Hooded Vests? Best? Worst? Best buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
Searched for a current thread on this, but didn't find one. I'm Looking into a hooded vest in the 5mm range and there are a number of contenders. Scubapro, Pinnacle, Henderson, Bare all have an offering. Any preferences out there?

The best ones are comfortable, hood fits, and water doesn't go down the neck.
5mm might be pretty thick; don't forget you have to put a wetsuit over it.
I've had Henderson, Exel, and probably a couple others. My favorite right now is not hooded, but it is a great vest, made by Waterproof.

The best ones are comfortable, hood fits, and water doesn't go down the neck.
5mm might be pretty thick; don't forget you have to put a wetsuit over it.
I've had Henderson, Exel, and probably a couple others. My favorite right now is not hooded, but it is a great vest, made by Waterproof.
It's debatable whether to put the vest under or over your jumpsuit. I've tried both and prefer the hooded vest over my wetsuit, as I think it's more comfortable and makes a better seal with my skin.

The other part of the argument is, when I'm buying my wetsuit I fit without the vest, so I know it fits right without it. Now if put the vest inside it's going to fit tight. Vest over the wetsuit does not affect the fit.

When I get cold (anything below 80 F) I use a 5/3 Henderson. I use it over my 5mm wetsuit.

My favorite hood is my Bare Ultrawarmth 7/5 drysuit hood.

I have a Bare 5/3 hooded vest (or is it a 7/3? I can't remember for sure now) that I rarely wear, but when I have worn it, it has been very comfortable and warm, including the hood part being very comfortable.

I prefer to wear it over my wetsuit, so my Bare 3 and 5mm wetsuits are XL and my hooded vest is XXL. That arrangement fits me and works well.

I like to wear it on the outside so that I can put it on last and take it off first. I have never found any hood arrangement to be all that comfortable when I pull it down around my neck, so I don't like to put the hooded vest on first, as that would mean I have the hood up all the time, or have it pulled down and uncomfortable. Also, if I'm wearing the hooded vest, when I get out of the water, I will take it off, but I might still leave my wetsuit on and zipped up (possibly with a boat coat over it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom