My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh .. Come on really?

SM a fad. That's a foolish statement. I'm sure some people do get into it because it's the latest and greatest but still.

If I had to choose I'd choose SM over doubles every time. With SM you just have two single cylinders to lug into the car rather than some Manifolded twins. It's pretty easy to pick up a couple of tanks from your stock and put them in the SM slings rather than setting up a pair of manifolded twins, which you'll generally keep rigged as dedicated units

At the end of the day you still have two cylinders and the same gas and similar redundancy (obviously a manifold has the advantage here)

And if your on a boat thats off to a 40m+ site everyone (except the foolish) are going armed with multiple cylinders of back gas and deco etc. so they're prepared for that. Does a SM rig take more space than a twinset?

I love the way SB gets bent out of shape about the silliest things

I agree that SM is not a fad. But, SM every time? Not me. There are times when I think each one has an advantage. So, I'd pick one depending on the specifics.

Most of the time, for me, I roll up in the parking lot, put my wing and BP on my BM doubles, stand them up on the tailgate of my truck, put them on my back, walk to the boat, sit down in my bench spot, and shrug them off. It's a lot easier than carrying 2 individual cylinders in my hands. My friends with SUVs do the same thing, so a pickup is not a requirement for this.

Also, I use 120s for BM doubles. I think the 120s are probably too long for me - and certainly too long for some people - to use as SM cylinders. I am using 100s for SM. So, it seems to me that there is an advantage to BM doubles in terms of the amount of gas you can carry (conveniently). Most of my tech diving friends started with BM 100 doubles and most of them seem to have eventually concluded that 100s aren't big enough for the tech dives they want to do and have gotten themselves bigger cylinders. Going bigger in BM is no big deal. Bigger in SM does seem like it has the potential to be more of a problem.

And, if you are carrying 4 cylinders (2 bottom gas and 2 deco gas), which is really easier to deal with in the water? 2 on your back and 2 on your left side (or even 1 left and 1 right), or 1 on your right and 3 on your left? Sure, you can do it in SM, but it sure seems like it is EASIER (in the water) with 2 on your back. Maybe I'll change my mind on that when I am more experienced in SM.

And, if you are carrying 4 cylinders (2 bottom gas and 2 deco gas), which is really easier to deal with in the water? 2 on your back and 2 on your left side (or even 1 left and 1 right), or 1 on your right and 3 on your left? Sure, you can do it in SM, but it sure seems like it is EASIER (in the water) with 2 on your back. Maybe I'll change my mind on that when I am more experienced in SM.

All stages/deco on the left seems to be more of a BM convention. Everyone I know doing staged decompression diving using SM puts deco bottles on either side, following RR/LL.

I'm working toward side mount for redundancy in the moderate total gas category, from single BM. It seems more streamlined than single BM+pony, with more readily manageable capacity to the system. It is more flexible, both physically and logistically, than BM doubles. There are always lots of single tanks, I just need two of them to go diving, 63 + 19, 40 + 40, 80 + 80, rather than a manifold BM setup. I can always fall back to single BM + small pony.

With two bottom tanks and two accelerated deco tanks, yes side mount gets crowded and BM doubles makes sense for the bottom gas, but that's more than I expect to need, soon. Though I might suffer and put up with it.

I plan on going tech in the future. There was never any question it would eventually happen. I'm not interested in caves at all, but deeper wrecks, especially on the Great Lakes? Heck, yes! :D My goal is the Thomas Hume in Lake Michigan, at 145ft (very pretty wreck that went down in 1891, very well preserved). I'm Great Lakes wreck obsessed and have been for something like 25 years. My wreck class with limited penetration is this weekend. I've already been diving some Great Lakes wrecks.

What skills do I need to have down cold before I begin any tech training?

I'm currently at 62 dives. Have Advanced rating and Nitrox, as well as drysuit. I'm planning on the SM class next season (BM doubles are not possible due to knee issues, period). Solo/intro to tech in 2019. AN/DP maybe in 2020. Advanced Wreck and trimix, who knows when. I figure it may very well take me 5 years to get to the point where I can dive the Hume.

Earlier this summer I had the opportunity to observe an AN/DP class working on dropping and retrieving stage bottles at the local quarry (they came to the platform I was working on). That was very interesting to watch.

I'm looking for info such as: need to be able to hover within x amount of deviation (1ft, or whatever it is), etc. That sort of thing. Would like to know what exactly I need to work on. I'm something of a long-term planner. :wink: Thanks!
GUE.

Read the thread. Should be obvious enough.

Not sure which part I should be reading to find the specific info that discouraged you from GUE.

They are expensive but they offer solid training if you are into standard gasses. If you like to do best mix that is specific to each dive then this is not the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom