Anyone remember The Scuba Shoppe (Rockville, MD)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I first got OW certified when I was in high school, in 1984. I had always wanted to do it, and I convinced my parents to help. Well, as much as I loved it, nothing ever came of it. Lack of money, lack of time, etc... we've all heard the story. Fast forward to 2006 and my work/life balance needed some adjusting, I had tons of vacation saved up, so I went and got recertified and it's been a huge part of my life since then. I regret losing those years of experience, but better late than never.

In the 22 year gap, I forgot a lot of the details about my initial certification. I lost the card ages ago and many of the details are hazy. Here's what I've been able to piece together. The LDS was called: The Scuba Shoppe and it was located on E. Gude Drive in Rockville, Maryland (US). Through internet research, I'm pretty sure the owner was Bob Landers and the affiliation was NAUI (but I'm not sure about that). I think the OW checkout dives were done in Pennsylvania at Willow Springs Park? That's about it. I contacted NAUI with as many details as I could dig up, and they couldn't find anything in their records.

Just to make myself sound old - now that I'm a DM - I do remember how much harder the OW course was back then. We did things in the OW course that I didn't have to do for my DM (like complete ditch/don in 20ft of water). We did rescue exercises in OW that we don't even teach in rescue anymore... Ah...the old days...

I wonder if anyone else has any recollections of this shop? If so, I'd love to hear them, or to fill in some details.

I did actually keep the book and workbook we used:

old-scuba-manual1s.jpg
old-scuba-manual2s.jpg

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Hi,
I remember the shop fondly. I got certified through Montgomery College and the program was associated with the shop. I remember buying my basic gear there (mask, snorkel, fins, booties, weight belt), and renting 7mm suites to dive in Willow Springs. They were always very nice and had discounts for us students :)

Hi,
I remember the shop fondly. I got certified through Montgomery College and the program was associated with the shop. I remember buying my basic gear there (mask, snorkel, fins, booties, weight belt), and renting 7mm suites to dive in Willow Springs. They were always very nice and had discounts for us students :)

Cool! Do you remember it being a NAUI shop??

yes...it was defiantly a NAUI shop. This was back in 92-93.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom