Making a 10 meter RIB suitable/comfortable for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@wetb4igetinthewater, I think with the level of responsibility and successes you’ve had in your current career coupled with your commitment (and sacrifice!) to row hard for a year that you’re going to make great decisions and achieve durable success.

As far as diesels go you can buy allot of gas for the price difference of a pair of outboards vs an adequately sized diesel. When people talk about the reliability of diesels they are usually talking about the older, lower RPM, non-turboed engines. Once you start adding turbos to an engine and decreasing the mass to get more RPM you loose a good bit of that reliability. The cost for replacement of a blown diesel vs a blow outboard is way higher. If you're lucky you can rebuild a diesel easier but parts are still expensive.

Good luck with whatever you choose. It sounds like fun.
Yes this ^^^
A new turboed diesel is crazy expensive, can be finicky to run, and not at all easy to repair.

Have you owned a boat before and what was it? What were the diving accommodations on it?

Yes this ^^^
A new turboed diesel is crazy expensive, can be finicky to run, and not at all easy to repair.

Not looking at turbo diesel. Wasn't even going to consider it.

Have you owned a boat before and what was it? What were the diving accommodations on it?

Just a 16.5 foot boat for waterskiing. Getting back in with even back mounted cylinders would be a PITA. Would only dive sidemount from it. One of these days I'll tie to the mooring line at Sund Rock.

And that's why I started this thread. There's a lot of experience on SB that I've tapped into. Some folks have given hugely helpful information. I'm also speaking with dive op owners in Greece and before I pull the trigger, I'm going to work for one so that I partially eliminate some mistakes.

But speaking with people like Manthos Marras who has two RIBs for his two dive centers (Porto Rafti and Kythnos), one outboards, one diesel, I think he's a fairly good resource for me as well. He's been incredibly helpful and generous with his time.

This one is 7m, i have welded up an aluminum bench and tank rack which holds 8 tanks.
The bench will hold 4 deck divers.
Diver ladder works awesome. Choose a flat bottom inflatable which allows us to launch in lakes with poor
boat launch sites as well as the better ones in western Canada.

Attachments

• inflatable.jpg
    inflatable.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 138
  • inflatable 2.JPG
    inflatable 2.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 136
  • inflatable 3.jpg
    inflatable 3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 133
This one is 7m, i have welded up an aluminum bench and tank rack which holds 8 tanks.
The bench will hold 4 deck divers.
Diver ladder works awesome. Choose a flat bottom inflatable which allows us to launch in lakes with poor
boat launch sites as well as the better ones in western Canada.
Hi @Thate

Do the 8 cylinders and 4 divers on one side of the boat throw off the balance?

Hi @Thate

Do the 8 cylinders and 4 divers on one side of the boat throw off the balance?
hi, no the flat bottom is balanced well, i also have the fuel can under the aluminum box i welded up to balance
the boat. the tubes are 26 '' / 66 cm. has worked out well.

And that's why I started this thread. There's a lot of experience on SB that I've tapped into.

The important thing about "your boat" is to actually get out there on other boats and see what you like and don't like

Sure you have restrictions currently length for you - but if you're going to make an investment, I'd get my license sorted early so you buy just the once. Also slightly longer boats with a wider beam will just make things so more better

I can't comment on your need for a rib, It's my impression they're main reason is that they're light to tow. If you don't need to then why bother (unless there are other reasons)

I've been on small dive boats (max 44') for about 10 years, both club and shop boats. For 4 years I used to maintain teh club boats so have a fair idea about what works in our environment - we as a club made some poor decisions which looked good on paper but didn't perform as expected in service

MY Preferences are as follows

Tanks and gear down the centre, at a height which makes it easy for people to don. with the sides free, back rolls are easy, and the main weight down the centreline gives better roll stability

You'll need basic gear onboard. Large Ice chest for water and perhaps snacks between dives. O2 kit First Aid easily accessible. Life rings and other safety gear

You want the seating arranged to keep the passenger weight toward the stern - too much weight forward and the bow is constantly falling off the plane

I prefer a rear centre helm, others prefer off set. Ladder - placement for ease of entry back onto the boat I despise fin on ladders, others love them. Whatever. but getting guests back on the boat with minimum of fuss is paramount. So make sure it goes deep enough so people can get their feet onthem easily

I would not run a dive boat that only had a single motor. Check how you fresh water flush the engines. If the boat is always in the water some methods can be PITA, so people don't bother and you cause yourself misery down the line

No need for camera buckets nor mask buckets - seriously you're surrounded by water, wash them there :)

On our sunshade we have cargo nets on the underside so you can stuff small items of clothing - (hoodies and the such like) to keep you warm on the drive back. We have small Karabinas up there too so guests can attach their drybags

Easy stowage for fins when guests come aboard, grab ropes down the sides, stowage for extra weights, spare tanks, Anchor hook for grabbing mooring buoy etc etc etc.

The list of small details goes on. some not being right will be a mear annoyance, others really interfere with the running of the boat. Hence get out on AS MANY dive boats as you can, either as a guest or as a DM so you see both sides. Figure out what works on those boats and what doesn't. Steal all the good ideas - understand why people do certain things certain ways, sometimes there is good reason, others they haven't thought it through, but KISS is paramount.

@Diving Dubai

Seriously a big thanks. You have been extraordinarily helpful. If Covid19 allows my parents to fly to Europe (they won't risk it due to their age) next September, I'll have some help for my wife for our recently turned one daughter. In that case, I'll be able to do some diving in the Kyklades and see the differences as a customer.

If I get trimix (in the plans), and you dive a rebreather, come on by when you can and the gas/boat is on me

Back
Top Bottom