TDI Advanced Nitrox / Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shop requiring NAUI is one that is over in Canada which is about 3 hours from me

Dan's?

I am based in Toronto. I was told the same by them...All I really want to do is ANDP for occasional deco dive and 100% O2 my upcoming trip to Chuuk. I do not see myself going all in into tec diving and I do not want to buy all the gears they suggested either...I may do ANDP as part of a dive vaca in warm water instead.

I think it looks like you have found one shop/instructor that is charging towards the bottom of the range and one at the upper end of that range. Where we live I am at $850-925 for the course depending on the location I am teaching it.

Dan's?

I am based in Toronto. I was told the same by them...All I really want to do is ANDP for occasional deco dive and 100% O2 my upcoming trip to Chuuk. I do not see myself going all in into tec diving and I do not want to buy all the gears they suggested either...I may do ANDP as part of a dive vaca in warm water instead.

Yep, Dan's

Dan's?

Like half pregnant?

Messing around with 100% O2 underwater and ANDP IS full on technical diving, it does require the right mindset and attitude towards training and gear, I hope you reconsider!

Personally I like the idea of requiring intro to tech before AN/DP, many of us think it should be an agency requirement. As for the shop requiring NAUI, idk, there could be a bunch of reasons behind it and I could speculate it for hours, I just don’t think it matters what agency is used for it, as long as it’s done properly, kudos to the shop for requiring it and not rolling with just the bare minimum, assuming they’re doing it for the benefit of the divers.

I'm charging $800 per student with a minimum of two students, but that is if you can complete it in 4 days. A private class is $300/day ($1200 to do it in 4 days). If you need more days, it'll cost you more.

I am one of those that require Intro to Tech as a pre-req, and here's why:

TDI's Advance Nitrox/Deco Procedures is the largest step you'll have when you start doing deco dives, period. This course introduces you to decompression diving, gas management including accelerated deco, and more. Additionally, while the maximum depth limit is 150', the only limit on how much deco you can do once you've completed the class is up to you. I do recommend to my students no more than 15 minutes of deco after the course until they build more experience, but as I said, there's no upper limit.

I place a strong emphasis on TEAMWORK, buoyancy, trim, equipment management, self-awareness, situational awareness, and global awareness in the course. If you lack these things you won't make it through my course. I require ITT because I've had too many people show up for class convinced they had good buoyancy, trim and awareness and it turned out they didn't. Here's the problem I've faced, if I have three people in a course, and two are squared away and the third isn't, it's unfair to the squared away students to stop the course and go back to basics to accommodate the weak student. And, I've had a couple of weak students that got kicked out of AN/DP and complained about it.

So screw it, I'm requiring ITT now so you should at least be prepared for the course and we can focus on what AN/DP is about, rather than the basics.

IMHO, if your AN/DP course was done correctly, jumping to Normoxic Trimix will be pretty easy and straight-forward.

I just wrapped up an AN/DP course yesterday, we jumped off a boat in Jupiter Florida into a 3 knot current for a 140' deep drift dive filled with sharks, turtles, and more pompano than I can eat in a life time. Because these guys were squared away, the dive went smoothly and everyone had a great time.

Adding, Pavao (above) got to watch my students doing their deco yesterday. One of them even did a Gator Chomp.

Around me 2 of the 3 instructors are $1,200 and one shop is $1,000. This cost includes the boat costs.

What he said

My AN/DP class has been at $650. That is tuition and books only. Due to increased costs, I'll be raising it.
Private is $1000.00
It also depends on how it's done. If done over 5 days as I like to teach it, that's the cost. It does not include entry fees or boat fees. If i need to travel farther than my usual location for the class, the price goes up.
Fills are not included. No gear is included. If you're not willing to invest in the required gear for the class, you shouldn't be taking up tech diving.
I want to see 100 dives and at least 25 dives in the gear you'll be using before starting. Otherwise yeah, an ITT class would be required to avoid the issues Ken brought up. Luckily, my last AN/DP class had 3 students who had completed some cave training so ITT wasn't necessary.
This last class also had some scheduling issues due to student work obligations so we split up the AN from the DP and it worked very well because they had time to work on the skills from AN and get some practice with those before DP. I didn't charge extra for this because they all have spent a fair amount of money with me for other training and gear. Loyalty gets rewarded.
If these were people I didn't really know, splitting the class would incur a $100 increase on the total.
It also meant that for the class they got 5 AN dives and 5 DP dives. Did they need that many? Not really, but at the end, no one complained about the length or how they looked and functioned at the end.

I’m similar, $200 a day, intro to tech as a prerequisite and a checkout dive with me. Course is usually 4-5 days ($800-1000).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom