Newbie - how do I wear a long hose for primary regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I don't know, maybe something about deco and trimix (and twins to an extent) being part of technical diving, you know, where it's fairly easy to die if you screw up. I have no idea why you are comparing that sort of training with switching the length of your regulator hose in open water recreational settings.

Nobody needs a class for a pony either, BTW.
But you can read all about how to do deco dives. It is just putting a regulator in your mouth and breathing after all. And taking one out and putting another in is covered in the initial training. Seems like the concequences of screwing up using a long hose are remarkably similar to screwing up a deco dive, worse perhaps.

You are ignoring that each of these is a small step beyond the previous step. Anyone that can do a dive really can do a deco dive, anyone that can do a deco dive really can do accelerated deco and anyone that can do accelerated deco can do Trimix. None of those steps is fundamentally harder than going from a 40 inch secondary to a 7ft primary and bungeed secondary. So if you want to propose doing that based on what some random internet poster tells you then why not the whole deal?

@KenGordon , as I put it in the other thread/poll: "Lots of things about diving seem easy when considered in isolation, but when you're trying to do it all together it can help to get input from people who have been there before." EVERYTHING about diving could be considered just adding one more bit to what you already know, and none of the bits by themselves are especially difficult to learn. One could make a persuasive argument that instruction is not needed to learn any of those bits. I like your use of hyperbole to make to the point.

But you can read all about how to do deco dives. It is just putting a regulator in your mouth and breathing after all.

As a matter of fact that was how I learned back in the '60's. Of course I had no choice to take a class at the time. I do think it is an improvement that classes are available now, but as you say "It is just putting a regulator in your mouth and breathing after all".

Bob

I am very grateful for the learned discussion in response to my initial post as well as all the useful links that have been generously posted. In the end I went back to the LDS in search of a 40' as a compromise but they didn't have any. Then I put on full rig and tank with long hose and it felt OK, so I am sticking with that. I got this configuration because I am doing a wreck diving course and wanted to be prepared. I don't really feel experienced enough as a diver to wear this set up - a bit like a skier who has just got out of snowplough and gone bought himself a pair of racing skis, but I do like to challenge myself, and I hope someday to do full wreck penetration and should get used to the long hose before then. Basically Ive bought my first regulator and bcd for this trip and am just as concerned about them functioning properly. The regulator - will it work straight out of the box or do I have to make adjustments? That kind of noob question. And the guy wants to wear a long hose too? So hats off to you more experienced guys.

I am very grateful for the learned discussion in response to my initial post as well as all the useful links that have been generously posted. In the end I went back to the LDS in search of a 40' as a compromise but they didn't have any. Then I put on full rig and tank with long hose and it felt OK, so I am sticking with that. I got this configuration because I am doing a wreck diving course and wanted to be prepared. I don't really feel experienced enough as a diver to wear this set up - a bit like a skier who has just got out of snowplough and gone bought himself a pair of racing skis, but I do like to challenge myself, and I hope someday to do full wreck penetration and should get used to the long hose before then. Basically Ive bought my first regulator and bcd for this trip and am just as concerned about them functioning properly. The regulator - will it work straight out of the box or do I have to make adjustments? That kind of noob question. And the guy wants to wear a long hose too? So hats off to you more experienced guys.
I'm not that much more experienced,but I'll go on a limb here and say that your regulator will work just fine. If it was me, I would check if all hoses are tight enough, and it is about that. There are other things you can check out, like IP pressure and stuff, but unless you are DIY trained, not much you can do about it other than take it to your shop.

The regulator - will it work straight out of the box or do I have to make adjustments?

It should be fine, but I would check it on a tank just to be sure. If you purchased your regulator setup from a dive shop then they should have checked everything and adjusted as needed. Sometimes the second stages need to be adjusted a bit, especially the octopus, to work with the first stage. If you purchased the parts from several sources and assembled them yourself then an adjustment may be necessary.

Tie a snap link to your SPG and another to your long hose reg if not already done.

Bungee necklace for your secondary.

If the shop assembled everything you should be good to go. Just breath each regulator to check them before you jump in the water.

One thing to be aware of and to practice. When you attach a bolt snap to the primary reg hose be aware of it when you deploy an smb. If you use your reg exhaust to inflate your smb, your line can get caught in the bolt snap and then things get interesting quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom