Waterproof W7 5mm wetsuit - First impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update:

I got the W7 in size 2XL. A customer ordered one in Large Plus. When it came in, he tried it on and it was too big for him. So, I tried it on and it fit me perfectly. It feels just a little bit tighter than the 2XL around my torso, but still totally comfortable. And just slightly shorter in the legs and arms, which is actually better for me. Still not as tight as the Bare Reactive (size XL) I've been using since 2019.

The biggest difference is that the wrist and ankle seals on the 2XL were somewhat loose around my wrists and ankles. When tucked in on themselves, they would hold water in. But, the seals on the L+ are much closer to snug (though still just a tad loose until they are tucked under themselves).

Anyway, I dived the L+ 6 dives over the weekend. All in water that was about 64F/18C. 4 dives on Saturday, for a total of 170 minutes. All with a Waterproof H1 7mm hood (no bib), and ScubaPro 6.5mm boots. First dive on Saturday with no gloves. All the rest, with Bare 3mm Ultrawarmth gloves. Sunday's 2 dives totaled just over 1 hour, between the 2. Everyone around me on both days were in drysuits.

For the record, the deepest of the 6 dives was only 33 feet (10m).

The only time I got cold was on the 4th dive on Saturday. On that one, I was driving my scooter the whole time (45 minutes) - so no work at all to keep me warm, plus water rushing past me the whole time. By the end of that, I was starting to get cold - but not shivering.

I put the suit on my HangAir dryer over night, so it was dry on the inside for Sunday. 2 dives on Sunday and still never cold.

Each time I got in the water, I could feel the water coming in the suit as soon as I was in past my waist. So, it's definitely no semi-dry. That was a bit of a chilly shock at the start of the first dive each day. But, from what I can tell, once the water got in, it warmed up and stayed in. Absolutely minimal flushing of water in and out.

I didn't even unzip the suit at all between dives. I just put my Surf-fur parka on over it during each surface interval.

I can't say whether it is warmer than the Bare Reactive. But, I am very pleased at how warm it is, and how much better it fits me. Also, it goes on much easier than the Bare. And it has pockets!

I like it to much I already sold my Reactive 5mm to a friend. I have never worn a 7mm that I liked, but I might actually get a 7mm W7. I think that might extend my wet diving all the way into the high 50s for water temps. Especially after the neck seal option is available in the US (in 2022).

For comparison, suits I own and their sizes that fit me best:

ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2, 5/4, and 7/5: XXL
ScubaPro PyroFlex (1.5): XXL
XS Scuba Pyrostretch 7: XXL
Bare Reactive 3 and 5: XL
Bare Exowear Full (1.5): XL
Waterproof W7 5mm: L Plus

Update:

I got the W7 in size 2XL. A customer ordered one in Large Plus. When it came in, he tried it on and it was too big for him. So, I tried it on and it fit me perfectly. It feels just a little bit tighter than the 2XL around my torso, but still totally comfortable. And just slightly shorter in the legs and arms, which is actually better for me. Still not as tight as the Bare Reactive (size XL) I've been using since 2019.

The biggest difference is that the wrist and ankle seals on the 2XL were somewhat loose around my wrists and ankles. When tucked in on themselves, they would hold water in. But, the seals on the L+ are much closer to snug (though still just a tad loose until they are tucked under themselves).

Anyway, I dived the L+ 6 dives over the weekend. All in water that was about 64F/18C. 4 dives on Saturday, for a total of 170 minutes. All with a Waterproof H1 7mm hood (no bib), and ScubaPro 6.5mm boots. First dive on Saturday with no gloves. All the rest, with Bare 3mm Ultrawarmth gloves. Sunday's 2 dives totaled just over 1 hour, between the 2. Everyone around me on both days were in drysuits.

For the record, the deepest of the 6 dives was only 33 feet (10m).

The only time I got cold was on the 4th dive on Saturday. On that one, I was driving my scooter the whole time (45 minutes) - so no work at all to keep me warm, plus water rushing past me the whole time. By the end of that, I was starting to get cold - but not shivering.

I put the suit on my HangAir dryer over night, so it was dry on the inside for Sunday. 2 dives on Sunday and still never cold.

Each time I got in the water, I could feel the water coming in the suit as soon as I was in past my waist. So, it's definitely no semi-dry. That was a bit of a chilly shock at the start of the first dive each day. But, from what I can tell, once the water got in, it warmed up and stayed in. Absolutely minimal flushing of water in and out.

I didn't even unzip the suit at all between dives. I just put my Surf-fur parka on over it during each surface interval.

I can't say whether it is warmer than the Bare Reactive. But, I am very pleased at how warm it is, and how much better it fits me. Also, it goes on much easier than the Bare. And it has pockets!

I like it to much I already sold my Reactive 5mm to a friend. I have never worn a 7mm that I liked, but I might actually get a 7mm W7. I think that might extend my wet diving all the way into the high 50s for water temps. Especially after the neck seal option is available in the US (in 2022).

For comparison, suits I own and their sizes that fit me best:

ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2, 5/4, and 7/5: XXL
ScubaPro PyroFlex (1.5): XXL
XS Scuba Pyrostretch 7: XXL
Bare Reactive 3 and 5: XL
Bare Exowear Full (1.5): XL
Waterproof W7 5mm: L Plus
@stuartv Quick Question about the wrist seals. Before you tuck them under themselves, how many fingers can you get under them?

I bought a Medium and it fits absolutely perfectly everywhere else (snug but not restrictive) but my experience is similar to you of the sealskin wrist seals not being super snug, even when doubled over. I'm still 95% sure it's the write suit size for me, but figured I'd ask! Thanks!

@stuartv Quick Question about the wrist seals. Before you tuck them under themselves, how many fingers can you get under them?

I bought a Medium and it fits absolutely perfectly everywhere else (snug but not restrictive) but my experience is similar to you of the sealskin wrist seals not being super snug, even when doubled over. I'm still 95% sure it's the write suit size for me, but figured I'd ask! Thanks!

How fingers can I get under them without stretching them AT ALL? None, I don't think. But, they still seem looser than what I would have expected.

BUT, they have a decent amount of length to the seals inside the sleeve, so I can tuck them up pretty far under themselves. That gets the tucked end up to a thicker part of my wrist/forearm, so they still seem to seal just fine.

It's the same for the ankle seals, and I can say this about how well they seal: When I get out after a dive, I will have water in the legs and that water will stay there indefinitely, until I unzip the ankles and pull the ankle seals back rightside out (or at least pull them open to break the seal and let the water out).

That's super helpful. Mine is definitely loose in the wrists (I can get a finger under it without stretching it and it still feels like theres a bit of space even with it doubled back) but the suit fits perfectly around the ankles and everywhere else. I had bought a medium and wondering if I should try a small/tall given your experience of effectively sizing down one.

Thanks for your quick reply @stuartv !

I bought a W7 5mm ML/T a few weeks ago and it fits me like a glove. Very happy with it indeed. No flushing and wrist ankle seals not loose. Might get the optional neck seal in due course when available. I find it very easy to get on and off and the inside dries very quickly. I also like its lightweight as compared to my Scubapro EverFlex. Currently diving in temps of 18C here in Cyprus, depths anywhere from 10 to 30m and done 20 dives in it so far. Two dives to 30m tomorrow on Zenobia so should be nice and snug.
Happy Days :yeahbaby:

Back
Top Bottom