Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of tips, what is a common tip per dive?
Like the others I'm $20. Southeast Florida Divemasters on inspected boats (bigger than 6pack) almost always Never get a paycheck. They work for tips only. In Key Largo every tank is a light weight Aluminum 80. In Jupiter, Every tank is a Steel HP100/LP95. Those divemasters BUST their Butts loading and unloading as many as 40 Steel tanks (1100 lbs!) each way to the parking lot cause there's no more customers forming "tank lines" due to Covid.

Like the others I'm $20. Southeast Florida Divemasters on inspected boats (bigger than 6pack) almost always Never get a paycheck. They work for tips only. In Key Largo every tank is a light weight Aluminum 80. In Jupiter, Every tank is a Steel HP100/LP95. Those divemasters BUST their Butts loading and unloading as many as 40 Steel tanks (1100 lbs!) each way to the parking lot cause there's no more customers forming "tank lines" due to Covid.
During the restrictions when boats could only take 6 people I was giving $30 tip. I also give $30 if they hardly have anyone on the boat or if they do a lot of extra stuff for me, like rolling up my SMB nicely for me while I’m getting out of my BC and switching it to the next tank.

I tip $20 minimum and often $30-$40 for good service. That’s per trip. These folks aren’t getting rich and I appreciate what they do to keep me safe & to make the trip run smoothly.

Great answer (along with @CosbySweater). My dilemma is that my buddy and I want to dive. We mostly want to dive with Sharks at Jupiter, but will be disappointed if we get blown out after flying into FL. I'm wondering if it's worth it to make the plane reservations to FLL and then wait to book Airbnb and diving until a week before arrival. I fly in from ATL (And, no, I'm not driving nine-plus hours). My buddy is flying in from Arkansas. Springs diving has no interest for me.

Before I moved to FL I would make several trips to Keys every year, typically in the fall. Usually the weather was nice but I got burned a few times with sour weather. I learned to book "flexible' accommodations that allow for full-refund cancellations. Priceline is usually my go-to to look for those types of places, but all the major travel websites will show the hotel/resorts cancellation policy. I wouldn't book something unless I could cancel it up 48-72 hours before my reservation. It costs a few extra bucks to have this ability, but it's well worth it in my opinion. There are several hotels/resorts with efficiency kitchens in South FL and the Keys that allow for cancellation 48-72 hours out. Dig around the major travel websites and you'll find them.

But KL cancels faster than Jupiter boats who say "Suck-it-up-buttercup, we're diving"....
Here's a perfect "Realtime" winter example.
Tomorrow - 31st it will be 3-5's in Key Largo and every boat has cancelled dives.

Jupiter is going to be 7 FOOT WAVES !! But it's the final day of the year and Sandy Sunday (Ocean Quest) has posted they have enough divers and THEY ARE RUNNING !!.

Tied to the dock or going diving......That's the difference between Key Largo and Jupiter

eraseme.JPG

Here's a perfect "Realtime" winter example.
Tomorrow - 31st it will be 3-5's in Key Largo and every boat has cancelled dives.

Jupiter is going to be 7 FOOT WAVES !! But it's the final day of the year and Sandy Sunday (Ocean Quest) has posted they have enough divers and THEY ARE RUNNING !!.

Tied to the dock or going diving......That's the difference between Key Largo and Jupiter

View attachment 633464
The Boynton Inlet is the most sensitive to high seas, Jupiter is intermediate, West Palm is the most forgiving. When I can't get out of Boynton or Juptier, I can often get out of West Palm. There are several great operators.

The Boynton Inlet is the most sensitive to high seas, Jupiter is intermediate, West Palm is the most forgiving. When I can't get our of Boynton or Juptier, I can often get out of West Palm. There are several great operators.

The West Palm boats can also dive close to the inlet (Corridor or North Double Ledges) and run back into the Lake Worth Lagoon during the SI. Pura Vida did that yesterday and it was SOOOO NICE!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom