Waterproof W7 5mm wetsuit - First impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been diving dry over the winter since October, but recently my four year old drysuit has been more of a damp suit over the past few weeks (Rofos). Seals are fine but the dump valve (Apeks) was definitely leaking under 10m so I replaced it two weeks ago, but I was still getting damp.

I took the suit to one of my LDSs (Dive Garage in Dubai) and asked them to pressure check it etc.

Dive Garage is the local Waterproof agent and associated with Divers Down on the east coast of UAE, and one of the staff mentioned they had received a new 5mm wetsuit from Waterproof, the W7.

Previously I have tried on Waterproof wetsuits and could never find one to fit me properly, so I never bought one. My previous wetsuits in the past decade have been Mares and Fourth Element.

Anyway with that preamble over, I tried on the new W7 and it fitted very nicely so I bought it.

W7 - Waterproof Diving

Last Friday I took it for its first splash and happy to say that it did the job, although I was wearing it with a Scubapro hooded vest, which given the bottom temps of 23C I would still be in my drysuit.

Anyway before I get accused of being a wimp at these temperatures and considering where I'm from and learned to dive in almost single figure temperatures, I've been living and diving in Middle East for well over 30 years.

The suit is fantastic, very flexible at the elbows and knees which makes getting the fins off in the water very easy.

I had a spare torch in one of the ample pockets, and the seals around the ankles and wrists are as good as drysuit seals with no movement of water, which I'd say are as good as a semi-dry.

Speaking of pockets, there's a small blue tab/loop thing inside of each pocket, and I'll be looping a piece of bungee in each to clip off anything I put in there (e.g. wet notes, reel, etc.).

Extremely happy with the purchase :D

full

Great piece @Searcaigh, Suit looks very nice.

I do get cold easily and barely move around during most of my dives as I shoot macro and was very comfortable during the second dive.

We have pretty extreme temperature differences here at times. Last Friday the air was around 36 and it gets a bit sweaty in drysuit undergarments sometimes. I recorded 42C on the drive back from Fujairah to Dubai in the afternoon. But with bottom temps rarely exceeding 23C off Fujairah / Kalba decent thermal protection is required as I lack the necessary bioprene to dive without it.

I hear you regarding temps here and feeling the cold. I often tell people that at this time of year the exposure suit is only good for 1 third of the dive. the rest you're either too hot or cold.

I've had the W3 for 3, perhaps 4 years. Like you, I supplement it with a 1.5m shorty I wear underneath and them a 2mm hooded vest, which I generally wear on top, thus I can put it on at the last minute so as i don't melt on the boat (you'll understand)

I even wear the hooded top in the summer when up North in the Musandam, as those thermoclines can be vicious -I dive with the hood down, and pull it up as we pass hit the chilly stuff

I couldn't be happier with the W3 its lasted well - 3 years in teh Middle East is pretty good. I'd certainly buy another Waterproof suit

Post purchase I checked the Waterproof site again and discovered that there is an optional neck seal for this suit. So I popped round to Dive Garage my not so local LDS and picked one up (150 Dhs / US$ 41 ish).

The seal attaches to the wetsuit using velcro into a slot sewn on the interior at the front of the wetsuit.

full

First dive yesterday 23C at the bottom and no issues.

I found that putting the neck seal on before fitting it to the suit was the best way to manage this and vice versa for removing it.

Really loving this suit.

I bought mine today, I started with no suit in the Caribbean 27*C all year long pretty much, and then moved to Netherland and went to drysuit, now I'm Bahrain and I need a 5mm to dive in winter here when the FK lockdowns ease off

I'm Bahrain and I need a 5mm to dive in winter here when the FK lockdowns ease off

Is there no diving off Bahrain at the moment?

Is there no diving off Bahrain at the moment?

There was for a short period, but I didn't bring my dive gear with me to Bahrain, I'm on vacation in Nederland and I will bring some of my basic dive gear with me, but now they imposed lockdown again, as there is a surge in cases, but then it will be kind of impossible to dive in summer, so now I have to wait for October till May to dive in Bahrain

Many of us who have been out here in the Gulf for some time now use drysuits in the winter :D

I do get cold easily and barely move around during most of my dives as I shoot macro and was very comfortable during the second dive.

We have pretty extreme temperature differences here at times. Last Friday the air was around 36 and it gets a bit sweaty in drysuit undergarments sometimes. I recorded 42C on the drive back from Fujairah to Dubai in the afternoon. But with bottom temps rarely exceeding 23C off Fujairah / Kalba decent thermal protection is required as I lack the necessary bioprene to dive without it.

You guys have it good with the bottom temp. I'm in skins since end of April here in Qatar. Air temp 38C on Friday, bottom temp at 19m is already 30 / 32C, it's warming up quickly and in a months time it'll be 34+ bottom temp, like swimming in a hot spring. Window for diving is closing rapidly, when the air reach 45C + and bottom is 36C you dehydrate under water, not a nice experience tbo.
Bahrain will have similar temps to us I think.

Back on topic that looks a good suit from travel or winter diving here (water temp around 10C then), love the zipped wrist and ankle cuffs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom