Ever wonder why your carry on gets searched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, try traveling with a Pakistani wife with the last name Khan and a teenage son with a wannabe beard and long hair like a taliban. random search, my ass. Our daughter got swabbed for bomb residue when she was 11 months old.

Funny part of it is, though, that I get searched and pulled aside almost every time we are traveling within Pakistan. We even got followed around up north by ISI and all the check points on the highway knew I was coming.

Well, you have me beat. I'm sorry your family goes through that. I am chosen for a "random" search most of the time that I fly alone or with friends or family. I pack my scuba gear in my checked bag, but I am often asked to open it and show them or explain certain things like regulators or lights. I often get a pat down even though I didn't trigger a scanner.

In land border crossings, I have had my passport held up to the light and been accused of a missing page, which there wasn't. They missed a page while counting. I've also been asked umpteen questions about water/depth/temperature/site conditions apparently to see if I know the answers.

The funny thing is that when traveling with my husband, who is white, I have never been searched or asked to open my bags.

Once when traveling to Vegas with a friend of mine who is a pilot, she told me that the code for a random search was on my boarding pass, and sure enough, at security they told me I had been selected for a "random" search. I can't remember what the code was now, unfortunately, but it was something simple. The secondary search code on a boarding pass is SSSS.

I got used to gear inspection and swabs but what irritates me is that they pat me on thighs and shoulders every time I exit the look through machine.

Rarely do my carry-on bags get searched. Occasionally, I get asked to go into the x-ray scanner. They tell me I was randomly flagged. When my reg bag or roller get searched, it is usually in threes. And then I go for a long time with no searches.

I have been asked about our SCUBA diving. I have been asked where we are staying or who we are diving with. Otherwise, easy peasy. I usually carry two reg sets and two computers in my reg back pack. I never pull them out of the bag so they can be scanned separately.

My pony (or ponies) are in my checked bag. It has not been searched in years as I have not found the notice inside, and the thin fibers I rig on the zippers are not disturbed.

My wife never gets her bags searched and she hasn't gone through the x-ray scanner in years.

Once, my rifle and case were swabbed for GSR. I told the lady that she will definitely find GSR as I shot the gun while hunting. She found GSR, closed the case, and sent me on my way.

cheers,
m

For what it's worth I just flew BOS-SEA to do a few dives and TSA didn't search my carry-on bag either way-- and that's the piece of luggage with my regulators in it. On the other hand, my computer bag got searched both ways because that's where my "sure-to-get-inspected" item is stored. After getting my wrench seized in Hong Kong a few years ago (I disassemble my 1st/2nd stages and SPG to enable more compact packing and need a small, adjustable wrench for reassembly), I learned that tools that can be used to disassemble the plane were not allowed to fly onboard. The HK TSA folks showed me their training manual and sure enough, there was a drawing of a crescent wrench.

Knowing the SoP, I make sure that my reassembly tools are in the computer bag, not the carry-on bag. Once TSA opens the carry-on, it takes a while to get it repacked properly. Hate that part...

Once, my rifle and case were swabbed for GSR. I told the lady that she will definitely find GSR as I shot the gun while hunting. She found GSR, closed the case, and sent me on my way.

cheers,
m

I know what you mean, but…

TSA does not swab or check for “GSR” (gun shot residue) That’s what the Police do to check to see if you’re the guy that just did the drive by shooting.

TSA and the like do swab and sniffer tests for actual explosive chemicals, not gunpowder.

@BoundForElsewhere <<Heathrow with my bagpipes got guns leveled at me>> I think they knew they were bagpipes. :) It's like the "use an accordian go to jail" bumper sticker.

Oh I get it. Took me a second, though.

Well, you have me beat. I'm sorry your family goes through that. I am chosen for a "random" search most of the time that I fly alone or with friends or family. I pack my scuba gear in my checked bag, but I am often asked to open it and show them or explain certain things like regulators or lights. I often get a pat down even though I didn't trigger a scanner.

In land border crossings, I have had my passport held up to the light and been accused of a missing page, which there wasn't. They missed a page while counting. I've also been asked umpteen questions about water/depth/temperature/site conditions apparently to see if I know the answers.

The funny thing is that when traveling with my husband, who is white, I have never been searched or asked to open my bags.

Once when traveling to Vegas with a friend of mine who is a pilot, she told me that the code for a random search was on my boarding pass, and sure enough, at security they told me I had been selected for a "random" search. I can't remember what the code was now, unfortunately, but it was something simple. The secondary search code on a boarding pass is SSSS.

Kermit the frog sang about it not easy being green. I wonder if there's a brown version.

My scuba gear usually gets acknowledged as scuba gear, but I have one of those little handy credit card-sized tools, which is just a flat piece of metal with built-in ruler, bottle opener, and flathead. (It was convention swag.) It usually gets flagged, then cleared. I've since removed it from my carry-on.

For what it's worth I just flew BOS-SEA to do a few dives and TSA didn't search my carry-on bag either way-- and that's the piece of luggage with my regulators in it. On the other hand, my computer bag got searched both ways because that's where my "sure-to-get-inspected" item is stored. After getting my wrench seized in Hong Kong a few years ago (I disassemble my 1st/2nd stages and SPG to enable more compact packing and need a small, adjustable wrench for reassembly), I learned that tools that can be used to disassemble the plane were not allowed to fly onboard. The HK TSA folks showed me their training manual and sure enough, there was a drawing of a crescent wrench.

Knowing the SoP, I make sure that my reassembly tools are in the computer bag, not the carry-on bag. Once TSA opens the carry-on, it takes a while to get it repacked properly. Hate that part...

Forgot to mention that, for this trip, I didn't bring the wrench but substituted "one of those little handy credit card-sized tools". Looks like that shape is programmed to light up a TSA scanner. Who woulda' thought?

yeah, try traveling with a Pakistani wife with the last name Khan and a teenage son with a wannabe beard and long hair like a taliban. random search, my ass. Our daughter got swabbed for bomb residue when she was 11 months old.

Funny part of it is, though, that I get searched and pulled aside almost every time we are traveling within Pakistan. We even got followed around up north by ISI and all the check points on the highway knew I was coming.

Yup. Two of my three names are middle eastern (southern Turkish), as is my look and beard... especially if I have a tan going. Main reason I won't fly to or even through the USA anymore even with my Nexus card. My youngest son passes visually as indigenous here in North America and he gets 'selected' every damn time even flying domestic in Canada... should have named him Chad lol

Back
Top Bottom