What’s the future for California dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both Michigan and Indiana have state inspection programs for all charter vessels regardless of number of passengers.

Since many US scuba charters operate in and out of Michigan waters depending on the dive site I think most end up getting inspected.

[.....]

I don't recall if Canadian rules in the Great Lakes require any kind of inspections.

Of course we do inspections in Canada.

Passenger Vessels FAQ - Transport Canada

Are small non-pleasure vessels inspected for safety by the government?
Small non-pleasure vessels may be inspected by Transport Canada at any time. Larger vessels - such as those carrying more than 12 passengers - are inspected annually.

Of course we do inspections in Canada.

Passenger Vessels FAQ - Transport Canada

Are small non-pleasure vessels inspected for safety by the government?
Small non-pleasure vessels may be inspected by Transport Canada at any time. Larger vessels - such as those carrying more than 12 passengers - are inspected annually.
The point is that Michigan inspects all charter vessels - even 6 packs

Are any of the vessels operating on the Canadian side of the Lakes even 12 passengers?

I have been on two liveaboards. Both had one exit that was adequate for exit and one that I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of in case of emergency.

As I read about the possibility of a charging station being where the fire started I'm reminded that we are only allowed to carry lithium batteries in carry-on and not in our checked bags. Maybe the danger is the batteries but is increased when a bunch are being charged? (I am trying to make sure I'm only charging batteries during waking hours now).

Lastly, just as the safest time to fly would have been right after 9/11, because of heightened security, I suspect now is the safest time to go on a liveaboard as the crews are being more cautious, the Coast Guard is making more thorough reviews of safety procedures (not saying they weren't thorough before), and divers may be more alert to where the exits and fire safety procedures. But truly, I'm more apprehensive about doing a LOB right now.

I have been on two liveaboards. Both had one exit that was adequate for exit and one that I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of in case of emergency.

As I read about the possibility of a charging station being where the fire started I'm reminded that we are only allowed to carry lithium batteries in carry-on and not in our checked bags. Maybe the danger is the batteries but is increased when a bunch are being charged? (I am trying to make sure I'm only charging batteries during waking hours now).

Lastly, just as the safest time to fly would have been right after 9/11, because of heightened security, I suspect now is the safest time to go on a liveaboard as the crews are being more cautious, the Coast Guard is making more thorough reviews of safety procedures (not saying they weren't thorough before), and divers may be more alert to where the exits and fire safety procedures. But truly, I'm more apprehensive about doing a LOB right now.
I’m with you on a lot of this.
I just wonder now if they will let us sleep on the Spectre the night before a day trip when the boat is docked in the harbor without a night watch. I should call. Every time I’ve been down there, there was at most two other people from out of town taking advantage if the free bunks the night before. A lot if times I had the entire boat to myself.
I was considering doing Bugzilla on the Peace, which is the sister ship to the Truth, but I don't know how I feel about that now. I’ve had enough fire stuff already. Besides, those bunks are tight and annoying. At 6’4” I can never fully stretch out and I only get half asleep all night. A two day is about all I can handle because I can’t really sleep and fully go out. Combine that with everyones exhaled CO2, the stuffy air, snoring, and bozo’s fart gas, and it get’s bad.

I think I’m just going to do day boats or shore dive off my own coast for a while.

The point is that Michigan inspects all charter vessels - even 6 packs

Are any of the vessels operating on the Canadian side of the Lakes even 12 passengers?

Tobermory: Deep Obsession 23 passengers

Thousand Islands/Kingston area: Knot A River Queen and Emily C both take up to 20 passengers.

AMG and Osprey used to take 18 but have been scaled back to 12

Back
Top Bottom