How to Engage Younger People in Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To what length did our dear friend, the old owner of our LDS go to make as much cash as he could before he got out?

His policies kept a lot of my money out of his cash register and ultimately spent online. He just couldn’t understand that special orders could still make money without gouging the customer. Of course he would have had to understand some people wanted gear he didn’t carry.

To bad @RJP isn’t around to give us his insight on marketing scuba. A few years back he was involved in several threads like this one. The following links to one.
Scuba Diving Survey Results

Bob

:popcorn:
This is a great conversation that I was excited to see started this morning. It is something that I have noticed in my year of diving.

Just like this morning when I first saw this, it's time to go chase this kids. I'll be back to add my $0.02

I have noticed, diving in SEA and Maya Riviera, all of the Chinese divers are in their 20's. My experience has been, in fact, a large portion of the newer / younger divers in SEA are from China. It might be a newly affluent generation thing.

Has anyone else noticed the same?

A number of issues come to mind...to start with, drawing a question from a lady named Cynthia Tobias elsewhere referencing what to ask when there's a meeting or some such...'What's the point?' What are we aiming to do here.

Answer for the prospective inductee into diving, though. He/she will want to know.

Diving itself strikes me as a means to an end. Unless getting into a clingy black rubber suit with huge duck feet, a dorky looking vest and a big, heavy metal tank on your back with a regulator that makes you breathe like Darth Vader strikes you as fun. Oh, and so you can drop 60 feet underwater where if your equipment fails you may just die? On trips that cost a few to several grand for a week, maybe 10 days, assuming you don't want to dive in some low-viz., cold-below-20-feet quarry or lake with a few bluegill?

Why aren't we having to beat them off with a stick again? There's adventure? Yeah, but why not instead take up:

1.) Cruising.
2.) European tourist travels - Buckingham Palace, Rome, the Pyramids, etc...
3.) African (or Brazilian) Safari/nature trekking.
4.) Skiing.
5.) Rock Climbing/Mountaineering/Hiking?
6.) White water rafting?

If someone didn't grow up around diving, and doesn't live near southeastern Florida, the answers may not be obvious.

I liked roaming in nature seeing wild animals, and on t.v. programs the coral reefs, moray eels, barracuda and sharks looked neat. I wanted to fin around reefs directly experiencing them face-to-face. Scuba lets me do that. If I recall correctly, @Marie13 wanted to experience the wrecks of the Great Lakes; scuba let her do that. Some people like spear fishing. Photographing nudibranchs. Or cave diving.

You may need to sell people on what scuba can enable them to go do. What experiences they can enrich their lives with by it. The online community, sharing trip reports and discussing prospective destinations, experiencing foreign places and cultures...

Perhaps we should emphasize dive destination topsides more? Try to sell a more wholistic experience?

I've noticed a lot of new, young divers getting certified from places like Koh Tao, but I don't notice them continuing on with diving. It looks to be a one-off type of experience than a lifelong sport for most, even if vacation diving is considered lifelong.

If diving required getting a loan with "easy credit", then I doubt I'd still continue engaging in it. What kind of argument is that? And to say that building credit isn't necessary is ridiculous. Sure, it's possible for anyone to get a loan, but at what interest rates and terms?

It depends on the age targeted but a lot of parents now take a lot of « me time ».. sports and vacations without kids. This results in not exposing them to stuff. Kids learn from example. Teen scuba diving camps or parent/kid pool dives would be awesome! I consider my self a young diver, mid 20’s. I always try and involve my kids some how in what I do.

Those medical and school costs in the states seem crazy!!

There are some scuba offerings that are geared toward families, like the DiveTech kids programs at the link below, but a family scuba vacation in the Caribbean is probably most suitable for an affluent family.

https://www.divetech.com/kids

Well, you all have clearly gotten to your conclusions and sagely decided as a group why the lazy, entitled, screen-obsessed youngsters aren't moving off of their couches despite having no other financial problems that you yourself didn't encounter. I guess I'm a masochist for coming back to this conversation, but I will not say that I didn't try to explain why younger people may not be diving, even though no one here is actually listening to what us youngsters are saying.

First, let’s address what people have been saying about and to me and young folks in order.
I definitely disagree with your position that to get credit you need to build credit. There are countless examples in the recent past to show that’s not true. You do need to sign and initial. Also there are many ways people can save money, for example you can probably get less expensive phones other then apple. Also if student loans of concern the military is a great option. I don’t disagree that healthcare is very expensive and way overpriced and every situation is different.

Oh good, you’re doing that thing where you try to politely disagree while mock-agreeing with me to condescend and make me feel bad if I counter you. Please, give me an example where anyone with bad or no credit got a good deal with reasonable interest rates. Since you are trying to speak for an entire generation, I expect large population sizes in your examples instead of one-offs for statistical significance. Also, when the heck was the last time you got an apartment, a loan, or a credit card with bad credit?

Re: the phones – oh I do. I had a 7 year old HP laptop that I finally upgraded from after I couldn’t even open a Word document and I have a 4 year old phone that I got for cheap when it was already 4 models out of date. If I ever want to get an actual phone plan instead of buying minute by minute, I’ll have to buy a new phone because it isn’t 5G compatible and that’s what everyone is changing to.

Re: the military. Your answer to people who can’t afford basic necessities is for them to enlist in the army. Yeah I heard of that plan, my ancestors enforced it. It was called slavery. You want people to risk death, trauma, PTSD, sexual assault, and abuse because they can’t afford rent? Wow you should run for government, you’d fit right in.

I suspect that most activities and hobbies have cyclical popularity and perhaps a dip in popularity for a short term could take some stress off of reefs.
Today's kids definitely appear less into outdoor activities in place of video games and internet, however I'm not sure if kids in the 8-16 age range being infatuated with video games explains people in the 20-30 range not being into scuba diving.
I don't buy the idea that things are so much tougher (economically, culturally, etc) on the current generation compared to the past to afford hobbies either. A person doesn't need the latest and greatest phone that's $1,200, my 7 year old smart phone works swimmingly. I'm posting from my 11 year old laptop which I also use to edit my UW photos. I don't think 18 year olds are being held at gun point to sign up for 100s of thousand in loans for degrees that can't support the debt. As far as I'm aware co-op, internships and similar still exist today to help pay for school.
I think it's just priorities and it appears that having the latest gadgets and other stuff like that is a higher priority than outdoor (at least scuba) hobbies for younger generations.
And I don't mind at all being younger than most on the dive boats with me, it's an opportunity to learn and hear stories from those that have a much longer and more extensive dive history.

What makes more sense to you on a financial scale:

An activity that requires good local situations or time off of work plus the money for a vacation as well as ~$350-400 for the opening price, or a $20 video game you can get for almost endless hours of entertainment on a computer you already had to get for school or work? That’s just the minimums of everything, not including extra training, personal gear, trips, or game set-ups. Both can be very expensive but SCUBA has a higher entry price than the vast majority of hobbies and sports. It also has a health requirement.

And again, I will mention that children raised to never be allowed to leave the home without extensive supervision tend to get used to entertainment that they can use in the home, which continues as they get older.

The ONLY reason I was able to start getting into SCUBA so early is because I am one of those rare cases where I don’t need to worry about my necessities. My parents are affluent, I’m in a local school where my tuition is covered fully by academic scholarships that I worked my ass off to get. I still have been working 2 jobs while being enrolled to afford the gear, the training, the trips, and I keep a tight budget where I don’t spend more than $20 a month on non-necessities except for planned expenses (like a new wetsuit and personal gear when I don’t have any and I’ll be working in 45 degree water for 3 months and the work won’t give me any gear to use).

Regarding the degrees – the current education system, at least in the US, is geared to prepare children for college. The jobs that are available mostly require at least a Bachelors (unless you have an in with a company or make your own). Your chances at getting hired and earning a living wage go up massively when you get a college degree, so why the hell wouldn’t someone try? Internships are rarely paid, scholarships are generally academic or sports-related, and there are too many students for everyone to get aid.

Please understand that I did not mean to sound condescending when I used the terms "young people", "younger divers" and "younger generation" because that truly wasn't my intention.

… We having been saving a long time for retirement - but who knows what the future will bring?

We also had a hard time affording diving when we were young. We had to pay for our education and our wedding and put a down payment on a "fixer upper" home and do most of the work ourselves. We would pile everything into our series of "beater" cars and drive all the long way to Florida and the Keys just to go diving, often staying in some pretty un-glamorous lodgings because they were cheap.

I am not saying all this for sympathy, or to belittle your very real and justified concerns, just to let you know that I do understand that financial considerations are a major roadblock to pursuing diving for sport and travel, especially when you are young and just starting out.

I imagine a lot of dive ops are also struggling, but perhaps some of the larger dive vendors could put an increased focus on attracting the younger diving demographic and consider offering some cheaper dive opportunities that would help attract younger divers?

I appreciate that, but you are in the minority on this thread. I am trying to save for my life – to afford an apartment without aid, to afford health insurance, to not have to worry about having to get a loan if I get injured – and I have no idea what will happen either. The global economy is going to heck, there was a shooting threat and a Neo-Nazi in my city, hate groups and violence is on the rise, and I’m a college student with chronic health issues. I graduate soon, have 3 job offers already, and I don’t know if I’m going to be able to afford the next place I live, if I’m going to die going to class, or if my next prescription will be on time and I’ll be able to be functional. And all everyone here is doing is saying ‘Pssh, nothing’s changed! These young kids are complaining for no reason and are just lazy.’ My anger is not directed to you, but to everyone who was curious of the question you asked and quickly dismissed every young person who tried to contribute in a way that didn’t agree with their pre-determined opinions. I don't think I'll ever be able to own my own house.

Possibly sounding older and curmudgeoned beyond my years.... but it really just seems that younger generations (mine included) require such instant gratification that the idea of it taking time to build a life is just totally not palatable.

….Who the f*** are you speaking for? If anything, the uncertainty about what will happen encourages people to keep as many doors open as possible and escape the depressing reality when they can.

It depends on the age targeted but a lot of parents now take a lot of « me time ».. sports and vacations without kids. This results in not exposing them to stuff. Kids learn from example. Teen scuba diving camps or parent/kid pool dives would be awesome! I consider my self a young diver, mid 20’s. I always try and involve my kids some how in what I do.

Those medical and school costs in the states seem crazy!!

They are. My partner got a National Merit scholarship (perfect scores on the major standardized test here), got a second academic scholarship, and has had to take out $30,000 in loans. So no, he isn’t taking on any expensive hobbies anytime soon.

Yeah they did, the boob tube.

Remember the slogan “kill your TV”?

This was in response to too many kids glued to the tube watching mindless shows like Gilligan’s Island and Lost in Space instead of playing outside. I was always outside because I grew up without a TV.

I was always inside because my parents never let me outside the yard cause they were scared of me getting kidnapped. TV was my way of experiencing the world, and still is. I can’t afford a car and my cheap bike can only take me so far.

I've noticed a lot of new, young divers getting certified from places like Koh Tao, but I don't notice them continuing on with diving. It looks to be a one-off type of experience than a lifelong sport for most, even if vacation diving is considered lifelong.

If diving required getting a loan with "easy credit", then I doubt I'd still continue engaging in it. What kind of argument is that? And to say that building credit isn't necessary is ridiculous. Sure, it's possible for anyone to get a loan, but at what interest rates and terms?

Aye, cause Koh Tao is cheap and most can’t afford it for lifelong until they’re later in life and have built up enough for necessities to be taken care of.

If you want to get young people into diving – find a way to decrease equipment cost or better ease people into it. Emphasize what people can do through it – photography, science, trash collection, exploration, history, working, science, and show role models. Feature divers with a story to tell kids, and show the underwater environment as a new environment to explore but impress the responsibility that people have. Shoving people into SCUBA is no use if those people have no respect or care for the environment and will be crappy divers.

I would apologize for my spiel but frankly my dear, I don't give a darn

I've been following this thread with great interest. There is a similar problem with attracting individuals to STEM.

The exact age when girls lose interest in science and math

My suggestion is to introduce the whole of both sexes of that age group (above) to diving. High school in the US. No cost, three gym credits towards graduation. There are at least 15 personality types, not all are suitable to become divers. Many will drop out, some will never forget the experience of breathing underwater.

Yeah. Totally not condescending and critical.

I don't know if he meant it to be but I still thought it might be a good idea. We can't become Avatar but we can dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom