Tips and Tricks for all divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In many magazines I have subscribed to over time, they will have a user tips and tricks section where people share the small things they have learned over time. Scubaboard is filled with valuable information on nearly every topic in diving. I wanted to start a thread where people share the "little things" that have made a difference. It can be anything that makes a gear configuration easier, how to clean something easier or better, and alternate use of an item, those things you figured out or someone told you that make things easier. I enjoy reading through things like this and adapting ideas to my gear, my routines, and the way I dive.

So I will start with a small one and I hope others will add to the list. Many people probably end up with different lights, cameras, strobes, etc., really anything with O rings. When you buy something they almost always come with spare O rings. If you are like me you end up with gear tub instead of keeping all the boxes just to keep O rings separated. Cut a little piece of paper, write down what the O ring is for, then you can throw them all in one place. 2 years later when you need to replace an O ring you wont be scratching your head about which one goes on this light vs the other light.

I love this thread! There are so many I don't even know where to start.

Since you started with photography, so will I. I bought clear plastic battery holders. I insert them in a particular direction when I know they are fully charged and when I remove them and they are drained, I put them in backwards.

I carry a Scrubba Wash Bag that doubles as my dry bag at the beach or on day boats and I also use it to do laundry.

I travel with an international voltage power strip that has universal plugs. It has a US plug so I can use it at home and when I travel, I bring an adapter. It ensures I always have enough plugs for charging my dive camera gear and other electronics where I need it and I become popular on liveaboards. :) I bring a multi plug USB adapter (4) so I can charge various things without carrying so many separate wall chargers. That easily plugs into the strip.

I have put waterproof dive stickers with my e-mail address which also has my full name in it so it serves to identify my items on a dive boat or liveaboard. Should I lose it and someone is honest, it will also aid in its return. I have it on all items - dive computer, camera gear and accessories, fins. I also have an identifying pull zip on my wetsuit so I can find it easily on a rack of all black wetsuits, even if it is turned inside out to dry.

If you are sensitive to the sun or sunburn easily, or have long surface swims, or spend a lot of time on a dinghy boat or on the surface, you can purchase a foldable hat like the one below that will fold flat and you can stow away in a BC pocket or thigh pocket. It even stows in my teeeeeny tiny Scubapro Ladyhawk roll down pocket. It dries very quickly and is incredibly light and flexible. There are fold seams and it is meant to be folded. This particular model is the Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure Hat and I LOVE it for this and general travel. It's a bit dorky looking, but super practical. You can also use a neck Buff and move it up your face and bring it down as you need it. At the very least, it will protect your neck and your ears and below your eyes. You can also use them in many different ways and create a bandana or a beanie and wear them in many different ways.

I will be back for more as I think of them! Great thread!

buff-how-to-wear-12ways.png

Side-view-684x1024.jpg

I bought clear plastic battery holders. I insert them in a particular direction when I know they are fully charged and when I remove them and they are drained, I put them in backwards.

That's a good idea. I have 2 pack cases for 18650's and need to get some AA cases so I dont have to do the tape thing when traveling. I should Mark them on one side and do this.

I have put waterproof dive stickers with my e-mail address which also has my full name in it so it serves to identify my items on a dive boat or liveaboard.
I have never marked any of my gear but I probably should. What stickers do you use? Do they hold up well over time?

I have never marked any of my gear but I probably should. What stickers do you use? Do they hold up well over time?

Some people like the ones found at www.divinglabels.com; I use the 3M ones from Amazon. Amazon.com : Personalized Waterproof 3M Sticker Labels for Scuba Diving gear, Boating gear, Fishing gear, Kayak gear and Camping gear : Prints : Sports & Outdoors They last a long time. It helps to clean the surface with alcohol first, and the smoother it is, the better.

I have been on a boat where 4 people all had black Mares Avanti Quattro + fins. I was the only one with a size small, but it made it super easy for the dive crew to know which one was mine and to pair it up with the right dinghy/dive group on a liveaboard. :) Same with the dive computer and we could tell which one was whose without powering it up to see the start up screen or what have you. I also use www.yourbagtag.com and have done a custom made BC tag that has my emergency contact info on it - including my DAN #, name, DOB, in case of emergency contact, and my allergies (I have an allergy to a specific antibiotic). It also identifies my BC which is great for dive staff or in general. I also got a Road ID made with the same info and wear it on my wrist (sometimes) though I am bad about doing it all the time.

Since it sounds like you do photography, another great thing I like to bring is a little air nozzle. For boats that don't have air guns or any cylinders for photographers to use to blow water off electronics/camera, you can easily attach this to your LP hose after a dive and do it yourself. It's under $10.

OH, and how can I forget the amazing and famous AO COOLER? I use it as my personal transport for my camera rig on day boats but also my personal rinse tank when there is none, the one provided is too crowded, or if I don't trust the other people on the boat. (A lot of damage happens there, apparently.) On days where you're not diving, it makes a RAD cooler for drinks and food. At home, it's great for that, too, and groceries.

51FuRNaPstL._SX425_.jpg

Since it sounds like you do photography, another great thing I like to bring is a little air nozzle. For boats that don't have air guns or any cylinders for photographers to use to blow water off electronics/camera, you can easily attach this to your LP hose after a dive and do it yourself. It's under $10.
I have that exact one clipped to my BC and it is very handy. I use it to blow off all water from a case, strobe or light if I have to swap out batteries between dives. I also use it to blow off all water from my first stage before taking it off the tank to swap to a new or put the dustcap on. If you are blowing water off photography gear make sure you are not placing the nozzle too close. You could break the integrity of the seal in a button, or an O ring seal in a door. Just gently blow off the water. This nozzle lets you control the flow of air.

Bungee fin straps! They're cheap, easier to use than spring straps and can be replaced in a minute. They last hundreds of dives for less than a dollar.
dscf2972-jpg-397057-jpg-450505-jpg-455580-jpg-462242-jpg.504745.jpg

I used to use a knot but have since found zip ties to be more secure.
_dsc1236-jpg.467795.jpg

I also cut off my wrist seals to make it easier to get in and out of my drysuit with dry gloves.

Compartmented boxes that are made for medications and vitamins are handy for storing larger amounts of O-rings for your safe-a-dive kit. You can also use boxes made for fishing lures.

full.jpg

Shrink tubing makes great protectors for sliding O-rings over threads without damaging them:

full.jpg

Shrink tubing makes great protectors for sliding O-rings over threads without damaging them:

Compartmented boxes that are made for medications and vitamins are handy for storing larger amounts of O-rings for your safe-a-dive kit. You can also use boxes made for fishing lures.

great tips, especially the last one.

I use a kit bag to carry my gear. Mercury Luggage Code Alpha Aviator Kit Bag GSA COMPLIANT T9990 There are no markings on the bag to let people know whats inside. The bag is large enough to carry everything and is waterproof so on the return trip the inside of my vehicle is not getting wet. Since it is waterproof I have on occasion used it to clean my gear in a hurry by just leaving everything inside and filling it with water. I have also used it as a lift bag and an anchor when I am kayak diving by tying a line to it and filling it with rocks.

Another way to use your reel and SMB if you are ever left behind by a dive boat is to tie the line to your weight belt and drop the belt so it acts as an anchor. The first place they will come to when they start the search is your last known position and expand the search out from that point. You want to be in the first place they are going to look for you. Depending on how much air you have left and how deep the water is another option would be to go back to the bottom and tie off to something down there. If you have a SMB that is open at the bottom and it is getting dark you can shine your light inside the SMB to light the whole thing up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom