsuccessful. I didn’t see any bugs at all. On this dive we were at 78’ for 23 minutes, we were a little chilly towards the end of this dive. I vowed to not wear the hood again this season and the cold go to me a little. On this dive air temp was 73, water 58, vis 40-50’. We saw a lot of bait fish, again lots of jacks and some smaller schools of spade fish. Some spearfishermen on the boat speared a jack. Yum, dinner.

Coming back in around 1pm I noticed about 300 yards from the mouth of the pass the distinct line of demarcation where the emerald color Gulf tide was coming in and meeting the coffee colored bay water. I’d never noticed anything like it before. The bay is still very dark brown. I hope it clears up to look like it does offshore soon.

Uh, didn't lobster season end March 31? Unless you were looking for Slipper Lobser (yum!).

Great report, glad you had fun. I still want to get out there one day and dive that hovercraft - seems like alotta fun :)

We had fun diving that coffee colored water on the very same day in Destin :D Take what you can get, when you can get it. Still had fun and got wet after 3 weeks of drying up.

Yeah, slipper lobster. That's the ticket.

SBM glad you got to go diving. Even a bad day diving is better than a day doing anything else, IMHO. I would be beside myself if I had to wait that long. I went last weekend and I'm all ready starting to feel a little off. Or I'd be in the bathtub with my snorkel on. I'll be back on the boat Saturday and I'm READY to be diving again.

Flipper called me today and said they only had 6 go out, plenty of room for one more. So cruel. But alas I must work for the man. So I can pay for my dive gear. GRRRR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom