Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If bailing water when there is a big gaping hole in the hull makes you feel better about yourself, feel free to continue. But don't be chastising others who recognize the futility of it.
Can't believe I am allowing myself to be sucked into this tangent, but here goes:
@ReefHound - I had to check back on earlier posts, and you do at least seem to agree that there is a problem. So there is at least some common ground there.
Regarding your metaphor, and continuing on in the same vein - I don't think there is a gaping hole... just yet. But there are a lot of small leaks that are getting larger and more numerous all the time. The sump used to be able to keep up with, and even ahead of the leaks, but that is no longer the case. Time to start plugging leaks, and working to prevent new ones. Every leak that is plugged, reduced, or avoided gives that "sump" a better chance to return to equilibrium or better. Hope you are willing to bail a bit here and there yourself, because every little bit helps.

C-MGzU7XgAI1B7A.jpg

I have never been to Isla Mujeres, but while I was on Cozumel in May a friend of mine was on Isla, and when we got home we compared experiences. He's not a diver, so we couldn't compare reefs, but while all the east facing beaches on Cozumel and the nearby Yucatan were inundated with sargassum, the east beaches on Isla were completely free of it. Go figure.

I dove two tanks on Isla Mujeres last Christmas. Their big attraction they hyped at the resort we stayed at was the concrete sculptures of a few VW bugs and a lot of statues cast from people. The coral wasn't that plentiful and the fish life was not as abundant as my two previous trips to Cozumel. I've also dove the cenotes and the Playa del Carmen area. That's why we book at Cozumel instead of something around Cancun, Playa del Carmen or other mainland locations. I'm hoping it doesn't come to having to go elsewhere in the future. I will say the Cayman Islands are very nice but much more expensive.

Here in the keys it was said that fish might of been spreading it from coral to coral

To me, it seems like they should be able to locate on satellite some coral that isn't frequented by divers and see if it has the disease. For instance, are the corals north of the Island that the northern operations have discovered healthy?

To me, it seems like they should be able to locate on satellite some coral that isn't frequented by divers and see if it has the disease. For instance, are the corals north of the Island that the northern operations have discovered healthy?

From what has been posted here, the northern sites also have the disease.

The north looks just like the south

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom