Minimal Possibly DIR-like Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you searching specifically for setting up the DGX backplate or a bp/w harness in general? There are plenty of youtube videos out there for setting up a generic bp/w harness.

BP/W harness in general. To be honest I don't remember having much luck but it was a while ago now. I didn't find any videos to be particularly clear on exactly how to setup the hogarthian harness. Specfically the crotch strap... adjusting that thing was a huge PITA with the stiff DGX webbing.

But again once the webbing and plate were in my hands it made sense. Except for that damn crotch strap.

@certainmisuse

Couple of things to help or confuse.

Diver Rite TransPAC - is a soft backplate harness. It was designed for shore diving allowing the weight of the gear to go on your hips. The harness is multi piece with plastic clips to allow easy in and out access and adjustment. It does have some back padding which is slightly buoyant (despite what Dive Rite claim)

The TransPLATE is a similar harness and set up but this time designed to fit in a hard plate

With both you fit which ever wing you desire for yoru needs.

I own both and use the Dive Rite voyager wing. I'm not a die hard DR person, its just is was the gear most suited to my needs and wants that I could buy locally (I like to touch and feel before buying)

The one piece harness as other have discussed is a one piece webbing with no quick releases fitted to a hard backplate of your desire (weight needs) and again a wing of your choice

I used a 1 piece harness on my Side mount rig..

Some wings require the use of a STA (Single tank adaptor) which bolts to teh plate and sandwiches the wing in the middle and has your Cam bands to hold your tank. It adds approx 2lbs to the weight

Other wings like the Diverite do not require a STA with their center section taking the cam bands. Some people recommend a soft OMS tank stabiliser to stop the tank rocking - I use big steels and don't use one and have no issues.

People get put off by the basic webbing harness and metal plate. It's not uncomfortable at all. The shoulder straps don't need to be tight (you should be able to get a clenched fist between teh strap and your chest under water. Teh single webbing harness takes a little bit longer to set up than teh adjustable ones - but it's not too onerous - there are plenty on videos on Youtube

I don't use the adjustments on my straps other than changing the length between exposure suits. Its less faff than a one piece

For additional bits n pieces I use two pockets on my waist belt - personal preference, My dry suit with its thigh pockets is only used 3 months of the year and I prefer to keep my gear in all the same place between rigs

Because I use little weight I use two small pockets on my cam bands - more weight requires a weight belt or harness.

Now BCD - yes I also own one and use it for teaching OW etc if my students are in Jackets (I know too much dive gear)

I can (and do) dive the same configuration (big steel) and I can sling a pony in my BDC It's just as streamlined and just as easier to don and doff under water. I miss it not having a crotch strap on the surface where it rides up when teaching and I wouldn't use it on my big current sites because it create more drag than my wings. Other than that I can jump from one config to teh next without any thought

I use a softer wedding for my crotch strap, Also I didn’t like the D ring placement on the premade crotch strap, So I just went back to my homemade one. You could try soaking yours in fabric softener if you feel it is uncomfortable. But I would really try it in the water with a wet suit first. I would not want to die without a crotch strap after having one, it really controls the BC from sliding up, Not just on the surface but when hanging slightly upside down over the reef or looking under a rock it is very nice!

I dive with an Halcyon Eclise wing on their six pound stainless wing . My single tank adaptor has a six pound lead weight insert. I put two pockets on the tank straps that I use for added weight depending if I wear a t-shirt or a wetsuit. My webbing is one piece and is fitted with Halcyon's cinch Quick system, no extra padding. I have done more than 800 dives with this setup. No weight belt, everything on the back, the crotch strap is made of soft webbing, absolutely necessary for safety and pretty useful when scootering. This configuration is recommended for wreck or cave diving because it minimises entanglement risks, among other things, so pretty good for lost fishing gear entrapment. Think of using a long hose setup, no danglies, no crap no do-dads. Keeping it simple is the way to go. Most of the recommendations given here are spot on.

The research will continue, however:

After a good bit of thought and reading, I have decided to first look at a few Dive Rite options at the LDS (I did find one that carries certain BP/W options, and this is part of the reason for the Dive Rite choice). I am not settled on the TransPlate harness vs. a basic (continuous web) harness, but we can work that out later. It appears that Dive Rite does not carry an aluminum backplate, is this correct? If so, I'm assuming this isn't a big deal if I decide to go with aluminum, as other manufacturer plates should work? I should only need a 25 or 35 lb wing for my single-tank purposes. Are the hole patterns for wings or STA pretty much standard from vendor to vendor in case I want other than Dive Rite there too?

I guess this all begs another question, how many of you stick with the same manufacturer between harness, backplate, and wings?

Thanks everyone, you are great!

Well the springs are cold… I actually wear seven mill in them and my buddies wear five mil. So if you intend to go in the springs you might want a steel plate, and if you intend to ever carry steel doubles, you might want the larger wing. But for warm water diving in three mill off the coast of Florida a lot of people choose an aluminum plate instead of steel, and more like a 25 pound or even 18 pound wing. If you are a big buoyant guy and it takes a lot to sink you, you might also want a steel plate for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom