Which package to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to diving and would like to purchase my own gear. I live in the midwest andwill be diving mostly quarries and mines (water between 44 and 60 degrees). There are 2 do love shops by me. One sells ScubaPro and one sells Mares. I'm looking for opinions on which package to buy.

Mares
Prestige BCD
Prestige 15x reg set
Prestige octo
Puck Air with compass
$1360

ScubaPro
Glide X BCD
Mk11/C370 reg set
R095 octo
Oceanic VEO 2.0 triple gauge console
$1600

Thank you.

Hello Ahle

There is nothing wrong with either of these packages. Either would serve you well for a lifetime of diving.

Like many on Scubaboard, I have purchased my gear from various sources and rarely buy much of anything from local dive shops. Someone will be along shortly to explain the benefits of BP/W bcs and primary donate, and the drawbacks of air-integrated dive computers. That is my own configuration and it is a better fit for the diving I do than the Mares or Scubapro packages you mention would be; also, it was considerably cheaper.

But, if a jacket BC, octo, and air-integrated dive computer are what you want, either of the packages you're looking at would be fine.

going with the dgx deep 6 reg set and a dgx or vdh bpw would leave enough for a used petrel

some comments...and subjective opinion...

Personally I'd want the compass on my wrist although a buddy does fine with his in a console.

To me the compass on the Puck looks like an afterthought and easily scuffed if you drag the console at any time.

The C370 is the new Scubapro 2nd fwiw.

Are you set on a jacket? I'm a fan of back-inflate bcd's personally - IMO they trim better horizontally. Jackets are better at floating you vertically at the surface.

For the diving you're talking about - you could not go wrong with a Scubapro Knighthawk back inflate either - your dealer should be able to offer it in a package since they're the same price.

I'm pretty sure that what you'd be buying qualifies you for free parts for life on reg service from Scubapro also but that might only be with the inclusion of one of their computers as well.

Not a big enough consideration to sway your decision either way though - labor is the costly part of reg service.

IDK the Prestige at all but if the tank suspension is plastic - walk away....after a few years in the sun other Mares bcd's have cracked at the mounting points - there's a few posts about it here on SB,

hth,

A few comments from a fairly new diver who was certified last year and literally bought all of my original gear BEFORE the certification process:

1) If you're still new, you don't really know what you want, or are even looking for yet. I did LOADS of research all over the internet, with a boatload of it on this site alone. Even after doing that research, I still have completely different gear this year than I had last. I'm sure you could be perfectly happy with either of those packages for a long time (I don't really know much about either of them, so I won't assume to know if they are good or bad), but if you are already on this site asking questions, I would be willing to bet you will stay on this site and continue to read about other types of gear that may make you want to switch in the future (possibly sooner than you think). You will also learn a ton about equipment by just diving it. Research only takes you so far.

2) A lot of people love the triple-gauge "brick" consoles. I started out with an Oceanic Swivcon 3-gauge and replaced it with a brass and glass SPG after my certification was over (5 dives). I found a wrist computer and an SPG significantly easier to deal with. If you want a compass as well, there are many options, which include a wrist compass, one attached to a slate, one that is integrated into your wrist computer, one that is on a retractor hooked to a BCD d-ring, etc. Again, you may love the three-gauge, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I would consider renting different options before committing to a purchase. You can save a ton of money (this is true with pretty much all the gear).

3) I know nothing about those regulators, so I'm not going to comment on their quality. I bought a really nice reg (Zeagle F8) and Octo through my dive shop; and then after being on this site a while and learning about other options, got my fiance a Deep 6 Signature single tank regulator package. I wholeheartedly wish I had bought the same one for myself. I love my regulator, it's great, but I would have saved a ton of money going with Deep 6, which breathes every bit as wonderfully as my Zeagle. A bonus with buying that package is that it comes with an SPG or console, as well as an octo, so you don't even have to buy those separately. Their service is also great. The first reg service is free, and you get a parts kit and nice dry box (not to mention the T-Shirt) with it.

4) I went with a back-inflate BCD (now changed to a Backplate and Wing, but that's a whole other story), and it was great. I'm happy I went with that style over a jacket. One thing that I thought was great about it when I first got the BCD was all of the pockets and extra D-rings. Turns out, I didn't need them, and they encouraged me to carry a bunch of crap I didn't really need for my kind of diving. Think about what you'll be bringing with you on a dive and if you really need pockets and d-rings and anything else the BCD's come with. Again, at this point, you might not even know what you'll be bringing on a dive.

Sorry to not answer your question specifically, I just don't know enough about that gear to give an opinion. I just thought I would throw in my experience as a new diver buying equipment.

Buying packages may be a cheaper option but not necessarily bring the most enjoyable result. Eventually the amount of money you save on package deals will turn out to be insignificant, compared to the expenses of diving itself. Alas, you are in an expensive sport. From all what you mentioned, I probably would avoid consoles. As for the compass, nothing beats a good old school analog one. Normally you would want it in front of you when navigating. Not so easily done if it is on a console or strapped on your wrist. In my experience a compass serves best with a bungee mount. You can slide it off and hold it or mount it on top your palm. Hoseless air integrated computers get cheaper over time and are really nice and comfortable.

This one is a very good compass, redy to go.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll definitely look into Deep 6 regs when I have time (going diving today!).

Follow up question: Are most of you loyal to one specific LDS or do you shop around and also buy online?

Capsfan22 is right and exactly what I recommend to all new divers! Buy yourself a dive computer; it's the most important gear you will risk your life on. ..why rent something you've never used? They are so much more affordable now and I have the scubapro Aladin one and my husband has the later and better version, scubapro tec 3G (three gasses) because we can change the battery on our own; they're great, affordable computers with all the bells and whistles. Find yourself the right fins, mask, and boots (this seemingly basic stuff is actually not intuitive because everything fits fine until you find your version of seac fins and cressi big eye mask). Don't buy anything else until you dive a lot more and actually wear the bcd like a glove! This took me over 50 dives trying on new bcds all the time before choosing my Zeagle Stiletto. It also depends on the kind of diver you turn out to be (tech, wreck, rec, warm or cold water). Finally, the last thing I bought was my regulator (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my AquaLung Legend set as I can use it on warm and cold water dives! !!!!!!!!!!). Suits are preference and depending on where you dive you will need a different thickness. Bottom line on suits: you will always find one comfortable for you; buy one you will use immediately and for the near future.

Don't settle on a set. Most divers have a mix of everything and we compare to find better versions. Wait as long as you can before buying a BCD; it's the most important and expensive investment which will last over 20 years if you keep it well. Buy yourself a versatile dive computer that you can change the battery on your own (my husband had the Uwatech Aladin Pro, now purchased by ScubaPro, and the battery changes alone cost $100!). Buy a regulator once you know where you will dive as the cold water compatible ones are more expensive.

If I bought a set after getting certified, I would have a good AquaLung set. ...not my perfect Frankenstein I currently own! Thinking about selling/trading pieces individually is annoying and time consuming, especially if you find the perfect solution but wait until you sell yours before buying it. Just wait on some components; you'll be much happier.

Do you consider "mine" diving to be overhead ? If so, that opens up other questions.

I would try To avoid "octos". There is a big advantage in have both 2nd stages equal in performance.

Do you consider "mine" diving to be overhead ? If so, that opens up other questions.

I would try To avoid "octos". There is a big advantage in have both 2nd stages equal in performance.
I didn't catch the "mine" part earlier but he's absolutely right - overhead obstricted diving requires more specialized gear/training and likely none of it is what you're considering.

ex: Some regs come with "cave rings" so you can clean a 2nd stage while breathing on another one if you don't have breathable air above you - things like that.

Also you'll need a lot more redundancy - dual tanks,are likely - neither BC you're considering can mount them - probably a completely redundant set of regs - some of those route better for doubles also.

Sidemount BCD's are specialized also if you don't want them on your back - and each requires it's own reg. Even if you just sling a 2nd tank - some BCD's have better harnesses and mounting points than others. Good lights aren't cheap either and you want a couple of them.

Plus a lot of specialized training.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom