Retirement kick off.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could also see the South Pacific, maybe Thailand but flights might take a bigger chunk of your budget.

In the OP we are told that cost of airfare is a non-issue.

$135 a day is, however. Keep Googling Stevo.

You are a planning to travel in the winter which is the peak season in the tropics when prices are at their highest. Shore diving can be the cheapest way to do a lot of diving, but you would probably need to be solo certified, traveling with a buddy, or hoping to hook up with buddies on location.

Places that I know of with good, inexpensive shore diving in the Caribbean are Bonaire, Curacao, Cayman, and St. Croix, but those are not cheap places to stay. Of course you can find good shore diving in Florida also, but the winter water will be cold and it can be windy - and Florida in the winter isn't cheap either.

I have no experience with the Philippines so maybe that will work for you, but even with the ability to use points for air travel you may need to rethink your budget or shorten the length of your trip.

I am sorry to say that because I am looking forward to our own retirement, hopefully soon!

Dye your hair silver blue, change 3 lanes at once with no signal, buy a stack of Lotto tickets and move to Hobe Sound Florida just down the road from West Palm Beach / Jupiter. It's cheap and predictable viz diving. All the Canada folks are here already !!

LMAO

Planning on retiring in the next two years, my wife probably a year after that. I have been seriously thinking of taking 6 – 10 weeks skip winter dive trip to celebrate my retirement. I will use points for air so that won’t be an issue cost wise. I would like an affordable long stay destination with good diving. I don’t need a JW Marriott, but my back-packing days are long behind me. Budget between $5-10,000, any suggestions?

Bonaire

...There's a ferry from Coz to Cancun so that should be reasonable. I believe flights to Cancunare more reasonable also - there's a lot of info on the "bag drag" from the Cancun airport to Coz in the Cozumel forum.

Plus see the Mayan ruins at Tulum and dive there as well. Even dive some Cenotes along the way, my buddy did from Cancun and they picked him up. And see the better ruins inland on non dive days.

Not familiar with a ferry from Cancun but there are several between Playa and Coz. Playa is a one hour bus ride on ADO directly from the airport - pretty easy to do.

Other ruins are Coba and Chichen Itza (sp?). And more south of Tulum to the border.

I would suggest Malaysia or Indonesia, both wonderful and budget friendly especially if you like cooking and like asian food, but you are looking for something like the Caribbean they are almost the polar opposite.

My 0.02 is when it comes to diving Asia/Oceania is simply the dream, other than the red sea everything else is a time based compromise.

Also am peeking for when it's time for my retirement.... Off the cuff thoughts:
Are your budget numbers for one person?
$1k per person per week, if the flight cost is spread out over 5 to 10 weeks, seems very doable on Bonaire if the rooming cost and truck cost are split between 2. Going single and rooming single and bearing the truck cost single it will be quite harder, maybe too hard? Maybe try a smaller car rental than a truck then (that may have you sign you don't use it for diving ... well, don't drive it in the water then :) , but a pick-up is so convenient.
But to do 10 weeks on Bonaire w/o the significant other, without a DM stint, without being in a group with good friends, one would have to be very, very diving & maybe photography focussed, make friends, look into wind surfing... IDK...
Something like splitting the time between a few Philippine Islands and maybe low cost dive safari/so sounds more exciting.
But more deeply exploring say the dive sites on, say Bonaire does not sound un-appealing either...
You may just be able to stay around 1k/week with back to back to back LOBs on the Red Sea... but with tips and, if necessary an interim night, counted in (which was not necessary when we did back to back RSA weeks, but that boat would, tips and fees considered, have been above budget even at 50%off). Realistically, the best you can do is a bit above 1k all considered and you still need to factor in flights (costlier from the US, cheap from Europe). And would you really want to do that much back to back LOB diving? It would be interesting to see if one could finale a deal if one contacted "a fleet" and told them: So, I am not bringing a group of 8 or 10 people, but I plan to do 10 back to back weeks on your boats. Will you give me a deal equivalent to your group deals?
But then you still have to want to do that much boat time and LOB diving in a row... Maybe too much LOB based "group diving" for me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom