Which cenotes near PDC should I visit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not really know what is getting in the water, but friends of mine will no longer go there.

Some people of mine have had skin rashes after visiting. It started sometime early last year, and things have gotten worse since.

Close to PDC I can recommend Chiken-Ha as well, nice dive between three different entrances with nice haloclines.
Otherwise Carwash and Temple of Doom are amazing..need to get back to dive more

I do not really know what is getting in the water, but friends of mine will no longer go there.

Some people of mine have had skin rashes after visiting. It started sometime early last year, and things have gotten worse since.

We were there this past September and both my husband and myself got ear infections, so was thinking it might have been “dirty”? But we were in several different cenotes so really don’t know which one.

And some people say dirty water doesn’t cause ear infections so I don’t know.

Last edited:
For those not really needing to be near the beach, there is great cenote diving around Merida.

A friend of mine has a shop there. It is called Dive Altabrisa. No ocean diving there, but apparently great cenotes.

@Diverspoint I'd be interested in finding out what you mean that Chac Mool is contaminated. I was diving in Chac Mool in May and found it to be a really nice dive.

@laikabear Regardless, Chac Mool is an okay dive. It is nothing special but if you never been cenote diving, it is a good dive to start with. Chikin Ha is also another good first cenote to dive.

If you have trouble equalizing or ear troubles in general, avoid Taj Mahal. There is a lot of up and down in that dive. I'm not great at equalizing; it always takes me a while to get my ears to clear. Taj Mahal was pushing it for me. At one point I had to signal the guide to give me a little time on one of the descents.

I really liked Dos Ojos and the bat cave in that cenote.

All these dives are good beginner dives. I don't know if 'not cavern trained' means you haven't been cenote diving before. If you haven't been cenote diving, these are good cenotes to begin with. They aren't as advanced and if you haven't been cenote diving before, you'll still be impressed with these cenotes.

For all these cenotes, try to get there early. Because they are good for beginners, they can get a little busy. Once you get some novice divers in there, they tend to silt up the place. When I went to Taj Mahal, it was REALLY early in the morning (I was staying just 10 minutes away). The water was amazingly clear; we were the first people there and the water was so clear I couldn't even see it until the guide slapped it.

I also went with just me and the guide. So I didn't even have to worry about other divers in our group. The second time I went there I got a discount because I'm a DM and they asked me to take up the rear and watch after the other divers. :( Definitely worth paying for a private tour the first time.

Repeating what I hear from friends that used to go there at least once a week they don't know, and the owner does not want to know.

Those same friends are now very reluctant to go to Chac Mool, after several had skin rashes and ear infections several times, always some 2 to 3 days after visiting Chac Mool.

Not nearby but very rear, different from others cenotes you can't find it any other place in the world is Zapote, needed to go with a group.

Cheers

If you are prone to ear infections it would be a good idea to use ear swish. I usually stop at the pharmacy and get some rubbing alcohol and peroxide and vinegar. Mix it in equal parts with clean water and rinse your ears out with it after each cenote dive. It works well for me and my friends.
Chac Mool is not the most spectacular cenote dive but it does have some interesting features, one being the salt water is fairly close to the surface there and a good part of the dive will be in the halocline. I doubt it is any more contaminated than any others, in fact they are all pretty much connected to each other and there is constant flow.

If you are prone to ear infections it would be a good idea to use ear swish. I usually stop at the pharmacy and get some rubbing alcohol and peroxide and vinegar. Mix it in equal parts with clean water and rinse your ears out with it after each cenote dive. It works well for me and my friends.
Chac Mool is not the most spectacular cenote dive but it does have some interesting features, one being the salt water is fairly close to the surface there and a good part of the dive will be in the halocline. I doubt it is any more contaminated than any others, in fact they are all pretty much connected to each other and there is constant flow.

How does one exactly rinse or wash one’s ears? Do I squirt the liquid in and rotate my head? Won’t I get liquid stuck inside, like sometimes I get when swimming?

How does one exactly rinse or wash one’s ears? Do I squirt the liquid in and rotate my head? Won’t I get liquid stuck inside, like sometimes I get when swimming?
I tilt my head to side, pour it in and let sit there for a minute then repeat for the other side.

Back
Top Bottom