Instead of spitting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember, this is next to your eyes. Whatever you put in there, has to be compatible with your eyes. Back in the sixties I was sold a small bottle of anti-fog that smelled of petroleum. I used a bit and I guess I didn't rinse it out enough. It darn near blinded me as I was diving Alexander Springs. Man, that hurt. I've been licking my mask clean ever since.

I use dish detergent like Dawn or Sunlight. I have a small bottle and fill with a couple drops of dish detergent and the rest with water. Creates a mild sudsy film and rinse well before placement on face. Works great!

I use dish detergent like Dawn or Sunlight. I have a small bottle and fill with a couple drops of dish detergent and the rest with water. Creates a mild sudsy film and rinse well before placement on face. Works great!
But dish detergent will sting the hell out of your eyes if there is any residual not rinsed out.

Baby shampoo is a much better choice as it's tear free. I mix 1/3 baby shampoo and 2/3 water in a small spray bottle and carry in my dive bag. I hit the inside of the mask with 2 sprays right before I splash and usually don't even rinse it out - works great!

Another vote for baby shampoo. $1 a bottle at the local Dollar Store or equivalent. I use it the same way. A drop or two on each side, coat the surface, rinse clean, go diving. It works just as well, if not better, as commercial defoggers costing hundreds of times more!

But wait!

You can use that $7 bottle you got with the Acme Number One Mask Defogger (tm) in it to save space in your dive bag or milk crate by refilling it at need from that $1 bottle of baby shampoo. You'll probably get about 50 refills for that $1, or 2 cents per refill vs. $7. That's 1/350 of the cost!

Stop at your local Dollar Store today!

I wonder if they'll moderate away "that's what she said"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom