Dengue Confirmed in a Cayman Resident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good reminder. I'm pretty sure dengue is what I got in St. Croix. Symptoms hit the morning I was coming home. Never had nausea before in my life but had it non-stop for several days along with other symptoms. Did make it to the doctor the next day but was never tested for dengue - just got something for the nausea. Couldn't get out of bed for a week and sat in a chair for another 3 weeks with aches in my joints and zero energy. It was another 2 weeks before I started some normal activity.

NO FUN!

Good reminder. I'm pretty sure dengue is what I got in St. Croix. Symptoms hit the morning I was coming home. Never had nausea before in my life but had it non-stop for several days along with other symptoms. Did make it to the doctor the next day but was never tested for dengue - just got something for the nausea. Couldn't get out of bed for a week and sat in a chair for another 3 weeks with aches in my joints and zero energy. It was another 2 weeks before I started some normal activity.

NO FUN!

That sounds terrible!

The newly confirmed case in Cayman is in someone that hasn't traveled recently so he must have contracted it locally. I appreciate that the Cayman authorities seem very diligent in their efforts to control mosquito populations and in monitoring infections - and in alerting the public.

I don't know if things have changed but during our trips to Roatan many people were unaware of the need to take precautions against malaria and mosquito-borne virus infections.

NO FUN!

Perhaps chikungunya?

Perhaps chikungunya?

Not sure I'd heard about either back then - it was Dec. 2012 - but a DM from N2theBlue had talked about a rash that she currently had and attributed to dengue. Dengue was "the" thing being talked about though at the time.

Not sure I'd heard about either back then - it was Dec. 2012 - but a DM from N2theBlue had talked about a rash that she currently had and attributed to dengue. Dengue was "the" thing being talked about though at the time.

Did you have a rash too?

You could still be tested for both Dengue and Chikungunya to confirm a past infection. Your body would have formed antibodies against the virus that persist in your blood.

It might be useful to find out if you had Dengue because if you ever get a repeat infection (hopefully not!) you would be more likely to develop hemorrhagic fever which can kill you, so an early diagnosis could be important.

You might try posting the question in the diving medicine forum to get more expert information:
Diving Medicine

Oh dear, that's not cheerful

Did you have a rash too?

Not sure if it was from nausea medicine or whatever I had, but my legs from about mid-thigh down to my feet turned red - we assumed it to be a rash but my skin was still smooth. This occurred about the 3rd or 4th day from the time I first started feeling bad. Called the doctor who took me off the nausea meds.

@KathyV Good to know. If I remember, I’ll see if they will do that for me next time I go to the doctor.

Back
Top Bottom