How useful is AOW for Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude12

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm OW certified with about 20 dives over 2 different dive trips. I am planning my 3rd trip for Cozumel and was contemplating getting my AOW before the trip so I would be able to dive deeper and not be restricted by my certification. But after some reading here it seems like being just OW doesn't restrict you to only 18m in Cozumel. Is that the case for all dive ops in Cozumel? Is there any benefit or reason for me to get my AOW before going to Cozumel?

Thanks!

All dives in the Mayan Riviera are deep. If you want just take the chance, go ahead, but it's you who is going to dive, so being AOWD to do AOW dives should be the right path.

All dives in the Mayan Riviera are deep. If you want just take the chance, go ahead, but it's you who is going to dive, so being AOWD to do AOW dives should be the right path.
"All dives in the Mayan Riviera are deep" Really?

OP....being OW certified doesn't necessarily restrict you but it could affect what sites you get to dive and with whom. Most dive operators will group people by experience/certification level. So while you may still get to go a bit beyond your 18m max depth, you will more than likely be grouped with newer, less experienced divers and could possibly miss out on getting to dive certain sites that an AOW or higher would get to dive. Granted, you will see most of the sea life you want to see at or above your 18m threshold, especially at night. But it's possible you wouldn't get to dive areas like Palancar Caves, Maracaibo, etc. And if you want to venture across the bay to the mainland and dive cenotes, most of those operators prefer you have at least an AOW, as some of those dives (The Pit, Angelita, etc.) are deeper than 30m. Both of the two I mentioned drop down to 40m+ at the bottom.

So if you're asking if it's necessary for you to get your AOW before your next Cozumel trip, the answer is No, but it could affect which sites you dive and what level of other divers you dive with. So my advice is absolutely get your AOW out of the way. There's no real reason not to, especially if you're planning to further your diving education and experience levels.

I'm OW certified with about 20 dives over 2 different dive trips. I am planning my 3rd trip for Cozumel and was contemplating getting my AOW before the trip so I would be able to dive deeper and not be restricted by my certification. . . .

It sounds like you are saying you dove with an operator whom you believed restricted you from diving "deeper" than you would have liked because they required you to have AOW? If that's what you found in your two previous trips, then by all means go get the AOW card. You answered your own question.

My gut says that, in general, most operators don't take anyone, AOW or otherwise, to the really advanced sites until the DMs have seen how the diver behaves in the water. If you prove yourself over the course of a few days, you may earn the respect of the DM to request more advanced sites. To put it another way, I get the impression the DMs are more interested in whether you appear to be an experienced diver than what it says on your card.

That said, if you dove with an operator whom you believed did not fairly judge your abilities and constrained you to the "beginner" sites, maybe look for a different operator. I don't get the impression that most operators keep such a tight rein on their divers; if a diver looks competent, dive ops are happy to take the diver to all but the most advanced sites.

It sounds like you are saying you dove with an operator whom you believed restricted you from diving "deeper" than you would have liked because they required you to have AOW? If that's what you found in your two previous trips, then by all means go get the AOW card. You answered your own question.

My gut says that, in general, most operators don't take anyone, AOW or otherwise, to the really advanced sites until the DMs have seen how the diver behaves in the water. If you prove yourself over the course of a few days, you may earn the respect of the DM to request more advanced sites. To put it another way, I get the impression the DMs are more interested in whether you appear to be an experienced diver than what it says on your card.

This absolutely holds true.

I'm OW certified with about 20 dives over 2 different dive trips. I am planning my 3rd trip for Cozumel and was contemplating getting my AOW before the trip so I would be able to dive deeper and not be restricted by my certification. But after some reading here it seems like being just OW doesn't restrict you to only 18m in Cozumel. Is that the case for all dive ops in Cozumel? Is there any benefit or reason for me to get my AOW before going to Cozumel?

Thanks!
Just to have the card? Probably not. But with just 20 dives do you not think you might learn something from the course?

Thanks!

Heck - Why not just get your AOW Certification with the operator you're diving with?
It's probably easier and cheaper that way.

All dives in the Mayan Riviera are deep.
"All dives in the Mayan Riviera are deep" Really?
Nope. True. dive ops generally take OW newbies deeper than 60 feet on many dives, but usually not to the 130+ dives down south. Second dives are often shallower than 60 feet.

For the OP, why not get your AOW card while doing the dives you're going to do anyway. You may not use a Nitrox card on the west coast, but get that sometime too, as it's very helpful on east coast wrecks, etc.

I would recommend you take AOW regardless if it is required. Peak performance Bouyancy will be extremely useful from a good instructor, night dive can introduce you to night dives in a more benign situation so you know what to expect and can relax and enjoy your night dives in Cozumel, drift dive can prepare you for what will most likely be the style of all of your Cozumel dives, deep dive will start to prepare you for some deeper dives you will experience while diving Cozumel (although I don't think the AOW deep dive does this adequately) With only 20 dives under your belt, the additional instruction and time underwater will benefit you well and make your trip more enjoyable. So if you have decent instruction at home I would strongly suggest you take AOW before your trip. I would also suggest you take nitrox before you go, especially if you plan to do 2-4 dives every day you are there (your bottomtime will be significantly increased and is well worth the investment to me) Enjoy Cozumel as it offers some great diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom