Getting first BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 2 cents:
As a new diver, see if u can find a shop that will rent you a BP/W to see what u like.
The DGX rig sounds fine
If u can afford it, check out Halcyon. Pricey, but great quality.
SS backplate distributes weight much better than putting it all on your hips.

DGX makes excellent gear, just as good as the other names out there.
I'd recommend as well the stainless plate for the reasons already mentioned.
As for the wing, I dive in cold Canadian water with a drysuit or 7mm and a HP100 and never had an issue with the wing.
But as mentioned, you need to know your weighting before and be sure!

The DGX rig is great. My gf dives it wet with an aluminum plate and an AL80 and uses 12 lbs of weight.

While I (165 pounds) dive cold freshwater with a 30# halcyon wing, I think you will be wishing for a larger wing, especially if you upgrade to a drysuit (depended on undergarments). I never thought I would go dry, but after my first season of diving, I knew it was something I needed (or is it wanted, these things get blurred a bit).

I have that setup.
Today was first proper weighed dive.

It's amazing.
I dove it in fresh water with 15l steel tank. It can lift it no problem.

And with a stainless steel backplate. Lowered my needed weight a lot.

And my back hurts less.

It's easy to trim, and the i dropped from using a 6kg with 7+7 on a stab jacket to 1.5kg with a 5+7mm suit.

I could add maybe another 1.5kg. felt a bit too positive in the last steps of the dive. Had to swim down to release a DSMB.

I haven't dove any other setup. But I got the one with a dump elbow, it's not needed if you ask me, but it doesn't bother.

The backplate is really niceley made. And the webbing is good.

The bladder is more than enough for any kind of singles, and if you get into tech, you will just need a doubles wing anyway.

Oh yeah, another thing.

On my first dive. I was seriousy overweighted.

Instead od 1.5/2kg

I took 6kg of lead.

And the bladder kept me afloat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom