PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... Most dive operations I think would be reluctant to notify authorities early and could spend hours trying to handle an issue themselves. ....
That kinda goes back to 'Who Should I dive with?? ". There are a ton of bad dive operator reviews here and elsewhere, if you don't take the time to read then it's your own fault. There are not only operators that I won't dive with,,,but even in some cases,certain captains with good ops that I won't dive with. (if you crash the dock and rip the boat ladder off, I'm not diving with you)

And you are right, certain ops may not call for help. Others have set established procedures on when to call. On our boat it's by the book, Coast guard is called at double the expected dive dive time (45min expected, call @ 90mins w/no smb). Some radio calls to friends diving our same drift line may go out ahead of that CG call too. We also talk to the other dive boats if we plan to back dive them. Even if we absolutely hate another operator,,,,if they call for assistance, we drop what we are doing and go - no questions asked.

I posted a note about Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) in another thread. I thought it’ll be good to post it here too.

The MRG will broadcast AIS & DSC alerts. For the first 30 minutes of the AIS alert will be broadcasted to specific MMSI (i.e., the liveaboard MMSI that you synchronize the MRG to, you can synchronize it via iPhone or Android phone), before broadcasting to the rest of surrounding boats within the horizon.

This Personal AIS beacon (PAB) is more effective and can get quicker response than PLB, especially in 3rd world countries. 6 out of 12 liveaboards that I have ever been on (Palau Aggressor, Maldives Aggressor, Spoilsport, Argo, Nautilus Undersea and Galápagos Master) loan one for each divers for free of charge during the trip. That is the reason I have both PAB & PLB.

You don’t need canister for it too as it is waterproof rated to 425’ (129m).

Where did I categorically state that additional safety gear isn't needed?

It was in response to this:
99.9% (or more) of my diving is in conditions where carrying a PLB or an EPIRB would be serious overkill. In those scenarios, gettting lost at sea would be one of my minor concerns. Sure, there are other issues to handle, but just because of that I prefer to do an informed risk analysis and carry the most relevant equipment.

Side note: I was trying to not clutter up a long post with lots of quotes, but clearly I caused problems by just tagging people. Moving forward, I'll either include the quotes or won't put any tag. I'm sorry to you & any others I tagged for any confusion that I caused.

It was in response to this:
Which was misrepresented in your reply. Straw man.

Alternatively, I didn't make myself quite clear. But if you look at my followup in post #346, I thought it should be evident that what I was advocating wasn't a categorical "additional safety gear isn't needed", but that the diver should do a qualified risk assessment and choose their safety gear accordingly. Cf also @boulderjohn 's posts.

Trying again to explain, this time with some specific examples:
If your diving is far off shore NJ, or on the tip of an island known for strong currents which may take you way out into the Gulf, being carried to sea is a risk that should be assessed and mitigated by carrying suitable safety gear. However, if your diving takes place in an archipelago with moderate currents, or in a confined body of water like a fjord, being carried to sea is a risk that can be quickly dismissed as rather minor compared to other risks, like e.g. cold-induced freeflows, or hypothermia, or getting an impromptu haircut from a moron in a boat, or slipping on an icy rock. Assess the risks realistically, and choose your safety gear accordingly.

Why no love for the SPOT devices?

Mine is specked to last 24 days in SOS mode with a clear view of the sky and has user replaceable batteries. Also the subscription comes with $100k usd SAR insurance.

My wife and I use the none emergency messaging features all the time as she does solo back country hiking rather often. It's nice to get a text with location and an "I'm OK". The none life threatening emergency button is great as well. She used it once when caught in a storm, but didn't want a full SAR. I drove up to her nearest bailout point and got her out of the storm a few days early.

I've been putting it in one of these, but just ordered a Light Monkey Canister to be more secure:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RCVXO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. Total cost (converted from pounds) $87.19 for the canister, $26.87 for shipping and a spare o-ring kit.
My Custom Divers canister arrived. Nice! Easy to operate. Slick design webbing case to hold it on my belt. Very well made. I like it much better than the HDV one.

Mine is specked to last 24 days in SOS mode with a clear view of the sky and has user replaceable batteries. Also the subscription comes with $100k usd SAR insurance.

My wife and I use the none emergency messaging features all the time as she does solo back country hiking rather often. It's nice to get a text with location and an "I'm OK". The none life threatening emergency button is great as well. She used it once when caught in a storm, but didn't want a full SAR. I drove up to her nearest bailout point and got her out of the storm a few days early.

I've been putting it in one of these, but just ordered a Light Monkey Canister to be more secure:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RCVXO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it’s because you need to pay subscription to something that may not happen to you. PLB has no subscription and its alerts would be directly send to SAR satellite, not the private satellites like those managed by SPOT.

The 200’ depth rated waterproof case is a good find. Unfortunately it’s not currently available.

Are they waterproof on the surface? Will it float if you fumble? I couldn't find answers.

Maybe because their service is spotty at best. So often you send a message that vanishes, and people get worried: Backcountry skiers located by Mabel Lake - Vernon Morning Star

Also the subscription comes with $100k usd SAR insurance.
SAR does not charge, you know. You're paying $150/year for the possibility of getting messages out.

The 200’ depth rated waterproof case is a good find. Unfortunately it’s not currently available.
Unfortunately a little too shallow for any of the ACR devices: Dimensions - Interior: 5.75” x 2.75” x 1.25”, Exterior: 7” x 4” x 2”. Even the little PLB1 (the thinnest) is 1.3" thick.

Are they waterproof on the surface? Will it float if you fumble? I couldn't find answers.

Maybe because their service is spotty at best. So often you send a message that vanishes, and people get worried: Backcountry skiers located by Mabel Lake - Vernon Morning Star

SAR does not charge, you know. You're paying $150/year for the possibility of getting messages out.

Floats and is waterproof.

We have never had issues with getting messages out, even down between mountains during heavy storms.

I spend more than $150 on gas for a single dive, I think I can swing it. Especially since it includes SAR insurance.

Back
Top Bottom