SoCal Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I just got my NAUI certification a month or two ago and though I have the mask, snorkel, booties, fins, and know which wetsuit I'll be getting formy local environment, I'm stuck on figuring out my BC, regulator, and dive computer.

I'm only NAUI open water (60-feet) certified, but will do my advanced next year. I'd like a wing (wasn't a fan of the vests), but don't need anything crazy. I'm hoping to buy a set of gear that will work even while I polish my skills and get more advanced, but that will also not break my bank.

I'm 5'8, about 190, and the shop near me suggested the Halcyon Eclipse, which seems like a good BG. Only problem id that with all the parts and everything, it's $935. On top of my wet suit and regulator and computer, it's starting to look like almost 2,000 for equipment, and I'm wondering if there's anything compatible without going quite that high.

Any advice?

Halcyon gear is great. It's also really expensive. There's lots of alternative bp/w options out there that are a lot less money and are also great.

Personally, I use a Hollis BP/W set up because I got a great price on it from a socal store.

Other options include stuff like this: Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package

Love my Halcyon rigs but lots of good options out there. You might look at a VDH Argonaut and a basic plate and harness from DGX.

@SoCalColin
Welcome !
SoCal represents a large geographic area - approximately where are you located?

I would suggest that you obtain a copy of California Diving News (CDN) and check for local dive clubs -- Then might want to visit a few of the many SoCal dive clubs - Generally they are populated with very active knowledgeable divers-- don't be bashful - ask for advise.

Sam Miller, 111
NAUI Instructor # A 27

There are a lot of good donut wings available now, in addition to an increasing number of back-inflate BCs. Questions like this will probably get more responses in the Diving Into New Gear forum. There are also quite a few excellent online suppliers who are active here.

It would simplify your search if you can narrow down the buoyancy range (in Lbs or Kg) you need and if you are planning on diving single or double tanks. Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Welcome to the underwater world and to the 'board!
Yes, many options for gear out there and like Akimbo stated, drop down to the "new gear forum".
And while you're dropping down, please fee free to drop into your new local forum here: SoCal and join in our fun. Enjoy!

Welcome! Check out the Facebook group "So Cal Scuba Dive Exchange" for used gear. I got my backplace-wing setup for like $350 on sale. It's the XDeep Ghost. I know some people don't like it but I love it except for the fact that it might not be acceptable for GUE Fundies :( so I might have to sell it for a new one (BTW, I also once said " don't need anything crazy." :banghead:). Also check out the Dive Rite Transpac system. That was my second choice and I think they run around $500-$600 at local shops.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out the other threads and see if I can ifnd anything. I'd like to get something together sooner than later, but it may be that I'll just be waiting for my company bonus to get me started. :)

Welcome to SB. This is a wonderful place to learn about scuba diving. Options for wing explained well in above responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom