Retirement kick off.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All great input, thanks everyone. My initial post wasn't all that clear I guess, my wife will probably work another year after I retire and doesn't dive. This was why my thoughts for a dive intensive trip for me, solo. Points for airfare (I have quite a few) so that doesn't come into budget. I have been to Bonaire a couple of times, Curacao, Cozumel and Australia for diving including a couple of liveaboards. Curacao is my personal favourite but I will go there again with my wife at some point. I am thinking along the lines probably Philippines, Thailand or maybe Vietnam could be done on a limited budget? If all I can do is 5-6 weeks and need $10 k for that so be it and this is why I am seeking advice. My wife would be happy that I got to do something I love for that long so no issue there.

Ok then, without airfare as a concern, $2,000/wk max.

Different story.

Here, pick whatever:

05828EC3-6C80-4878-8D00-0E9049E36300.jpeg

The Philippines sound wonderful so I hope you find options that will work for you.

I had another thought, if you decide that you would like to try for a multi-destination Caribbean trip.

There are several liveaboards that are based in Nassau, including Blackbeards which is the cheapest with the AquaCat and Aggressor which are the more expensive options. You can do an LOB trip to enjoy the sharks and then you can fly from Nassau to several other Caribbean destinations - since airfare isn't an issue for you.

I know that you can fly direct from Nassau to Provo, Grand Cayman, Havana, San Salvador, and other destinations. You can also hop back to Florida and find flights to Mexico and many more Caribbean destinations.

I guess it depends on whether your air mile points are with one specific airline or if you can apply them to multiple airlines?

Just an idea.

If you are able to go for a longer trip and you have points then in my opinion it's a no brainier, Asia. I love Bonaire (and in my opinion Saba is another gem) but the truth is asia is cheaper if you exclude airfare, the diving is generally better (subjective but I am a nudibranch person) and the food much tastier (if there for a long time on a limited budget).

Since we are talking retirement, I can tell you what out plans are (sadly a bit away) but 2-3 weeks in Sulawesi, then a 2 week livaboard (www.thearenui.com) followed by 2-3 weeks in Spice or Forgotten Islands with a couple days on the Komodo Islands and some general travel and maybe one more livaboard for a total 2-3 months in Indonesia.

2021 we are 3 months in Australia and New Zealand (the start of our semi retirement) and I cant wait to do the Leafy and Weedy Seadragon dives, + the GBR on the Mike Ball liveaboard.

@Sask you state in the first post that your budget is $5-10k. Would that be $5-10k USD or $5-10k CAD? That could make a HUGE difference given that at current exchange rates the Canadian dollar is about $0.75 US.

Planning on retiring in the next two years, my wife probably a year after that. I have been seriously thinking of taking 6 – 10 weeks skip winter dive trip to celebrate my retirement. I will use points for air so that won’t be an issue cost wise. I would like an affordable long stay destination with good diving. I don’t need a JW Marriott, but my back-packing days are long behind me. Budget between $5-10,000, any suggestions?

Sask...

Retirement is only retirement...when you're retired...contact us again in two years...after the handshakes and farewells...and you're on the beach during your 6-10...with a cold Corona in your hand...

What's your wife going to be doing during your 6-10...

Lots of water under the bridge in two years...

W.W...

Retirement? What does that really mean...totally out of the workforce? Me, I plan on going back to teaching part time at the university level...the pay isn’t all that great, but it would go a long way towards my hobby expenses and I give back on a marvelous run I have/had...one can even work a dive shop n return for free or reduced pricing...there are many ways to retire...sitting around isn’t my idea. If I decide to teach online, then the world is my classroom.

Retirement? What does that really mean...totally out of the workforce? Me, I plan on going back to teaching part time at the university level...the pay isn’t all that great, but it would go a long way towards my hobby expenses and I give back on a marvelous run I have/had...one can even work a dive shop n return for free or reduced pricing...there are many ways to retire...sitting around isn’t my idea. If I decide to teach online, then the world is my classroom.

Retirement is doing what you do because you want to (including working) not because you have to :)

I’m just trying to retire but work projects keep getting in the way.

One more vote for the Philippines. We have been there three times in the past 5 years, and are going again in April. I am knocking on the door of 70, but have not quite retired yet. I am a nurse, and they tell me that the only time nurses retire is when they put new rubber on their car wheels. Be that as it may, we have been all over, and we dearly love the Philippines. Once to Anilao, and twice to PG/Sabang. I love the fact that we don't need to fly once we are in Manila, and can get to these places fairly easily. Almost everyone speaks English, and things are fairly cheap if you avoid the tourist traps. We have been using Frontier Scuba in Sabang, and highly recommend them. Also, you may want to consider a rather quirky but unique livaboard out of PG called the Rags II. We sailed with them once, and it was incredible. They have various itineraries around that area, with superb diving and memorable food. Check it out. Anyway, if you are already bent in this direction, the Philippines will not disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom