Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fairness (and not that I feel the admin has done a good job) - with our system of government, the feds would not have been able to force the states to do anything - so problems at all levels of government and political parties in finding the right balance in the response to this pandemic.
And there's the rub, innit? Governments that cannot compel their citizens to do what is necessary to contain an epidemic have to depend on convincing them. Some governments in that position do not try very hard, so they get what they get.

Italy and Sweden are substantially at the antipodes.
Here in Italy we adopted a severe and prolonged lockdown, which was successfull pushing the R factor well below one. In 2 months this allowed to reduce the number of carriers, keeping 96% of the population not infected.
In Sweden there was no strict lockdown, and the virus was allowed to spread.
But, due to the lower population density and the cultural differences, the R factor was just above 1, whilst here in Italy, without lockdown, it was almost 4.
With a relatively low R factor, Sweden had the virus slowly infecting a significant percentage of their population, including mostly the people with greater mobility and more frequent contacts.
They never reached the saturation of their ICUs.
However the death toll has been high, they are now close to Italy at 560 deaths/million. We are at 580, but this was caused by the incredibly high mortality in just 3 towns, where the health system collapsed.
With the population density and the Italian behaviour, if we adopted the same strategy as Sweden, our death toll would have been 10 times larger, as those three towns did clearly demostrate.
Coming back to touristic travel: what do you think is a better visitor for Cozumel? An Italian or a Swedish?
There are good chances that the Italian has never been in contact with the virus, whilst the Swedish is possibly already immune. Italian tourists are not following social distancing (nor any rule in general), the Swedish ones are usually more regulated.
Let see what Cozumel operators would prefer to get, considering that getting US citizens will probably be very difficult, and defintely very dangerous.
For me, I would say loud to everyone "please stay at home" until the pandemic is over...
You can tell me that Italy and Sweden are opposites, but the curves look very similar and the rates are very similar and the results at this point are very similar except Sweden is not under restrictions.

Edit: The people in Mexico are not so big on "please stay home". They would like something to eat.

I understand this entirely.
That's the reason I asked which tourists they would prefer to receive.
But I suspect that those guys have something more important to do for their lifes just now, instead of chatting on SB...
Personally, if I was working there, I would prefer the Swedish ones..
I met a Norwegian couple in Coz once. But never any Swedes. With the Canadians forced to stay home it is up to the good ol' USA. I bought my tickets for January 2 days ago.

It's a fascinating world we live in with all the cultural and economic differences.

Edit: The people in Mexico are not so big on "please stay home". They would like something to eat.

So ... let's go, share our tourist dollars and wear our masks to protect them from us!

It really is such a dilemma, isn't it? Don't go, and watch them suffer from lack of revenue? Go, and perhaps watch them suffer from exposure to more illness? Which is worse? (that's really intended as hyperbole and does not require a response). :wink:

So ... let's go, share our tourist dollars and wear our masks to protect them from us!

It really is such a dilemma, isn't it? Don't go, and watch them suffer from lack of revenue? Go, and perhaps watch them suffer from exposure to more illness? Which is worse? (that's really intended as hyperbole and does not require a response). :wink:
Talk to the ones in Quintana Roo that are not independently wealthy and I think you won't find much variation in opinion. It has passed lack of revenue and is into lack of food.

Talk to the ones in Quintana Roo that are not independently wealthy and I think you won't find much variation in opinion. It has passed lack of revenue and is into lack of food.

I suspect that the vast majority of those advocating for lockdowns and closings still have their normal income stream or close to it. Or perhaps a healthy savings to draw on. Even in the best of times, millions of people around the world engage in activities that put them at elevated risk of something in order to put food on the table.

you think this guy would be scared of covid?

I suspect that the vast majority of those advocating for lockdowns and closings still have their normal income stream or close to it. Or perhaps a healthy savings to draw on. Even in the best of times, millions of people around the world engage in activities that put them at elevated risk of something in order to put food on the table.

you think this guy would be scared of covid?
I'm scared of it. My friends in Q. Roo are scared of it. But we have to make a living. We are more scared of being broke.

I'm scared of it. My friends in Q. Roo are scared of it. But we have to make a living. We are more scared of being broke.

Exactly. Given that we still don't have a vaccine for the original sars virus from 20 years ago, or for the HIV virus from even earlier, all of which have had TONS of research devoted to them, at some point we may be forced to conclude that no vaccine or cure is coming, and that we just have to bite the bullet and allow the planet to get back to work, because this global shutdown bullspit will send the world's economy into an unrecoverable tailspin.

Exactly. Given that we still don't have a vaccine for the original sars virus from 20 years ago, or for the HIV virus from even earlier, all of which have had TONS of research devoted to them, at some point we may be forced to conclude that no vaccine or cure is coming, and that we just have to bite the bullet and allow the planet to get back to work, because this global shutdown bullspit will send the world's economy into an unrecoverable tailspin.
I am glad that governments are spending massive amounts of money to promote vaccines. I'm hopeful they will come up with a working vaccine. If they do it will be the first successful human coronavirus vaccine. It may cause deaths, It may not last very long. If it does not produce long term immunity we will need 7 billion doses however many times per year the immunity runs out. I simply can't stop my life that long. It would destroy everything I have worked for since I was a young teen. Simple fact is the vast majority of people in this world cannot either. But it won't just destroy what they have worked for. It will starve them. If we knew that a vaccine was coming on a certain date and that it was going to work and not have terrible side effects we might spread enough wealth to get humanity through til then, at great cost. But we don't know for sure there will be a vaccine and certainly don't know when.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom