I will be overweight, anyone else had this problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looks like Batik air has a carry on weight limit. With all my camera gear and camera accessories, regulators, and misc stuff I have to have if my luggage takes a flight somewhere else my carry on is about 30 pounds. Can I pay the tax and if so what is the fee? I don't think I can stuff enough in my pockets to bring the weight down to 15 pounds. Thanks for the help! Bill

No Caruso, I think many of us have had this problem but maybe WBill9 just had the courage to voice it! :stirpot:

What are the connections and what is the aircraft? I've done CGK>MDC several times on Batik/Lion Air in a 737ER and have not run into a problem with a roller case, a well over 15lb camera pack and a soft laptop carrying case. If it's a prop plane then yeah, they are tighter for carry-on. A friend has had to pay excess fees and in Jakarta at least it was pretty simple at a close by station. // ww

No Caruso, I think many of us have had this problem but maybe WBill9 just had the courage to voice it! :stirpot:

What are the connections and what is the aircraft? I've done CGK>MDC several times on Batik/Lion Air in a 737ER and have not run into a problem with a roller case, a well over 15lb camera pack and a soft laptop carrying case. If it's a prop plane then yeah, they are tighter for carry-on. A friend has had to pay excess fees and in Jakarta at least it was pretty simple at a close by station. // ww
@Warmwater Wank - I have seen your posts from time to time here on the board and I keep meaning to ask where in the Middle of Oregon are you? So, I am now asking. I spent 10 years living in Bend, OR and that is almost or pretty much the middle of Oregon. Technically, the middle of Oregon is about 25 miles Southeast of Prineville. So, I guess you are somewhere in the general neighborhood. :wink:

No. You cannot pay for extra carryon.

It's hit and miss as to whether they check your carryon weight. Generally they don't, sometimes they do. You can be asked to gate-check your bag and unfortunately you just have to suck it up. There is actually a safety reason behind it - a 7kg bag dropping out of a bin in an emergency on someone's head is a lot different to a 15kg bag dropping on someone's head.

I have the same problem with my camera gear. You realistically have 3 options:
1. Buy a pelican case and check it and pay the excess checked baggage fee.
2. Buy a camera backpack and keep it on your back at all times and stash it under the seat in front of you for the flight so they never see you having to lift a heavy bag - but accept that if they weigh it before you get to the gate you might need to gate check it. This is what I do - I specifically bought the bag that would fit under the seat.
3. Just take it however you normally would and run the risk that you may be forced to check it anyway.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

OP Bill, your results may vary but I've found Batik pretty easy to deal with during ticketing out of Jakarta, Denpasar and Manado. Like I mentioned, if you check the aircraft listed you'll have a better idea what to plan for. I wouldn't be too concerned if they show it's a 737, real decent overhead storage on those flights.

To be clear, on the prop flights you can't pay extra for carry-on for the reasons just stated so knowing what aircraft you'll be flying will help you plan ahead.

TBoss--So, I should change it to approximating the center of Oregon? Yep, just outside of Bend. // ww

personally I think they should weigh all carry-ons. I would not want to be sitting under a 15kg bag during turbulence. Do consider checking in stuff like regulators and other misc stuff.

Flying to the Philippines, on a different airline, but with same limit restrictions, in a total of 6 flights I got checked for weight twice.
Once was in US on our way out, and when they saw an underwater housing in the bag, they let me slide by.
Second was on a dometic leg between resorts. Because I knew they would be checking, I had a significant amount of stuff in my photographer vest and my carry on was exactly 7kg.

I think the vest is Uncle Milty from Amazon, and it's awesome. You can fit a tripod on each side of the vest even... Basically everything except the housing can go into the vest, I had 4 DS160 strobes, all the arms, batteries, lenses, etc. Sure, you look silly. What I do is put that vest in the carryon and if they weigh the carry on, then I can pull stuff out and stuff it in the vest.

Strobes and batteries weigh a lot and you can also try using a fanny pack to carry those, if that gets you under the limit without needing the ugly vest

So, can you bring on 2 bags: a backpack around 7 km and a fanny pack or something similarly small?

I haven't been to the region you're asking specifically about. I will offer a general solution I have used 6 times so far when carryon weight was an issue.

The contents of pockets on your body are not weighed. The size of your clothing is not regulated. A photographer's vest, trench coat or pockets under a loose fitting shirt can hold a heavy gear without problem.

...be sure to remove the equipment for security.

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom