Bought an air compressor...21% fills for now...concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course. The point is that we can watch our own home systems and have no control over shop systems.
A home system, if you are the sort of person who can and does dive a lot, is wonderful. But it isn’t plug it in and it endlessly produces fills without further work.

A home system, if you are the sort of person who can and does dive a lot, is wonderful. But it isn’t plug it in and it endlessly produces fills without further work.

While it is more than just "plug it in and you're done", generating compressed breathing air really isn't that complicated and the maintenance needed to maintain a system doing so really isn't complicated either. Ability to follow basic directions for operating a mechanical system is really all that's needed, along with a bit of common sense.

A cursory glance at Lawrence Factors list of SCUBA filters will show how many actually have Hopcalite.Or we can suppose, assume and guess and make pedantic pronouncements based on that evidence.

Not every filter they sell is intended to be the final breathing air filter in a filtration system for Grade E or better air. My filtration system has three filters of two types. The final one has Hopcalite (well, LF's Monoxycon brand name for it), and the other two...do not. All three are intended to be used in a scuba filtration *system*, which does not make every one of them independently either intended or suitable for a single breathing air filter. The same goes for filtration systems I have seen for fire department systems. The first one or two "filters" are usually all dessicant and have neither AC nor Hopcalite in them. That does not make them unsuitable for their purpose as part of a filtration system.

I'll be a beer in The Pub, that anyone who has actually called them and said, "here's what I'm doing, here's what I've got, what filters should I buy" and followed their advice has gotten a filter with Hopcalite in it. In fact, I'll buy a round.

If you have a compressor, call them. It costs nothing. Report back. Let us all know if they recommend a system without any Hopcalite in it.

so I bought an Air compressor off of Jim Sheldon. This thing is sweet! Works awesome. I have a few scuba buddies that say it is super dangerous and only recommend a dive shop to do fills. This is 21% not nitrox. I get better fills and save a ton of $. Am I missing something? The safety valves goes off at 3500 PSI. He's sold a ton of units. Military grade. Thoughts?

I'm not seeing where it says which compressor it is or how much you paid. Everyone else seems to know. What did I miss?

I bought a little Cornelius 130R1500 in 2011 and have no regrets. Mine will run from a 15A, 110 outlet. Here is a thread from back then. Some of it may be pertinent:

Is This a Good Buy?

Also, Someone named Terry bought one in I think 2014 but I can't seem to find the thread and I found it very interesting and helpful too. I think he paid about $500 for his. I paid $300 for mine. Someone else here on SB has one that looks brand new! I can't think of who at the moment.

I know I said "no regrets" but I do cringe when I have to buy a gallon of oil.

@JamesBon92007 the guy has had them for sale over the years and many have purchased them. The supply is somewhat dwindling and Jim is retiring so he doesn't have it listed on the website.

The perks of this one is that it's continuous duty rated at 5000psi which is really nice for modern tank fills

I bought a coltri MCH6 like 1.5 years ago, all I can say is the convience is worth every penny.
The start stop switch crapped out and was replaced under Warranty no problem but it sure made me realize how much less diving I do when i have to go to the dive shop for fills

I bought a coltri MCH6 like 1.5 years ago, all I can say is the convience is worth every penny.
The start stop switch crapped out and was replaced under Warranty no problem but it sure made me realize how much less diving I do when i have to go to the dive shop for fills

Make sure you do valve job and overhaul on time. We have an MCH9. It's pretty friggin costly if it gets away from you.

Make sure you do valve job and overhaul on time. We have an MCH9. It's pretty friggin costly if it gets away from you.

I appreciate the advice but You sound like your trying to compare a personal compressor and it’s maintaince to a commercial use application.
They are not even close.
Every person I’ve seen work out maintaince costs seem between 2-2.50 a fill vs here it’s 12 for air and 20 for nitrox

That being said time is money as well
The dive shop is $30 in fuel and 45-1hr each way
I bill myself out at an average of $150/hr
So it’s a potential loss of $300-400 to fill 2 tanks each time
it’s much more cost effective to buy a compressor and fill them at my shop while I’m doing paper work or in the shop working anyways.
And they hold their value fairly well.

My purchase was strictly based on convienence when tank fills are easy I dive a lot more

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom