US travelers banned from FSM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is too late though, considering a lot people must have cancelled and cannot easily reinstate the tickets.
Fortunately, I was able to get a refund from Sam's Tours in Palau after some initial delays and back-and-forth.
The Mangrove Bay Hotel in Pohnpei has gone completely silent after 3 calls (including promise of refund) and 2 emails.
I will likely do a chargeback and recommend folks here avoid them.

As of this morning FSM is calling for a 30 day quarantine in a non-coronavirus country before being allowed into the FSM. They are lumping all the US states together, not considering state-by-state cases. There are people here in Majuro now doing their 30 day quarantine so they can go home to FSM. This info is from a local newspaper reporter.

As of this morning FSM is calling for a 30 day quarantine in a non-coronavirus country before being allowed into the FSM. They are lumping all the US states together, not considering state-by-state cases. There are people here in Majuro now doing their 30 day quarantine so they can go home to FSM. This info is from a local newspaper reporter.

Wow! United and IATA did update to say below today though (China only):

MICRONESIA (FEDERATED STATES) - published 13.02.2020
1. Passengers who have been in China (People's Rep.) on or after 6 January 2020, are not allowed to enter Micronesia (Federated States).
- This does not apply to airline crew.

Given the general malaise in the Pacific Islands, regulations are liable to be over-enforced, erratic, or not enforced at all. The Marshall Islands have been battling 3 different epidemics for the past 6 months, and are very proud that they kept the measles epidemic that caused so much havoc in the South Pacific, out of the Marshalls. The response to the coronavirus is liable to be "robust".

Given the general malaise in the Pacific Islands, regulations are liable to be over-enforced, erratic, or not enforced at all. The Marshall Islands have been battling 3 different epidemics for the past 6 months, and are very proud that they kept the measles epidemic that caused so much havoc in the South Pacific, out of the Marshalls. The response to the coronavirus is liable to be "robust".
Yes - When I talked to the hotel in Pohnpei yesterday, they told me the President of FSM did not really lift the ban and it was just a rumour. What a mess. Hope people won't board the plane based on IATA database and get denied entry upon arrival.

Luckily, they did issue the refund after all. Time to plan a trip elsewhere! lol

If anyone needs a real and very sobering reality check, here are CDC stats for this year's flu season: Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates.
I am not concerned about the health risk of the coronavirus myself. But it does impact international travel quite a bit.
It is frustrating that I had to cancel my trip to Palau and Chuuk which I planned and booked 8 months ago

24,000 to 62,000 deaths from flu vs. 500,000 and counting for covid. Sobering indeed.
And that's just the USA while having major restrictions. While we worry about economic damage and such...

But I'm sure this has been much harder on the destinations that depend almost completely on tourism. I remember giving well deserved 3000 baht tip for someone who took care of my living arrangements for 3 months and she cried she was so happy. And this was precovid. I hope health for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom