Need a drysuit? Bring your questions to this roundtable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do they "retain the wrist seals" if the glove fails? I was under the impression that there's an inherent tradeoff: if the dryglove scheme retains the wrist seal, then there is no equalization between the glove and the suit, resulting in hand squeeze at depth?

I don't know about those, but my Kubi setup keeps the wrist seals while using gloves.

To facilitate equalization, I do one of two things: Wear my Xerotherm wrist warmers and put them on before donning the top of the suit. The wrist warmers get trapped under the wrist seal and allows air through to equalize. If I hole a glove, my plan is to pull the wrist warmers out from under the seals. Keyword: "plan".

Option 2 is I tied a loop of thin bungee which I put around my middle finger and let run down the back of my hand as I don the top of the suit. That is trapped under the wrist seal and allows equalization. Again, the plan being that if I hole a glove, I can pull the bungee out of the wrist seal.

In reality, I have only holed a glove once, so far, and the hole was so small I wasn't getting enough water in to worry about it getting under the my wrist seal and into the rest of the suit.

Even if I don't remove the wrist warmer or bungee, the seal that is there still would keep a lot of water out of my suit arm compared to having no seal at all.

Yeah, that's my understanding of how people do it with typical dryglove systems--it seems like a workaround. @laikabear 's comment seemed to imply that the Smart Glove / Smart Seal system actually addresses the problem. Just curious.

Yeah, that's my understanding of how people do it with typical dryglove systems--it seems like a workaround. @laikabear 's comment seemed to imply that the Smart Glove / Smart Seal system actually addresses the problem. Just curious.

I forgot about having read before that dry gloves which retain wrist seals would experience a squeeze. I didn't notice that at all on this dive to 60 feet max. Maybe because the gloves were pretty tight already, so there wasn't much air in them to squeeze? Or maybe the squeeze is more noticeable at deeper depths? Although that seems unlikely because you'd think the first 1 atm would be the biggest change.

I think I had read someone put straws like the little coffee stirrers in their seals. I would not want to try to trap part of my undergarment under the seal because I have a lot of trouble getting the thumb loops off when I am donning the seals. I think underwater I'd have a huge flood before I could tuck the undergarment back under, if I could at all.

I wonder if anyone else is using a similar system and not addressing the squeeze issue. Maybe it is more of a theoretical concern?

We are also discussing it on this other thread.

For shallow dives I generally don't bother with equalizing tubes, bungee, whatever. Just let the hands stay in there own little enviroment. Start getting some depth, much time below 60' and the hand squeeze is noticable. So they do go in.

I've had two different glove leaks. both were shallow and the wrist seal worked as it should. I just dove with a wet glove. But all is not joy, I did get an air bubble to burp past the wrist seal and into a glove once. It was a shallow dive and without any equalizing possible the glove grew as I ascended. Something to keep in mind.

I'll probably keep with my current trend. Isolation for short and shallow dives, but vented wrist seals for deeper stuff. I do like my Kubis. New pair of gloves can be had on ZORO for $2, no point in even thinkig of ever patching them.

For shallow dives I generally don't bother with equalizing tubes, bungee, whatever. Just let the hands stay in there own little enviroment. Start getting some depth, much time below 60' and the hand squeeze is noticable. So they do go in.

I've had two different glove leaks. both were shallow and the wrist seal worked as it should. I just dove with a wet glove. But all is not joy, I did get an air bubble to burp past the wrist seal and into a glove once. It was a shallow dive and without any equalizing possible the glove grew as I ascended. Something to keep in mind.

I'll probably keep with my current trend. Isolation for short and shallow dives, but vented wrist seals for deeper stuff. I do like my Kubis. New pair of gloves can be had on ZORO for $2, no point in even thinkig of ever patching them.

How do you vent them on the deeper dives?

Pulling your Undersuit a little under the seal will make it vent.
If you get a leak the water inlet will be minimal.

Maybe because the gloves were pretty tight already, so there wasn't much air in them to squeeze?
Pressure is pressure, whether air or water.
Never dove with dry gloves (it is in my plans), but did see one interesting method of equalization/flood problem. Take a thick-ish wool string and tie a large-ish knot at one end. Straight end goes under your seal,just enough to break a seal, knot goes approximately at the center of your palm. If you get a glove flood, bend your fingers at 90, it will cause some bunch up of your glove, pick knot with your other hand and straighten your fingers. It should allow you to pull string under you seal to keep flooding suit. At least, it sounds fine in theory, I have no idea how effective it is in practice.

Just tuck your under glove into the seal, if it leaks pull the sleeve up your arm so the glove slips out from under the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom