Gear organization advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the Rigid brand crate from Home Depot in the tool section. It's about $20 (or $15 on sale), has a solid bottom to keep water off my cars carpet, has folding handles, and is open on the sides to allow gear to dry. Easy to setup for spools storage.

RIDGID 22 in. Pro Box, Black-226036 - The Home Depot

Bought 2 cases of these... love them! Been using them for two years now. I also got the wheeled chest base, and have a few of the other sizes that all stack and lock together.

didn't know you were that far away, thought you day tripped cave country for some reason. I do pre-trip checks on all of my gear, but usually bin it before I pack it since it seems we are always cramped on space. Next cave trip in March I'll need to see what it looks like fully assembled. I've only ever done that when teaching with doubles which is usually significantly less gear.

St Pete to Tallahassee is 4.5 straight through. Making a bit of a pit stop along the way plus a little traffic and its easily 5.

Anyone have any charging station thoughts? @PfcAJ what are you doing when you swing up for charging?

I rarely have to charge anything on a trip, but if I do, I just bring the needed chargers and charge the batteries in the hotel room at night. At most its 1 canister and 1 scooter.

I am pretty bad on the bin organization... I try to analyze and assemble critical stuff (CCRs) so I don't forget anything.

Charging station wise I run an extension cord from my generator to one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Gr...ocphy=1027744&hvtargid=pla-568363543627&psc=1

6 outlets and 4 USB ports is super handy. And everything can stay undercover and dry. All of my suit battery, light chargers combined don't add up to >10amps even.

I use a regular cheap tool box bought at a discount hardware store. Mine has a couple sections and small parts storage in the lid. Great at keeping dust off on long term storage. Only downside is that everything must be dried before long term storage, I will put wet stuff in it to get it home but always make sure everything is dry before storing for long term.

Suit and BCD simply goes in a mesh dive bag. Regs came with a nice slightly padded reg bag and I use that.

I have 10hr drives and ferry crossings (each way) for much of my diving if I want to see any wildlife or good viz under water.

Regs are on the tanks, scrubber isn’t packed, but everything else is ready to go.

2 Rubbermaid half height bins, one for BP/W/Harness and related equipment (lights, reels, canisters, etc) the second bin has my drysuit with fins (and any drysuit accessories.. weight belt, fin keepers, pocket stuff, etc).

Gear stays wet until I get home for proper soaks and cleaning. But will used freshwater when available at dive sites along the way.

DPV on cradles, smaller batteries in my undergarment duffel, along with some oh crap tools.

Chargers in a small shoe Rubbermaid with a very similar USB/outlet station that RJack posted (can find them in 2packs at Costco) 6ft extension cord and away you go.

Multiweek trips, all maintenance tools (except for the meg and ultrasonic) make its way in another tub... usually someone else needs a little TLC adjustment)

_R

I do like the bungee threaded through the box for clipping reels and spools off too. Am stealing that Idea @tbone1004

As for regs. I just coil mine and keep them together in a coil with bungee or inner tube loops

Back in the day, when I used to tour large stadium tours - we obviously had 100's (sometime a few 1000's) of cables

Coiling them neatly for packing (throwing into a flight case) so that you weren't untying knots at the next venue was of course a priority. Obv the general method was pvc tape, but people would either use too little so it would come off, too much which is a pain at the other end and of course the residue left (especially after 50- or 60 dates)

So we eventually settled on inner tube fixed to a 1" length of wood dowel, wrap the loop around and secure around the dowel. Done.

It wasn't perfect but it was the best out of all methods, balancing speed re usability and cost. I still use the same on my reg sets now. Yes you can lose the bungees (or my wife does) so carry spares. and you do need to perfect the diameter of the coils to match your hose lengths.

Like I said, its not perfect, but it does work very well

a Velcro strap, or two, around the assembled reg set should keep it organized
Or three.

OP, you may have overlooked a cheap solution. See KDAD's post, pretty common here. Maybe get a roll of hook and loop fabric/tape/cable tie. Hooks on one side, loops on the other. Nothing to do but cut to length:

Go to McMaster-Carr and search on Cut-to-Length Hook and Loop Cable Ties I suggest starting with their part # McMaster-Carr

you need more bins. vehicle space seems to be the culprit here. do you have a small car?

charging mostly isnt needed on site but I will bring several canisters in lieu of a charger if I can get away with it. If xks need a charge it means I probably did a big dive and wouldn't be too keen on another one the next day anyway

I use these. You mentioned you didn't want to fiddle with rinsing if they get wet, it's no biggie. The interior is pretty slick, so they rinse and dry quickly. I can get a set of regs for my doubles, plus two stage regs in a bag. So one holds a lot. Can't help you with the cost though! :D

DGX Tek Regulator Bag | Dive Gear Express®

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom