Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thought I’m that I’m at little risk of getting hit by a boat while I’m 70 feet under or on initial decent so I don’t feel the need to carry a flag while drifting in Jupiter or WPB so long as the capt. knows my dive plan. Uncontrolled emergency ascents aren’t part of my dive plan.

On ascent I deploy an SMB from depth and listen and look for boat traffic. I also do a quick 360 once I’m at the surface (before inflating my bcd). To think a flag is somehow more visible than an SMB to a boater who doesn’t know what either of them mean is foolish. A surface marker is just one form of risk mitigation. Staying vigilant is another (better) tool.

I’ve heard from trustworthy sources that the primary reason for the sinking was that the bilge pump wasn't working correctly. It wasn't fully operational. Also, the captain was a fairly new captain which would explain his failure to act promptly. He probably won't have his license much longer.
If accurate, I’d say the non- functional bilge pump may have been a secondary reason for the sinking. Primary reason would be that all that water found its way into the boat. I would bet that the boat would not have sunk, even with a dead bilge pump, had the boat been tied in at the bow.

If accurate, I’d say the non- functional bilge pump may have been a secondary reason for the sinking.
Read up on the "get we" out of Key Largo. When water shifts in the hold due to momentum, it has huge effects.

If accurate, I’d say the non- functional bilge pump may have been a secondary reason for the sinking. Primary reason would be that all that water found its way into the boat. I would bet that the boat would not have sunk, even with a dead bilge pump, had the boat been tied in at the bow.

I would bet it also would not have sunk with a functioning bilge pump and an experienced captain. I’ll let the experts determine which was primary.

re: DSMB vs. Flag

This should (maybe imperfectly) solve the problem: (yes the flag is 12" x 12" and self supporting)

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes
Carter Personal Float

CBGF_500x600.jpg

Read up on the "get we" out of Key Largo. When water shifts in the hold due to momentum, it has huge effects.
Thanks, I did read up on that a bit. Definitely interesting, and something to consider. In a lot of cases where water is coming in, the first instinct is to start moving forward. It depends on the boat design. Self bailing decks may be able to get out of it, but a deck that drains to the bilge must rely on the bilge pump to get the water out.

I would bet it also would not have sunk with a functioning bilge pump and an experienced captain. I’ll let the experts determine which was primary.
Fair enough. No argument whatsoever about the captain. That’s most likely the primary cause. Had the boat been tied up by the bow, it’s likely that the water wouldn’t have entered the boat in the first place. Forcing the bilge pump to have to deal with it. Even a properly sized, and functional, bilge pump may have trouble dealing with the amount of water that can come in when it’s coming through the transom, and as the transom gets lower, the rate in which water enters increases. A functional bilge pump gives you a chance to fight, and correct the issue, but there is a point where even a great bilge pump, or two, may not be able to get the water out faster than it is coming in.

You could get away with just your bcd alone without anything else, as you can orally inflate it and don it on the surface. Even easier without the tank or weights. You could orally inflate the SMB as well for extra floatation.

You could get away with just your bcd alone without anything else, as you can orally inflate it and don it on the surface. Even easier without the tank or weights. You could orally inflate the SMB as well for extra floatation.

Well, my concern wasn't much about me sinking :D - with my wetsuit on, I'd float without any problem - high surge or not.
I was mostly concerned about my gear and valueables going down with the boat :wink:

Received the refund today for my (and my son's) two-tank dives, plus his two 80cf Al rental tanks. (It showed up as a credit for $192.70 on my discover card.) So at least we got that taken care of.

I spent about an hour at Volvo today waiting for them to replace the car key. Apparently a software package has to be downloaded. Car keys have evolved quit a bit during my lifetime. I was on the phone again with SFDH about my mobile phone and the key fob. They took my number and name again. I suspect I'll be calling them daily for a while till I can get the manager or owner.

Honestly, though, I think I'm over the trauma of the sinking. I'm ready to go diving again. Wish I had a tropical sea in my back yard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom