Back in the Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion: Another point that needs attention: Lots of divers dive in that area. DAN needs to educate that hospital ER staff if it has not already. Another accident can happen and yet another diver is injured.

The hospital there is small but basic care for diving injuries is available: lots of oxygen and a phone call to DAN.

Welcome back Trace and I have to say, I feel like my head would have exploded in that situation. I hope that your recovery continues.

Your tale about the hospital is bizarre. And that a lawyer wouldn't take on your case is equally bizarre. It would have been fascinating to see how the Doctors responded to "interference" from DAN. If nothing else, it may have made a legal issue easier. My wife had her leg broken while on a dive boat (a RHIB) driven by an incompetent moron. We similarly had trouble finding a lawyer to take on our case, but eventually we found someone, and ultimately, the operator settled with us.

Thank you for sharing your story. We can file this under the "If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone" department.

Trace, so great to have you back on Scubaboard with us! Missed you terribly. Of course, I wish things were different for you.

Welcome back Trace and I have to say, I feel like my head would have exploded in that situation. I hope that your recovery continues.

Your tale about the hospital is bizarre. And that a lawyer wouldn't take on your case is equally bizarre. It would have been fascinating to see how the Doctors responded to "interference" from DAN. If nothing else, it may have made a legal issue easier. My wife had her leg broken while on a dive boat (a RHIB) driven by an incompetent moron. We similarly had trouble finding a lawyer to take on our case, but eventually we found someone, and ultimately, the operator settled with us.

Thank you for sharing your story. We can file this under the "If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone" department.
Thanks, Stoo. I know. It's crazy all around.

If I had to do it all over again when I called DAN immediately after I started my own oxygen, I would have had DAN call the ER at River Hospital and tell them a diver was on his way in and what the treatment should be.

I learned of this in June when a CBC showed my blood Hg to be 5.0 on the dot. My PCP called the ER and told them I was coming in. They took me right away and started O negative (my blood type) transfusions. I was in the hospital 5 days because 2.5 years of constant vomiting probably created the bleeding ulcers that lead to the drop in Hg.

Regarding lawyers, I searched the Internet for lawyers who were divers by reading their bios. I even found one who was once a professional lacrosse player and a divemaster. I coached college lacrosse, so I thought we'd have an instant connection. He wouldn't take the case after looking into it. An ex-girlfriend who became a nurse suggested they may have rewritten the records to reflect a standard of care. My case is now beyond the time period to file a lawsuit.

Lots we could have been done after Monday morning QBing. Turns out my friend who owns a commercial diving company happened to have a chamber on site just 9 miles away that day. Had he known, he would have chambered me himself.
Despite the hospital’s clear negligence, in these cases, the victim will always have regrets and blame themselves to a degree, as you have done. I think it’s okay for others to discuss the ideal way to proceed should something like this happen but we can do away with the “why didn’t you…” way of bringing it up. It’s all in how you say it. Let’s learn our lessons here and move on without the hindsight 20/20 “you should’ve” stuff. Thank you for sharing your story Trace, not easy to do on these platforms. It will help others avoid similar outcomes but leaves you open to reliving your own self-criticism and what-ifs which I’m sure you don’t need at this point.

Welcome back. Many of us had wondered where you were.

Welcome back. Many of us had wondered where you were.
Thanks, Jim. My girlfriend and I were hoping to go freediving in the Keys and called Rainbow Reef. I told them to say, "Hi," but they my have forgot to tell you. She ended up deciding to put off a trip so we didn't get down. I went to the 1,000 Islands instead.

Thanks, Jim. My girlfriend and I were hoping to go freediving in the Keys and called Rainbow Reef. I told them to say, "Hi," but they my have forgot to tell you.
I "retired" from RR on March 1, 2020. I have been back 4-5 times as a guest captain filling in here & there. We are back in High Springs, same house on the same river that we have had since 2004.

Welcome back, Trace! I'm so glad you're back in the community.

Would you care to talk about how you became bent on the dive and what DCS symptoms you noticed throughout the event? Totally understand if not, but I'd love the extra education.

Welcome back, Trace! I'm so glad you're back in the community.

Would you care to talk about how you became bent on the dive and what DCS symptoms you noticed throughout the event? Totally understand if not, but I'd love the extra education.
I might do that, but I discovered social media isn't healthy for me, so I'm going to leave SB like I did Facebook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom