Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In early March, >53% of infections on Bonaire were B.1.1.7 (UK) variant. Dollars to lion fish burgers it’s a much higher percentage now. B.1.1.7 is more contagious, infects more kids and younger patients than the original, and patients developing COVID-19 from the variant apparently have fewer comorbidities (e.g., school sports may be a significant vector). Kids bringing it home to their families is a significant change. Perhaps these factors help explain why Bonaire’s having such a hard time quelling the tide.

The Brazilian variant is also supposedly serious for younger folk too.

How can it be found out which variant, if any is causing the majority of illness and worse, for the peoples of Bonaire especially and the ABC's generally?

The bulk of Bonaire's infections are in people between 20-49. Hopefully in the future vaccines will be rolled out to prevent the most likely spread of the disease instead of to the most vulnerable. Most people 60 and over can stay home. People in hospitals, schools, banks, government offices, etc. may not have that option and those look like the biggest vectors for spreading this virus, but I'm just a retired electrical worker.

Update:
Things are looking better than they have for a while. Maybe some optimism is in order.
The surge in infections has passed, and the feared "Easter Surge" has not (yet) happened. There is still time...
upload_2021-4-10_13-58-30.png

This was not entirely believable because the testing-positivity rate had been so high, but even that seems to be dropping now:

upload_2021-4-10_14-1-38.png

The vaccination program is going pretty much as planned; yesterday's report was 5907 total with a first shot, 2222 with both shots, almost 10k registered and waiting. They are managing about 2k injections per week, against an about 20k population. They could be finished by July!
They will be finished with their second 2-week "phase 6" lockdown next Friday. It is anticipated to hear on Tuesday or Weds if it will be continued or lightened.

IF the numbers keep dropping -- including testing-positivity -- and IF there is no "Easter Surge" and IF the local vaccinations get completed, THEN two things would seriously help open the doors again for folks from the US: (1) AA actually flies there from Miami instead of continuously cancelling flights, and Delta begins on June 6 from Atlanta as now scheduled, and (2) the Netherlands lessens the testing requirement to enter Bonaire AND/OR they allow vaccinated passengers to skip the testing.

A note on the current testing requirement to enter Bonaire (details at Q&A's reizigers - Crisiswebsite van het Openbaar Lichaam Bonaire):
You can show a PCR test (taken less than 72h before arrival in Bonaire) AND an antigen test (taken less than 24h before departure for Bonaire)
-- or --
You can show a NAAT test (includes PCR, RT-PCR, and some others, but NOT antigen) taken less than 24h before departure for Bonaire.

People from the US are currently flying to Bonaire via Aruba or Curacao but that adds some complexity and cost not everyone wants to endure. Most are waiting for direct flights to restart.

The only thing actually preventing tourism is the government of Bonaire.

If you are requiring tests to visit the island, then all the "if this, then that" regarding local cases is anti-science comforting of the hysterical.

The airlines aren’t helping either. United cancelled my October flights- it is not clear that is due to concerns that Covid restrictions will affect travel. Delta and American are currently very pricy for the same dates.

The only thing actually preventing tourism is the government of Bonaire.

If you are requiring tests to visit the island, then all the "if this, then that" regarding local cases is anti-science comforting of the hysterical.
if you want to rant, best to rant at the right people.
It is the Netherlands that is setting the testing requirement for Bonaire, not the government of Bonaire.

The airlines aren’t helping either. United cancelled my October flights- it is not clear that is due to concerns that Covid restrictions will affect travel. Delta and American are currently very pricy for the same dates.
Bonaire has not restricted flights from the US. The US airlines have decided not to fly there. This may be coupled to passenger uncertainly, due to testing requirements, or whatever. American has flights beginning May 8, we'll see if they hold to that. Delta says June 5 for them. United said screw it, and cancelled until Nov 6 with the proviso that they may start up again.

I retract my wording. I was rushing and should not have started my response with "the airlines are not helping either". I know that the government of Bonaire has not restricted the flights from the US. The decision not to fly is an airline business decision.

I was trying to counter deco_martini, because the testing requirement doesn't really matter until the airlines decide to fly. To me, the testing requirement is completely understandable given the current situation on the island. I hope the situation on the island improves quickly. I do hope that we will be able to visit in the fall.

I'm irritated with the current pricing of the other airlines, I am also irritated by what seems like a very early decision to cancel on United's side- who knows, maybe they did it so that they can eventually reschedule the flights and charge twice as much as what my cancelled tickets cost.

My irritation is definitely not with the government of the island or the government of the Netherlands who are just trying to protect people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom