Trip Report - Tulamben, Bali with Liberty Dive Resort (October 2018)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought Padang Bai was cheap. Tulamben is cheaper? Imagine that.

Or is it because you were doing shore diving, which should indeed be cheaper than boat diving?

I paid about US$30 for a shore dive, and an additional US$5 for dives outside Tulamben. This is with a private guide and free Nitrox. Also, good prices for accommodation :D

I paid about US$30 for a shore dive, and an additional US$5 for dives outside Tulamben. This is with a private guide and free Nitrox. Also, good prices for accommodation :D

Not that much different my friend.

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from your experience in Tulamben with LDR :)

We tried to book for 4 days but they're having a macro UW photography event going on so we'll spend May 3 at Puri Madha, then move to LDR on May 4.
Then on May 7 we'll go to Padang Bai to dive with Geko Dive for 6 days and then finally some days in Ubud before flying back on May 17.
I felt taking two weeks off from work would be a good amount of time to get a good overview of what Bali has to offer. It will be our first visit to Indonesia even though we're located much closer than all these people who visit multiple times per year!

Beautiful photos and great report. We also had a wonderful stay at LDR a couple years ago - we’ll be returning!

Thank you!

Not that mych different my friend.

Really? I was under the impression it would cost at least a few to ten over dollars more per dive at Padang Bai, not forgetting extra for a private guide which all adds up very quickly when you're doing 20+ dives.

We tried to book for 4 days but they're having a macro UW photography event going on so we'll spend May 3 at Puri Madha, then move to LDR on May 4.
Then on May 7 we'll go to Padang Bai to dive with Geko Dive for 6 days and then finally some days in Ubud before flying back on May 17.
I felt taking two weeks off from work would be a good amount of time to get a good overview of what Bali has to offer. It will be our first visit to Indonesia even though we're located much closer than all these people who visit multiple times per year!

Haha yea LDR is popular with photographers and regularly host photography events; perhaps you'll see for yourself why that is!

Sounds like a good, efficient, plan. I've never been to Padang Bai but hear good things about the place. Enjoy yourself, neighbour! Hope to hear good things from you after your trip :D

Thank you!

Really? I was under the impression it would cost at least a few to ten over dollars more per dive at Padang Bai, not forgetting extra for a private guide which all adds up very quickly when you're doing 20+ dives.
:D

I never did figure the prices out exactly because the local dives were cheaper than the further boat dives and the van rides to Tulamben etc. but was happy that on average were around 40,000-45,000 idr/dive and that got me lunch too on dive days and 28% Nitrox. (I prefer 32% but 28% was included so I went with it) I also had my own dive guide who I had to share with one other diver from time to time. (Hey @tippietoes12, thanks for the beautiful pictures, especially the backpacker nudi) yes, so there I was diving with another Scubaboard member and hadn't realized at first; another extraordinarily pleasant experience that came from diving at Padang Bai.

I never did figure the prices out exactly because the local dives were cheaper than the further boat dives and the van rides to Tulamben etc. but was happy that on average were around 40,000-45,000 idr/dive and that got me lunch too on dive days and 28% Nitrox. (I prefer 32% but 28% was included so I went with it) I also had my own dive guide who I had to share with one other diver from time to time. (Hey @tippietoes12, thanks for the beautiful pictures, especially the backpacker nudi) yes, so there I was diving with another Scubaboard member and hadn't realized at first; another extraordinarily pleasant experience that came from diving at Padang Bai.
Hey Chilly

The pleasure was all mine and tanks for excellent your company and wonderful spots ! And, thanks to some sessions with my therapists and some pharmaceuticals, I have have now forgiven you for spotting the Mola , the Whalesharks and Mantas the day before.

I love diving in Bali and both Padang Bai and Tulamben are excellent locations with many pros and no cons of each. Personally I probably marginally preferred my time Tulamben this time , but PB is also very very well worth a visit. The cost per night plus two dives were very similar for both PBBR and LDR.

Great report OP , wholeheartedly agree with everything you say about Tulamben.

Best fishes xx

I did consider Padang Bai for macro, but from what I found online, the value isn't anywhere what I could get in Tulamben (yes, i'm very stingy :D). Still, I'd love to check out Padang Bai if I could spend more than a week in Bali!

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from your experience in Tulamben with LDR :)

I had to Google 'Magic Roundabout' :p Glad you enjoyed your time in Tulamben, it's been twice for me so far, and I'll be back for a third for sure if I can find the time.

Hope you have a great time in Indonesia! Are you doing a LOB in Komodo?

I'll be at Scuba Junkie Komodo so land based.

Sounds like you had a great time! I just might head over to PB when I find the time :)

Hey Chilly

The pleasure was all mine and tanks for excellent your company and wonderful spots ! And, thanks to some sessions with my therapists and some pharmaceuticals, I have have now forgiven you for spotting the Mola , the Whalesharks and Mantas the day before.

I love diving in Bali and both Padang Bai and Tulamben are excellent locations with many pros and no cons of each. Personally I probably marginally preferred my time Tulamben this time , but PB is also very very well worth a visit. The cost per night plus two dives were very similar for both PBBR and LDR.

Great report OP , wholeheartedly agree with everything you say about Tulamben.

Best fishes xx

Thank you! More reason here for me to give PB a shot :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom