Wedding Rings and the Ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if it's not silver, then it should be fine in terms of durability. Getting lost is another story. I have a cheap SS ring and another cheap titanium one I use when diving depending on my mood and suit. My SS one is a claddagh ring like my "real" ring, and the titanium one is just a band. The claddagh ring isn't kind to seals on suits so I don't wear in when cold water or drysuit diving.
I would prefer people not use silicone bands for these because if they get lost it's just adding to the things that don't degrade and can harm sealife if eaten....

Met many men that wear high set solitaires?
I have no idea what "high set solitaires" mean, but AFAIK both men and women wear rings. And in my world, you'll find both men and women who are "working with their hands". So I'm more than a little confused as to how only one gender is addressed. Unless there's some sexism in play.

I have no idea what "high set solitaires" mean, but AFAIK both men and women wear rings. And in my world, you'll find both men and women who are "working with their hands". So I'm more than a little confused as to how only one gender is addressed. Unless there's some sexism in play.
A ‘high set solitaire” is a solitary diamond that sets proud of the ring. Often found on American Ladies engagement rings. Not often if ever found on a men’s ring. Men don’t often have diamonds of any kind in their wedding ring.
upload_2019-6-30_15-59-27.jpg

You might agree that it is innapropriate for diving.

I lost my first wedding ring (the one that came with the first wife) because I took it off to do a project in the shop and forgot about it. Maybe it foreshadowed bigger issues, but still, I think if I hadn’t taken it off I wouldn’t have lost it. I’m not sure that swapping the good ring for an imposter every time I go diving will make it LESS likely I will lose the good ring.

First wife also wasn’t much into diving. I decided if I got married again I wouldn’t remove the ring. Present wife is my best dive buddy, and if I lost the ring, chances are she would be on the dive with me, and we’d just share a moment of sorrow and buy me a new ring.

She doesn’t dive with her diamond ring, of course.

if it's not silver, then it should be fine in terms of durability. Getting lost is another story. I have a cheap SS ring and another cheap titanium one I use when diving depending on my mood and suit. My SS one is a claddagh ring like my "real" ring, and the titanium one is just a band. The claddagh ring isn't kind to seals on suits so I don't wear in when cold water or drysuit diving.
I would prefer people not use silicone bands for these because if they get lost it's just adding to the things that don't degrade and can harm sealife if eaten....

What happens to silver, out of curiosity?

I have no interest in stones or anything protruding and I don't believe he does either, so my question was more for the metals making up the band. I have easier access to silver than I do stainless steel or titanium and the tools required to shape those.

The idea is that we'll make them ourselves, so it won't be anything fancy or expensive. Mostly just something to appease the families that will last through labwork (both of us), and for me, the outdoors and the ocean, and odd bits of carpentry.

I doubt I'll dive with them much on purpose, but knowing me I'll either forget and splash with it still on or put it in a sealed pocket on my bc or around my neck on a chain under my suit to make sure nothing happens to it on the boat

I used to remove my wedding and engagement rings when I traveled abroad or dived, but I haven't done this in a long time. After 16 years I am so used to the rings that I don't think about them as something to take on/off and I have done my last ~100 dives with them on with no issues. The water doesn't affect them (white gold and diamonds) and they're fine in chlorinated pools too.

Doc does make a good point about the high set solitaire being a potential safety issue. Mine is tiny compared to the one in the image above (but don't tell my husband I said that--it seemed like a king's ransom when we were in grad school), but I guess I should try to remember to leave it at home.

I used to remove my wedding and engagement rings when I traveled abroad or dived, but I haven't done this in a long time. After 16 years I am so used to the rings that I don't think about them as something to take on/off and I have done my last ~100 dives with them on with no issues. The water doesn't affect them (white gold and diamonds) and they're fine in chlorinated pools too.

Doc does make a good point about the high set solitaire being a potential safety issue. Mine is tiny compared to the one in the image above (but don't tell my husband I said that--it seemed like a king's ransom when we were in grad school), but I guess I should try to remember to leave it at home.

Haha, your secret is safe with me. I've always favored the simplicity of just a band (and the cheapness), but that was my worry that if we made rings that happened to react with water/seawater, I would just constantly forget to take it off

We take them off. Me mostly because sometimes it starts to get loose, my fingers must shrink. She because the rock is as others point out likely to get caught on something. And who needs to worry about something expensive, sentimental, and not necessary while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom