New Scubapro S-Tek (BP/W BC's) Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compare that with most normal plates around $75 or the cadillac of plates (freedom plate) at $225. Of course, you'll also need about $50 for webbing and hardware (not included with SP plate either) and you'll spend another $300 on a wing.

usd

I think of the freedom plate more as a hand built sports car rather than a mass produced luxury truck.

Now comes the insanity...

the dir-style harness without anything else 315 euros. (370 dollars)

This is Halcyon-style pricing. I know they have alot of fans, but for me Halcyon always felt like half of the price is the logo and half of the price is the gear. It seems scubapro based their pricing on a similar model...
Nope. Halcyon harness is £80/€100/$120 -- Halcyon a bargain.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Scubapro are off their trolley!

Ya’ll may want to go down to a dive shop and take a look at b/c costs, try thinking like a complete newbie who is scared to death at the thought of changing out a hose on a regulator, those people do not possess the knowledge or experience to even begin to deal with unlimited options associated with the best mix and match of this generic plate, that webbing, where to put, let alone how many, D rings, lift etc. they buy jacket b/c’s because they used a loaner and it involves no thought! I agree this set up is pricy but look at the Atomic b/c, even the hydros pro or the average shop sold b/c and the price comes more in line with what people are paying for plain old stuff. To expensive? Yes, at least for me but I hope they prove very popular so that the price on the used market slides into the reasonable realm.

Nope. Halcyon harness is £80/€100/$120 -- Halcyon a bargain.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Scubapro are off their trolley!

I made a mistake there. I mean the harness + plate. The pricing is basically the same as Halcyon's as far as I can see.

well half the price for brands your LDS likes to stock is markup

I am not sure about in the US but in our region, the SP dealer's mark up is very low to the point of being ridiculous. The dealer gets really squeezed between the manufacturer and the customer.

Well, you folks are ignoring something here, the other plates and harnesses from other manufacturers are all copies of each other with very little engineering and R&D costs. They were also produced before the recent surge in manufacturing costs and crazy jump in metal costs too. SP's product cost a lot of $$ in R&D and engineering time in addition to the VERY high costs in manufacturing and raw material. We are living in a different world today. You all should go out and get second and third jobs for you to be able to pay for the new toys when the raw materials, shipping and manufacturing costs catches up with your favorite products.

In Australia:
The S-Tek pro Harness SS is the same price as the S-Tek Pro Harness Aluminium, which is strange.
The S-Tek Pure Harness Aluminium is $175 cheaper.
The whole Pro system is $158 more expensive than the Pure system [S-Tek]
My X-tek Pure SS system was $66 cheaper than my Hydros pro and $324 cheaper than the S-tek Pro SS Pure.
My Hog SS system was only $126 cheaper [smaller wing at 23lb the expensive part] than the X-tek SS Pure.
That is in $AU.
Different setups for different diving, too old and lazy to change plates and wings [except for travel].
I do mix and match when bored and in the mood.
Confused yet? :idk:

Compare that with most normal plates around $75 or the cadillac of plates (freedom plate) at $225. Of course, you'll also need about $50 for webbing and hardware (not included with SP plate either) and you'll spend another $300 on a wing.

usd

Fine. Go to DGX or where ever and buy a generic economy brand set up. Will it do the same as a SP or Halcyon rig. Yes of course, of course you need to build it and set it up yourself, hopefully getting the adjustments right

People buy the Atomic T3 which is double the cost of the top of the range Legend - using UK prices (the bench march reg according to Chris at Deep 6 - I'll take his word for it). Is the T3 twice as good. Nope, the fact its Ti is IMO a liability. The Atomic Venom Mask, again highly expensive - people buy it. I was given one to use it was no better - generally less to than my prefered mask brand which was considerably cheaper.

What I will say about SP is it's typically German industrial tank like build. My colleague had a SP jacket. Expensive and heavy. after 3 years of full time teaching in the pool and sea it still showed no wear - unlike other brands

If you don't like it don't buy it. I think the Freedom plate is a gimmick but appreciate the craftmanship of its hand built form

@lexvil absolutely hits the nail on the head with the vast majority of divers who don't want to be faffed with equipment and see it only as a means to go diving

What I will say about SP is it's typically German industrial tank like build. My colleague had a SP jacket. Expensive and heavy. after 3 years of full time teaching in the pool and sea it still showed no wear - unlike other brands

Exactly!

I still have my SP "Classic Plus" BC jacket that I have had since 2001 and used it extensively and almost exclusively until circa 2014. It still looks like new and, like you said, it is built like a tank. Same experience with the Scubapro BC's I have in my dive schools equipment fleet. The same can't be said about equipment, BC's and regulators, from other manufacturers. I have had my SP frameless mask I am still using today since 2001 too. I replaced my SP snorkel in 2012 (I bought it in 2001) because somebody dropped a tank on it and broke it. I still use the "new" SP snorkel on every dive since I bought it in 2012. I use Atomic regulators mostly however but have and use SP's in the rental/training fleet and they hold up much better than the other brands. BC's and other equipment from other known brands, other than SP or Atomic, don't hold up in rigorous use or in the long term as SP's and Atomic equipment do. SP's jacket BC's, especially the mid range and higher, fit much better than anything else in my experience. SP equipment hold their value much better than other brands too. I have had a very difficult time trying to sell our schools lightly used BC's, regulators and dive computers made by other known vendors and had to sell them for almost free where SP equipment will command much better price (I can sell them for what it will cost me to buy brand new ones) and I'll have no issue whatsoever in selling them quickly (I don't sell my SP equipment however).

Back
Top Bottom