TDI Advanced Nitrox / Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afmiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a question on what to look for in an instructor or ANDP. A local shop here is charging $1200 for both, while a shop maybe 20 min further is 1/2 the cost almost. I understand its all in the instructor, but not having taken any tec courses I don't know what I need to look for. Cause almost $600 less raises a red flag to me, or unless $1200 is on the high end.

I'm $1000 for that class, well, it's two classes, but you know what I mean.

Anyone I'd be willing to take that class from would be at least $800.

Look at pricing from Jim Wyatt, Ken Sallot, Mel Clark, etc. I believe they are all above $800

I paid $750 plus the online course fee.

Check what each includes. The high price one may already include boat charter fees, manual, gas, etc. while the cheaper one may not. That alone could account for the difference.

Check what each includes. The high price one may already include boat charter fees, manual, gas, etc. while the cheaper one may not. That alone could account for the difference.
On the surface they both charge gas fees and boat charters. But up here in the finger lakes area, you don't need the boat, you can got off the shore and get deep water quick

DRIS charges $800 here in the Chicago area for AN/DP with one of their two tech instructors. The deep dives are at a quarry 4 hours away in WI. Quarry fees, travel, etc., are separate.

So heres another question, Found a Dive shop that does TDI AN/DP, but their site says your required to do NAUI Intro to tec before you can do the TDI AN/DP. Are Shops allowed to force this prerequisite upon the course, considering this is a TDI course and they've defined the prerequisites, and they are trying to inject a different agency into TDI training? I get how that from a $ money that makes sense for them cause they get more, but from other stand points, it doesn't seem to jive, at least in my head

$1200 doesn't strike me as totally unreasonable for an experienced instructor in a HCOL area, especially if the course goes beyond the minimum standards.

Are they very specific that it must be NAUI ITT rather than an equivalent course?

Looking at the TDI Advanced Nitrox course page, it appears that the agency sets a floor for minimum prerequisites, but would allow for instructor discretion to require more than that minimum.

Does seem rather odd that they would require NAUI ITT rather than TDI ITT, if that is indeed the case.

$1200 doesn't strike me as totally unreasonable for an experienced instructor in a HCOL area, especially if the course goes beyond the minimum standards.

Are they very specific that it must be NAUI ITT rather than an equivalent course?

Looking at the TDI Advanced Nitrox course page, it appears that the agency sets a floor for minimum prerequisites, but would allow for instructor discretion to require more than that minimum.

The shop requiring NAUI is one that is over in Canada which is about 3 hours from me

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom