Taming the long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

".... I wanted to use something that looks more technical oriented "

Or less Mickey Mouse.

The bungee method was expedient. A GUE instructor frowned on seeing it and stated “we shall see (it works). That was the last I heard about it.

I was never satisfied with the bungee approach. It is more prone to entanglement with anything else on the right side. So more care had to be exercised than with the other approaches. Another advantage with the webbing and Velcro triglide approaches is that there is no large object like a faux canister that needs to be taken on and off on the belt.

This is a benefit when I use a doubles tank setup with a conventional single recreational regulator setup. I chose to do that when teaching more advanced recreational classes as that is more similar to the students setup than a long hose and necklace set which might cause unnecessary confusion.

Questions pertaining to securing the long hose appear periodically on Scuba Board. In one instance I did not provide an elaborate response on the techniques that I have used to address this issue. I finally got around to making a video on the subject.

Here are some of the statements on scubaboard that prompted me to make the video.

“On occasion, I do not take the light. One instance was on my recent trip to Bonaire. I tucked the cord between my belly and my belt. But I kept finding the get untidy and ride up my head.“

“I'll either tuck it into my belt but often times I've found it comes undone. “

“I usually tuck the hose into the harness belt (don't wear a weight belt). I will say that it tends to come out during the dive and you have to stuff it/adjust it periodically.“

“7' hose ALWAYS comes out of the waste band for me.“

If someone were taking a DIR/GUE course, they would not even be allowed to put a D-ring on the lower right side of the harness like that. In the same philosophy, stage bottles go on the left side, not the right.
If someone never goes that route, no worries, but something to think about if they do.

The trick to keeping a long hose stowed under the harness is to pull it under the webbing all the way behind your right hip while turning your head to the left, then pull it down. If you pull it too tight without accounting for movement of your head, it can pull out easily.

One of the best tricks I ever learned, courtesy of Gideon Liew.

Here’s a non-DIR approach but it works for me - shorter hose! 60”/5ft rather than 7ft. If you have a shorter torso, the shorter hose allows you to wrap the hose around your torso without having to worry about any extra.

Here’s a non-DIR approach but it works for me - shorter hose! 60”/5ft rather than 7ft. If you have a shorter torso, the shorter hose allows you to wrap the hose around your torso without having to worry about any extra.

A DIR/GUE long hose is expected to be 5 to 7 feet. :wink:

Most use 7 feet, but some people use 5 or 6 feet for single tank diving.

I might be overlooking something but does the shorter hose work for the OOA diver?
The OOA diver has to be in front, so it has to pass his body while following line, go true restrictions or while towing you behind a scooter.
The 5ft wil be hard that way, in open water it’s more then ok ofcourse.

I know DIR/GUE practitioners don’t like anything on the right side except a canister light. This was a great concept when it was developed and has a proven track record.

I stopped using a canister light years ago, because I just don’t have much need for them any longer. Even at 130-165 FSW, there is plenty of ambient light to dive with. I can use small handheld lights to restore colors when I want to.

I still have my canister light and use it more to stay proficient with it. But modern technology is vastly replacing the need for long burn time canister light.

To get back to the OP’s question, I moved my knife from the left to the right side. I tuck the loop in my belt and loop it around my knife (just like I would have with a canister). An alternate replacement for the right side canister, Apeks makes a Hose Retainer. It replaces the canister and you can loop your hose under the belt and around the Hose Retainer. It works fine, with a couple of tri-glides to hold it in place. I find my knife works just as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom