RAID Performance vs IANTD Essentials vs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Syllabus-wise, what are your thoughts on those two courses? (IANTD actually list Recreational, Tek Lite, and Tech as three different levels of Essentials) Is there any similar non-tech tune-up training you would recommend, beside GUE Fundies and UTD Essentials?

IANTD is just cool

full.png

International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers - Wikipedia

My first IANTD course was the Advanced Recreational Trimix and it was excellent.

Of course it also depends on the Instructor. My experience with three different IANTD instructors were all very positive.

NAUI's is just as good as the rest of them from a curricula aspect and most of the instructors on the technical side are quite competent as well so don't discount that. I think you have a bigger risk of a mixed bag with IANTD than GUE/UTD/NAUI
Would the equivalent course be Master Diver or NAUI FIT? I missed it while doing research bc PADI has given somewhat of err a “reputation” to the Master Diver course title :p

As with many things, it will depend on the instructor, that being said....

It all depends what you are looking for. Since you stated "non-tech tune-up" then all of the various offerings would work for you, some would represent a better return on investment. From a "not going to tech" starting point, GUE Fundies would probably be a very expensive route to follow, though there is no arguing the skills would be solid. UTD Essentials of Rec, same deal but slightly cheaper (usually)

There is also the UTD Extreme Scuba makeover which focuses on the in-water skills, without going into some of the more Kool-Aid adjacent stuff, it is also a single day course.

RAID Performance Diver can be done in any config you are currently diving, the skills output would be similar (on paper) to GUE Fundies, though it would depend on the instructor again.

If you ditch the stipulation on "non-tech" then NAUI Intro to Tech is a good option, there are no actual deco dives on the course but the skills for tech diving translate well into safer, more enjoyable rec diving.

Honestly, if you don't need a card, I would approach some Tech instructors and explain what you are looking for and accomplish the same with mentoring. No cert fees or other agency BS and you can work out a bespoke curriculum based on your needs. It will almost always work out cheaper and more targeted. Just remember that if you do get the tech bug, most of these courses act as prerequisite courses for further training so you will need to get the card if you plan to progress further.

Would the equivalent course be Master Diver or NAUI FIT? I missed it while doing research bc PADI has given somewhat of err a “reputation” to the Master Diver course title :p

NAUI Intro to Tech. It's a pre-req for any of their tech programs.

As with many things, it will depend on the instructor, that being said....

It all depends what you are looking for. Since you stated "non-tech tune-up" then all of the various offerings would work for you, some would represent a better return on investment. From a "not going to tech" starting point, GUE Fundies would probably be a very expensive route to follow, though there is no arguing the skills would be solid. UTD Essentials of Rec, same deal but slightly cheaper (usually)

There is also the UTD Extreme Scuba makeover which focuses on the in-water skills, without going into some of the more Kool-Aid adjacent stuff, it is also a single day course.

RAID Performance Diver can be done in any config you are currently diving, the skills output would be similar (on paper) to GUE Fundies, though it would depend on the instructor again.

If you ditch the stipulation on "non-tech" then NAUI Intro to Tech is a good option, there are no actual deco dives on the course but the skills for tech diving translate well into safer, more enjoyable rec diving.

Honestly, if you don't need a card, I would approach some Tech instructors and explain what you are looking for and accomplish the same with mentoring. No cert fees or other agency BS and you can work out a bespoke curriculum based on your needs. It will almost always work out cheaper and more targeted. Just remember that if you do get the tech bug, most of these courses act as prerequisite courses for further training so you will need to get the card if you plan to progress further.
All very excellent advice! Thanks a lot!

Thanks everyone, i think Ive got enough to make a decision when I can travel again. Brushing up on theory in the meantime (thanks to RAID’s free e learning). Watching you all happily splashing makes me miss the water dearly. My country is still a long way out.

Back
Top Bottom