Reason To Make Bag Drag from Cancun to Cozumel for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So basically they were unhappy with their cut of protection costs. Got it.

No, that's not what I said, is it?
But if you'd like to continue your snarky narrative based on your own reality, carry on.

PS: I do sincerely thank you for posting; sometimes crossing things off a list is hard, sometimes easy.

What’s the snarky narrative? Protection costs and cut of the proceeds... tomatoes, tomato. As proceeds go up, so do protection costs. There are many ways to say it. The end result is all the same.

I think it's a bit ludicrous for those of us sitting up here in the US to claim that they really know what is going on in the back warrens of Playa del Carmen. I certainly don't.

What’s the snarky narrative? Protection costs and cut of the proceeds... tomatoes, tomato. As proceeds go up, so do protection costs. There are many ways to say it. The end result is all the same.

Yeah, I'm failing to see the difference between "cut of the proceeds" and "protection money", unless Zetas have somehow become a legitimate business providing valuable services. In any event, it's close enough that there was no need to be jumping on others for saying it was about protection money.

We both know that it does, but it doesn't fit the proper, popular narrative.
A fraction of the same violence in Playa, and talking heads, (sans brains), let loose.

This reminds me of my childhood. My mother and I moved to Medellin, Colombia, in the late 80's, from Southern, IL. The cartel violence was at it's height, Escobar et. al we're making a mess of everything. The City was on lockdown after 8pm. I was 12. While out to dinner you'd hear a large explosion, and everyone in the restaurant would check their watches. If it was on the hour it was a bomb, if not, then it was just thunder rolling down the valley. People frequently asked if we were worried about getting shot or blown-up etc. The answer was always "no", simply because you knew where not to go. Everyone knew which malls, apartment buildings, and neighborhoods were owned by the "La Mafiosa". And you didn't go there. And that was really not that many places in town. The vast majority of people were just going on and living their lives.

1) As has already ben mentioned, the Blue Parrot shooting was not about protection money. Your source has misinformed you.

Still waiting to hear why you are so quick to jump on someone for saying "protection money" and how "cut of the proceeds" is materially different.

Still waiting to hear why you are so quick to jump on someone for saying "protection money" and how "cut of the proceeds" is materially different.

I don't want to interfere with your argument, er, discussion, but from where I'm sitting it looks like nobody was being protected in which case I would probably refer to it as "getting their cut." :)

I don't want to interfere with your argument, er, discussion, but from where I'm sitting it looks like nobody was being protected in which case I would probably refer to it as "getting their cut." :)

Yeah, that is kind of the point. The "protection is fee" is protection from the cartel. When the price went up and promoter refused to pay, they were no longer protected.

Never mind the mainland. It doesn't matter how you get here...Cancun or Cozumel. There was a shooting here today on the island in broad daylight on Calle 11 (aka Quintana Roo) and Calle 20. Around noon, on a busy street a block from my house. Guys on a moto shot at 3 people in a car, two of them hit. I am shell-shocked that this is what has become of this peaceful island. Just for good measure, someone stole my front license plate off my car last night. So I was sitting in the police station when they got the call about the shooting and watched them all run off to deal with it. When people tell you "it's only outlying areas, not the tourist area" you can no longer believe that. So very, very sorry to say. Here's a link (Facebook) to a video:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom