Is this a bastard force fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. I am proud to be a American Designer, Bob Evans. Tan Delta Force Fin Diving Fin. 1994 | MoMA

Hi Bob, I might have seen the exhibit at MOMA.
Did you send them multiple pairs in different colors and were they displayed hanging in the lobby window? My memory is foggy, but I think I remember seeing them. Regardless, you are a great product designer who has mastered both function and form.

Signed Proud Owner of Multiple Pairs of Tan Deltas

There was never an overabundance of Tan Delta Fins but I believe that Bob signed almost everyone of them.
So his signature on them is not exactly an "earth shattering" find. :wink:

Now, his signature on a check is guaranteed to be worth something (unless Susanne has taken him off the checking account).. :p

There was never an overabundance of Tan Delta Fins but I believe that Bob signed almost everyone of them.
So his signature on them is not exactly an "earth shattering" find. :wink:

Now, his signature on a check is guaranteed to be worth something (unless Susanne has taken him off the checking account).. :p
Thanks, knowing the cost to make Tan Delta fins, I made sure to sign each pair out of respect.

Can someone enlighten me on the Tan Delta, please ? Why were they so special ? I fail to find any info on them.

Thanks, knowing the cost to make Tan Delta fins, I made sure to sign each pair out of respect.

Bob, What was the reason for the high cost? Is the material so much more expensive?

Can someone enlighten me on the Tan Delta, please ? Why were they so special ? I fail to find any info on them.

The Tan Delta is a high performance urethane that offers higher rebound rates than the other urethanes that are used in standard and Pro Force Fins. The materials are much more expensive and from what Bob has told me, the failure rate during molding is higher. The Tan Delta fins are individually hand poured - because of the nature of the material, it does not work with with automated injection molding equipment (it sets up too fast). When cured they are transparent and any imperfection in molding is immediately visible to the naked eye (even if it does not effect performance). Since these are a "premium" product, Bob will not sell any that are not "perfect". Additionally because of the nature of the material, there is significant hand finishing that must be done both in trimming the excess mold material and in polishing them to a high gloss finish.

If you ever get to use them, the snap and rebound are fantastic - if you have the leg power to fully utilize their full potential. They are unbelievable in high current situations. There are several U-TUBE videos that demonstrate this.

The only other material that rivals them (and in my mind is better) is the urethane developed for the Original Hockey Fins. I say that because it has a more progressive "load up" and returns more energy than the Tan Delta material at lower power requirements - for divers that no longer have "sprinters legs". But again, this material is expensive and required hand pouring and is no longer available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom