Surf wetsuit vs Diving wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have owned a Mares Reef 3 for 2 years, its a solid piece of wetsuit, never wears out and keeps in perfect shape throughout the time, but I had a little complain about keeping me warm. I have recently come to put on a wetsuit by Mystic, which is a surfing/kiteboarding brand on its model Majestic 3/2, and I have to say I’m very impressed with the waterproof and it feels dry on the inside of my body, in the way I’ve never experienced.

Therefore in someway I think a surfing wetsuit might be better than a diving wetsuit (wetsuit developed and branded with a diving equipment company), although I never really look into the technical differences between the two.

Then I look into the lining of the Mystic suit I find a label says “NOT A DIVING SUIT”, which confuses me more. Because when I actually use it in the water it does feel warmer and more comfortable in a surfing wetsuit.

Any one here have an experience sharing the pros/cons using wetsuits intended for different applications underwater? Does it make any difference technically between these?

surf wetsuits are generally stretchier and less dense neoprene. they don't hold up to the compression as well of diving, so they wear out a bit faster and get thinner comparatively at depth so not as insulating. not a big deal for 3mm usually though. the mystic might just fit you better since you are getting less water ingress. a well fitting suit will not have a large amount of water sloshing in and out.

The surf suit can be cheaper than the same thickness dive suit. I find that a 3 mil surf suit works just fine for me in warm water diving. A brand new suit will always seem superior to the suit it is replacing as it has not gone through the wear and tear of the old suit.

I've used various shorty surfing wetsuits for warm water diving over the years. Never really thought twice about it. I'm wearing an O'neil in my avatar.

I understand being fit to the wetsuit is a determine factor for the warmness felt in a suit. Most of the time I find the Mares suit pretty good fit so as to tell the difference.
Im not sure if its true for all diving suits, but for the Mares Wetsuit, when I try to hold it tight and make a balloon with it and compress it, the bubble will just blow out quickly, then I turn to the Mystic surf suit and do the same thing, it take much longer for the bubble fade away. I guess the neoprene materials used for diving suit and a surf wetsuit are different in its water permeability? Maybe someone having a higher-end diving suit will have a different result here.

I used my 3/2 surfing wetsuit, it kept me warm around 75 degrees. For those kinds of temps I'd just use what you have

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom