My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be diving wrecks in SM. Neither of which GUE trains for.

Steve Lewis (Doppler) comes to mind. Great tech / sidemount / wreck instructor.

To help clarify, most our local charter boats drop a leash with a bunch of loops over board. Divers with stages, bailout, deco, or side mount cylinders just clip their tanks to a loop on the leash. Works very easy to deploy or retrieve your tanks from either onboard or in the water, even with multiple tanks attached. It's really not that complicated or time consuming. :)

I agree that SM is not a fad. But, SM every time? Not me. There are times when I think each one has an advantage. So, I'd pick one depending on the specifics.

Most of the time, for me, I roll up in the parking lot, put my wing and BP on my BM doubles, stand them up on the tailgate of my truck, put them on my back, walk to the boat, sit down in my bench spot, and shrug them off. It's a lot easier than carrying 2 individual cylinders in my hands. My friends with SUVs do the same thing, so a pickup is not a requirement for this.

And that works for you, which is fine. Marie on the other hand has knee issues hence her SM choice. and my point (not aimed at you btw) is that I didn't understand the criticism of SM for great lakes diving.

Around my way, twins are rare most are SM which certainly makes it easier to get to the boat. On teh boat it's easier (for me) to move and arrange SM gear if I need to

Because even with BM I sling an AL80 as a redundant handing off cylinders to me is the norm and am happy to assist when I'm running the boat - but that doesn't mean I'll be against someone with twins.

As for commercial operators, obviously they all have their choices dependant on who they want on their boats. Here we are happy to take either, we'll even take RB pilots because it doesn't matter what kit they use, their money is all the same :) and we can deal with all

To help clarify, most our local charter boats drop a leash with a bunch of loops over board. Divers with stages, bailout, deco, or side mount cylinders just clip their tanks to a loop on the leash. Works very easy to deploy or retrieve your tanks from either onboard or in the water, even with multiple tanks attached. It's really not that complicated or time consuming. :)
How do they avoid smashing these cylinders against the hull? Do they have a crane?

How do they avoid smashing these cylinders against the hull? Do they have a crane?
??Not sure i understand your question. Nothing is smashing against the hull and no crane is needed. You may be overthinking this. :)

This is pretty common in technical diving. The line hangs over the side, the tanks are clipped off to it and dropped overboard into the water.

So, you surface, take of and clip the cylinders to some line hamging over the side of the boat. It sinks and is now holding a line vertically down the hull. Or it floats next to the hull. Waves hit the boat, the boat moves up and down. What keeps them banging against the hull?

So, you surface, take of and clip the cylinders to some line hamging over the side of the boat. It sinks and is now holding a line vertically down the hull. Or it floats next to the hull. Waves hit the boat, the boat moves up and down. What keeps them banging against the hull?

Cause they're hanging below the level of the keel.

I remember doing the same thing with stages on some Great Lakes dives a while back. There was no banging involved.

What keeps them from banging against the hull when you pull them up?

What keeps them from banging against the hull when you pull them up?

Having only one cylinder clipped at each depth point and being delicate when you are pulling them up. Also depends on the boat set up and/or the seas on the day of the dive

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom