GUE & Halcyon Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why would that make sense? The instructors aren't automatically Halcyon dealers, and GUE and Halcyon are separate companies...

It would make sense to me to discount the equipment to ensure it is the same price or less than other alternatives so when students purchase it they know it will meet the requirements without having to go through every item and making modifications should they choose this route. I don't know the gross margins on this equipment but a 20% discount on a package for GUE fundamentals probably would be profitable if they structured it right plus future maintenance revenue. Others enjoy picking individual pieces out if they have the knowledge or experience. In my example, the instructor did not like the xDeep Zen crotch strap so I had to reach out to xDeep dealer for a fix. Luckily they sell 10's of these adapters to mount a standard crotch strap. Just my opinion of a diver who has been diving for less than 2 years.

Since GUE and Halcyon are two separate entities (especially now that Halcyon is basically owned/joined with Santi), there's no reason for Halcyon to give a discount. I think it would also have made people hate GUE/Halcyon more than some already do.
As to the discounts, you can absolutely get deals from Halcyon dealers that aren't factory authorized sales. I've bought quite a bit of stuff from 2 separate Halcyon dealers. Because my wife and I have bought alot of equipment from them, we often get discounts. Nothing major, but from time to time we see a % off the total. I have always said be good to your local dive shop and give them as much business as feasible, and there's a good chance they'll give you good deals from time to time. Same goes with Halcyon dealers I've used. Since Halcyon gear can't be found on the internet cheaper than in dealer shops, it's easy to support the local retailer.
You also don't need halcyon gear for fundies. Halcyon gear is often more expensive than other options. I still think it's worth the extra cost. The equipment is exceptionally well built and their customer service is up there with Shearwater.

It would make sense to me to discount the equipment to ensure it is the same price or less than other alternatives so when students purchase it they know it will meet the requirements without having to go through every item and making modifications should they choose this route. I don't know the gross margins on this equipment but a 20% discount on a package for GUE fundamentals probably would be profitable if they structured it right plus future maintenance revenue. Others enjoy picking individual pieces out if they have the knowledge or experience. In my example, the instructor did not like the xDeep Zen crotch strap so I had to reach out to xDeep dealer for a fix. Luckily they sell 10's of these adapters to mount a standard crotch strap. Just my opinion of a diver who has been diving for less than 2 years.

how would that work though? They are completely separate companies. Who's going to offer the discount? Halcyon doesn't sell direct, so it would have to go through a dealer, and if that instructor doesn't work for a dealer, who's going to lose the margin?
It's one thing if you're working for someone who also happens to be a Halcyon dealer. What @rjack321 said is a bit confusing. It is HIGHLY illegal for Halcyon to restrict dealers from selling things for whatever price they want. Like SUPER against the law. They can restrict what they advertise the price for, but if they want to sell a $1500 regulator set for $9.42, there is nothing Halcyon can do to prevent that sale. Now they can drop them as a dealer, but they can't stop dealers from selling at whatever price they want. IF the instructor also happens to be a dealer, then sure if they're selling stuff to a student, it's probably not a bad idea to offer a discount. Many dive shops in cave country are known to do that if the student is buying gear through the shop that the instructor owns/is affiliated with. It's also common practice with big ticket items like CCR's or DPV's to offer free/heavily discounted courses.
Since Halcyon and GUE are completely independent entities though, unless the instructor is also a dealer, it would get really complicated to try to implement something like that. It's not in Halcyon's benefit to do it since they don't see any money from GUE, and GUE can't foot the bill because the vast majority of the money goes directly to the instructor, so the instructor would have to foot it. Why would they take that hit? They can't get more sales in the long run because they aren't a dealer. Makes literally no sense.

The H is expensive, but I'll also give them credit for making a short backplate available. It's made a huge difference in my diving. Worth every penny of the $225 (bought in late 2018), higher now.

Halcyon does come up on sale from dealers. I picked up my Eclipse 30lb BP/W brand new for something like 35% off on a summer parking lot sale from a dealer in San Diego, back in 08/09ish. I see current prices and cringe, I thought it was expensive back in the day when I walked out with it for 50-60% less than current MSRP.

Just an FYI. WKPP is the exploration division. GUE is the training/education division. Halcyon is the manufacturing division. And Extreme Exposure is the retail division. All kept in house.

The H is expensive, but I'll also give them credit for making a short backplate available. It's made a huge difference in my diving. Worth every penny of the $225 (bought in late 2018), higher now.

the short plate is a game changer for my wife. She’s 5’3 and not alot of meat on her bones. So a regular plate hit her below her pelvis mid butt cheek and since she’s skinny it would irritate her sciatic nerve and make her legs numb after dives in doubles.
halcyon’s short plate and santi’s women’s cut drysuits have made her very happy.

how would that work though? They are completely separate companies. Who's going to offer the discount? Halcyon doesn't sell direct, so it would have to go through a dealer, and if that instructor doesn't work for a dealer, who's going to lose the margin?
Since Halcyon and GUE are completely independent entities though, unless the instructor is also a dealer, it would get really complicated to try to implement something like that. It's not in Halcyon's benefit to do it since they don't see any money from GUE, and GUE can't foot the bill because the vast majority of the money goes directly to the instructor, so the instructor would have to foot it. Why would they take that hit? They can't get more sales in the long run because they aren't a dealer. Makes literally no sense.

The seller would have a lower margin but would have lower customer acquisition costs because of the referral. The GUE instructor gains by possibly having students in equipment they know works and the retailer would help them understand the proper setup. I find it hard to believe that if EE received 10's of orders for GUE setups they couldn't make it profitable with a 10-20% discount. I was under the impression it was high margin, but don't know for sure. Maybe they would just be giving extra discounts to those that would pay full price anyway without bringing in additional customers who would not normally buy the brand. The only reason I said this is it probably would have caused me to buy from them rather than other brands with a 20% discount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom