UAE East Coast Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surely this is a stargazer

P5281382.jpg
P5281390.jpg

It's HOT ....... DAMN HOT

First time I've experienced water temps over 30C on the east coast, and I struggled on Friday almost succumbing to heat stroke after the first dive on Cauliflower Garden.

So the first dive did not go to plan.

Rule number 1 .... if it doesn't feel right bail out!

Two of the group of four had already bailed for various reasons for our planned dive on Cauliflower Garden off Dibba Rock (40m dive with planned deco).

This left @RainPilot and myself to do the dive.

I was on backmount doubles and Rainpilot on sidemount. Planned gas was EAN28 with EAN50 for deco, 25 min bottom time and a total run time of 44 min.

Rainpilot's gas analysed a bit rich at 30%, but he was fine with that, and we loaded the boat, with an additional bottle of 100% just in case. There was also no sign of the AL80 with 100% that had been promised. Another two divers who were planning some Sidemount training joined us on the boat but they were diving closer to Dibba Rock for some training. The boat was dropping them off five minutes after we descended as planned.

As we got closer to Cauliflower Gardens, one of the other guys prepared the shotline (anchor attached to a buoy) and dropped on the location indicated by my GPS. Rainpilot and myself dropped off and met at the buoy before descending together. Vis was pretty good 10m+ and at 20m we cold see the bottom and at 30m we reached the anchor WTF! ....... the line was 10m short :mad:

Anyway we dropped to 40m and no cauliflower corals to be seen as the buoy had been drifting with the waves and we were no longer on the site. We swam around for a bit searching for signs of the corals but found nothing apart from a dead stingray which was really weird with only remaining white cartilage indicating it's last resting place.

It was at that point I discovered that my housing was not closed properly and my TG5 had flooding :mad:

On the ascent we both had minor equipment issues. Rainpilot's swivel on his short hose was leaking and blowing bubbles so he had to shut that tank off, but we were close to switching to 50% at that stage so it wasn't too bad. I then noticed that my LP inflator was leaking also and having to continually dump gas from my wing, so I had to disconnect the hose to manage the situation.

The boatman was not exactly helpful when we boarded and for some reason did not pull up the shotline, which was something neither Rainpilot or myself was prepared to do after this dive, so we drove back to pick up the other two divers then had to return to pick up the shotline. Surface temperatures by now were in the low 40s and I was cooking.

We were planning on doing a second dive off the breakwater to shoot some macro (I had my DSLR with me too for that purpose) and only once in the water I discovered my strobes weren't firing, so had to exit and change batteries. Then on the swim out to the area I lost everyone in 2m vis and 33C water temperature I was exhausted so I surfaced not far from Marine, one of our buddies for the dive and was aided back to the shore and transported to the dive centre via the hotel golf cart buggy.

I wasn't quite out of it, but very close to severe heatstroke for sure. Stripped off the wetsuit and moved to the dive centre indoor pool in air conditioning and recovered fairly quickly.

Not my best day's diving that's for sure.

Thanks to Rainpilot and his wife for your support and Marine and the dive staff for assisting me.

It makes for a crappy day out doesn't it. As mentioned before we have very high summer bottom temps in the Gulf compared to you, Friday was 31C @ 21m already with surface temps up in the 40's. By the month's end I'll reach 34-36C bottom temp. You physically dehydrate whilst diving and already at high risk when you surface, then have 50 - 60C surface temps to content with.
I've learned a hard lesson last year when I suffered from heat related issues on a boat dive in mid Sept and that was the last "brave day out" for me. Despite all the early preparations etc. I succumbed to the conditions for the first time in 5 years, lucky in the previous years I'm sure. My window for diving is rapidly closing and especially off-shore has closed, July / Aug will see the influx of jellies, everything just turns nasty.

Pity about your TG5, and good luck for the rest of summer, dreaded time.

Quite the hectic day, Searcaigh!
Glad it ended well.
It happens to us all.

Weekend diving was generally unfortunate photography-wise.

My Olympus tg6 battery suddenly died from 50%.
My dive light also ran short.
I normally get a few dives before I need to recharge it.
Maybe it's time for new batteries.

But the diving was great.

On paradise reef, I saw no fewer than ten massive cuttlefish. Most were either just done fornicating or my presence hindered it haha.

I also saw File Fish which is always nice.

On Saturday, Khalid and I had Inchape 10 all to ourselves.
Because the other two boats went up north, inch 10 that day was teeming with life.
A few nudibranchs here and there. A lot of squirrely mantis shrimp.
One was trying to transport a broken shell to it's den by lifting or above its head. But it was going against the current and the shell was effectively a parachute.
Amusing few seconds.
The resident ray under the stern.

Midway through the dive, a shoal of fish made their way to the wreck. There was already another shoal of fish at the wreck.

These two shoals then attracted large predator fish.

Khalid then signaled that he'd ascend. I still had a solid ten minutes of NDL, so I decided to stick around a bit more.
At that point I was done with the macro and was just casually enjoying the sea life as a whole.
Something serene about having the site to myself and just taking in the energy. There was so much energy. I was hovering about five meters over the center of the wreck. Completely enveloped by the two shoals when suddenly on the starboard side, the shoals parted and, for what felt like a lifetime, a few seconds later I am face to face with an incoming, at high velocity, eagle ray.
I propel myself upwards as it as cuts through the shoal.

Majestic.

P6050058.jpg

On Friday's afternoon dive to Ruby reef, just as I was ascending I saw a couple of medium size barracuda, then moments later the whole school appeared. They were swimming past me. I'd already set my camera away and was in dismay that I couldn't record this.
Then they suddenly changed course and started circling around me.
Wonderful I thought and quickly got my camera ready.
It was a mesmerizing experience.
As I was taking pictures of them, I noticed that not only was their pace of speed increasing rapidly, but from my vantage point, the radius started growing smaller and smaller. They were going aroundme faster and drawing closer.

It was a dizzying few moments before I realized what was happening.
This must be their hunting tactic.

And what an immensely successful one!
I felt like a prey.
The tactic attacks you on two facets. Physically and emotionally.
I was physically going into a state of dizziness and on the emotional front my heart rate was rocketing.

This sensation was further amplified as the radius shrank.

After realizing what was happening I slowly starting ascending. Very slowly, lest I appear that I was fleeing. We've all seen those national geographic documentaries where the fleeing prey triggers the predator to chase them haha.

They ascended with me from 22 meters to about 17 meters before reforming from circling to single file.

I was diving solo and I think I'm glad I was. Because a partner may have gone into flight mode, that could've triggered the barracuda to go into attack mode.

It's very important to remain calm and realize what's happening so you can actually figure out what to do.

Rainpilot's gas analysed a bit rich at 30%, but he was fine with that
I never told you but it was a calibration issue, probably due to the high temp and humidity. Calibrated on an air tank and then it was bang on the planned 28%

All the drama aside, was great diving with you.

Yesterday we dived New Reef (aka Snoopy Deep).
Nothing of note. Still no frog fish.

Then we dived Inchcape 1 - was teeming with shoals of fish.
I saw an electric ray rapidly swimming along the sea bottom till it "pounced" on a completely submerged stargazer (the one I mentioned a few weeks ago). How'd it see it?
I need to document that pufferfish with the massive tumor. Its the size of a small grapefruit now. Poor thing.

Then we went to Dibba Rock. I navigated to that plateau, more like a crater. Completely hidden from view because around it, its about 13 meters deep, when you look up, it looks like the rocks are jutting out the water, but theres a side passage that leads into this platuea thats about 6 meters deep. Its essentially a nursery.
Juvenile everything. Citron Goby. Piccaso triggerfish.

It was significantly colder this week compared to last - surprisingly my dive computer registered 25c as it did last week. But everyone commented that yesterday felt colder.

At night we went to Sharm three rocks.

P6110077.jpg
P6110044 (1).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom