Two divers critical - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No thanks. There's nothing wrong with the rebreather. There's something wrong with a miniscule fraction of people diving them. CCR isn't for everyone.

This contained a ton of information to a novice diver and non ccr diver like myself. Thank you to the spouse for sharing this information and thank you to you divers for having a civil discussion and bringing up so many good points.

I really am impressed with the spouse. It actually spawned a discussion with my own spouse that should I perish while diving, I want EVERYONE to have access to everything she has access to.

So many times we’re told, “It was medical”. Or, “we’ll have to wait for the autopsy”. Of course we never see that info. For better or for worse, my fault or not, medical or not, I want the community to learn something. And it shouldn’t be all that embarrassing to the family. It’s not like I’m going to be caught masturbating in a cave and lose track of my PPO2. I save that crap for open water dives.

No thanks. There's nothing wrong with the rebreather. There's something wrong with a miniscule fraction of people diving them. CCR isn't for everyone.
I wouldn't argue with what you say as you obviously have a lot more experience than I do - but I worry that CCR diving is being pushed (in parts of the industry at least) as though it is suitable for anybody, and it seems to me a long way from that right now.

I wouldn't argue with what you say as you obviously have a lot more experience than I do - but I worry that CCR diving is being pushed (in parts of the industry at least) as though it is suitable for anybody, and it seems to me a long way from that right now.

I agree with you

This sounds like an example of what I tell people who are thinking about diving.
SCUBA diving is not inherantly dangerous, but it is very unforgiving of error.

I know it's different for CCR (I assume it is at least), but my routine with OC is turn tank on in advance, check tank minutes later that pressure is stable, 3 or 4 breaths, fill wing, 3 or 4 more breaths, jump in. My biggest fear is jumping in with my air turned off with wing deflated.

I know it's different for CCR (I assume it is at least), but my routine with OC is turn tank on in advance, check tank minutes later that pressure is stable, 3 or 4 breaths, fill wing, 3 or 4 more breaths, jump in. My biggest fear is jumping in with my air turned off with wing deflated.

Exactly.

The pre-flight check is important in OC or CCR. And in both cases, it should be done AFTER you have donned the unit, just before you enter the water, as I mentioned upthread. All the various build checks don't replace that.

For OC it's simpler but still important. When I dive OC, after I'm in the unit, ready to splash, I fill my wing, and take three breaths off each regulator while looking at the SPG. If the valve is off or nearly off, you can still draw a breath on the surface, so watching the SPG is important.

Curious - not a CCR diver yet, but I guess my question boils down to this:

Why would a CCR not be monitoring O2 in the breathing loop once it detects it's in the water? And why wouldn't it be monitoring if gas is indeed coming out of the O2 tank like with a flow sensor?

A CCR knows when it's in the water. If it measures any kind of depth, then it knows it's definitely in the water. So if it knows it's in the water, why wouldn't it automatically monitor O2 levels and override "surface mode?" I understand passing out if you're on land at the picnic table, but when it's wet why is this allowed to happen?

If the unit's wet and at any kind of depth, shouldn't it automatically be monitoring O2 content in the loop by default and alarm immediately when there is a drop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom