Is this the average diver?

Is this the average diver?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 94.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins apparently make things like reverse kick and helicopter turn kicks difficult. Each is very handy even in open water for maneuvering around things in the water or around buddies. But cramps are bad things. Trade-offs.

Yes, there are always recommendations of what to do to avoid cramps (hydrating, diet, exercise, etc.)-- which don't necessarily work if cramping is hereditary.
(ForceFin Pros or Flying Force fins are very cramp resilient, though expensive! On currents, I could calmly hold position or swim against current that had other divers and guides sheltering behind rocks. They also fit in carry on. Not the average diver gear.)

I used to have split fins. Did I like them? Yes. Do I still have them? No. Why--> The dive flag line kept getting caught in the middle of the fin.
I could not do reverse kick or as good as a helicopter turn as with some other fins. It really did not bother me since I just turned my body.

Otherwise they were easy to use and I have many friends who like them for certain dive conditions. I think we need to be tolerant of people who use different types of equipment as long as they are not a threat to life.

I started with split fins in about 2008 when I won them at a dive "treasure hunt" contest. People don't like them because they don't give you a lot of power like other fins. So they are not as useful if you get stuck in a rough current. So, you're GUNNA DIE!
What they don't consider is they are very good in preventing cramping, which in itself MAY be even more dangerous than certain currents. Yes, there are always recommendations of what to do to avoid cramps (hydrating, diet, exercise, etc.)-- which don't necessarily work if cramping is hereditary.
I try to avoid bad currents, before and since I got the splits.
Yes, I found my experience with splits to be exactly the same when it comes to cramping. I use longer Atomics splits and have not had issues of not having enough power. I have tried jets and seawings but like my current setup.
We all are GUNNA die...

Split fins apparently make things like reverse kick and helicopter turn kicks difficult. Each is very handy even in open water for maneuvering around things in the water or around buddies. But cramps are bad things. Trade-offs.

(ForceFin Pros or Flying Force fins are very cramp resilient, though expensive! On currents, I could calmly hold position or swim against current that had other divers and guides sheltering behind rocks. Also not the average diver gear.)
Over a relatively short period of time, I was unable to modify my kicking style enough to generate the propulsion you describe with your Force Fins Excellerating Force Fins vs. Dive Rite XTs

(ForceFin Pros or Flying Force fins are very cramp resilient, though expensive! On currents, I could calmly hold position or swim against current that had other divers and guides sheltering behind rocks. They also fit in carry on. Not the average diver gear.)
Yeah like you say, trade offs. I can't do a reverse and helicopter turns are hard. I have no need to do these things with my diving. As well, I only use a flag when in CT. 7 weeks each summer (not this one....), not for all my dives here in NS (no boats really). Have no (regular) buddies, but not sure how splits would be a deterrent maneuvering around them, but will take your word on that.

Over a relatively short period of time, I was unable to modify my kicking style enough to generate the propulsion you describe with your Force Fins Excellerating Force Fins vs. Dive Rite XTs
They are different. And fin + kick + use pattern is complex for any fin.

I've got Hockey's now as well as my Pros. The Hockey (similar to the Excellerating) have more power than the Pros (and I assume the Flying) but they are harder on my ankles to get that power. The Hockey are also much better at reverse, and more powerful with frog. But for those with cramping issues the Pro (or Flying) would be the one, as they seem zero stress on the foot. And for current you do want flutter, but it is not as much as the Hockey would give you. I know nothing about the Atomics or the XTs. I likely had 50 dives in Pros before switching to Hockey and have about 30 in Hockey.

If you like force fins, you'd likely love these as well. I have a pair of the Defiant XT's and love them. I went with the green stiffener option and they look sweet: https://www.indigo-industries.com/defiant-fin

If you like force fins, you'd likely love these as well. I have a pair of the Defiant XT's and love them. I went with the green stiffener option and they look sweet: https://www.indigo-industries.com/defiant-fin
Hi @Trailboss123

Is kicking with the Defiant XTs similar to a good paddle fin, or is it a different style, as it appears to be with Force Fins? How are they with frog kick, other alternative kicks? The neon green looks like it would be pretty easy to spot. They appear to be currently on sale off their website, $120, usual price $150.

Hi @Trailboss123

Is kicking with the Defiant XTs similar to a good paddle fin, or is it a different style, as it appears to be with Force Fins? How are they with frog kick, other alternative kicks? The neon green looks like it would be pretty easy to spot. They appear to be currently on sale off their website, $120, usual price $150.

Craig, I do not have enough mileage on them yet to really say. I just got them and have only one 40 minute dive on them up here in the cold water and I barely had to fin, given the conditions. I will get them out this coming weekend for some additional time and should be able to give a better review. In the meantime, here is a link to a review from a buddy of mine that I really trust and sold me on the fins. He also has a review on the same website to the newer Tac fins from Indigo Industries. His Defiant XT fin review was before they sold them with the spring strap, I think. They now come standard with them. $120 is a good deal.
https://www.atabardivers.com/fin

Craig, I do not have enough mileage on them yet to really say. I just got them and have only one 40 minute dive on them up here in the cold water and I barely had to fin, given the conditions. I will get them out this coming weekend for some additional time and should be able to give a better review. In the meantime, here is a link to a review from a buddy of mine that I really trust and sold me on the fins. He also has a review on the same website to the newer Tac fins from Indigo Industries. His Defiant XT fin review was before they sold them with the spring strap, I think. They now come standard with them. $120 is a good deal.
https://www.atabardivers.com/fin
And they are .4 lbs negatively buoyant also. Per fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom