The inmates are running the asylum.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a joke! I’ve no problem with banning plastic grocery bags but ziplock bags? C’mon.
Wait til they tell you your wife cant go into the Mega with you bc of covid restrictions! LOL

I think there's plenty of denial on both sides frankly. There are people who think there's nothing to worry about and it's all a hoax. There are also people who insist that everything is getting worse by the day and the world is going to come to an end. And there are people who are too young to know any better, that never heard of every car burning lead, every block in places like Pittsburgh having a smoke stack spewing out toxins, companies dumping in the rivers and lakes, Indians on commercials crying about litter on the road, and never experiencing actual smog. In many ways the environment is the cleanest it's been in my lifetime. Other ways not. And then there are those that think having the strictest regulations on Earth will magically fix everything, when in reality, jobs and production will seek the most profitable source in countries that don't give a damn and increase net global pollution. Full disclosure, I recycle, I car pool, I walk when I can, my next vehicle will likely be an EV and I've done cleanup dives. But as is true of nearly every debate in existence, reality is usually somewhere between the extremes.

This kind of fair and balanced assessment is going to make you hated by both sides.

That is the dirty big secret no government and very few environmentalists want to talk about. The vast majority of plastic trash in the ocean is lost and discarded commercial fishing gear. All should watch the Netflix funded original documentary ‘Seaspiracy’. What an eye-opener. “Dolphin safe” canned tuna and seafood? Certified sustainable seafood? LOL! No such things.

Actually, marine-based sources only make up 20-30%. The remaining 70-80% is from land-based sources.

How much of ocean plastics come from land and marine sources?

The original scientific paper is linked in there as well.

I would be happy if folks could get an honest answer from their local governments as to where exactly the plastics in the recycle bins are currently ending up.
All of it is ending up in landfills these days. The 3rd world former global recyclers of the 1st world’s trash isn’t accepting it anymore because only about 20%-30% is profitable to recycle so the rest was burned or just piled up everywhere. Since they won’t take it anymore and most 1st world countries have virtually no plastics recyclers rest assured that when you put a plastic bottle in a recycling bin it will be sorted out and end up in a landfill now. The “recycling” of plastic in China and Malaysia and Indonesia and that general region was doing more environmental damage than good. They finally decided they weren’t going to be the world’s discarded plastics landfill anymore.

Looking at the statistics provided by those scientific studies another just posted, if only 3% of the global plastic produced makes it to the ocean it would appear we don’t have a plastics problem but a containment problem and looking at the primary sources of that 3%, the majority of it is coming from a select group of countries. Seems to me if those few countries could get a grip on their trash and contain it the vast majority of consumer plastics making their way to the ocean would be stopped. So it appears the countries that have the best or at least better containment of their trash are the ones the world points their fingers at screaming about how much plastic they consume when they aren’t the ones responsible for the problem.

Wait til they tell you your wife cant go into the Mega with you bc of covid restrictions! LOL

That has been over for a long time and was only in place early on during covid and when there were large amounts of Covid on the island.

Right wrong or just plain dumb luck - the restrictions that were in place here really were not a big deal at all and we look forward to enjoying tomorrow and not worrying about yesterday.

My kids all use reusable zip lock bags for their lunches, they are like different size pencil pouches with legit zippers.

My wife got them to save the environment and at first it was annoying but it's been 1 year now and it's a non issue.

With the price of zip lok bags, they are less expensive as well.

For larger sizes I always use small drybags, if you keep an eye out you can get them on sale cheap. Cheap enough to not be concerned about damaging them. And they usually have d-rings and such on them that do come in handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom